Favorite CFL uniforms

74_75_78_79_

Favorite CFL uniforms

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

A past version of one or present. I’m not knowledgeable at all of older ones so for the present, I’d say Winnipeg’s. I like the color-combo.
Reaser

Re: Favorite CFL uniforms

Post by Reaser »

I liked Sacramento's because it was basically a continuation of the Surge and I was a huge WLAF fan.

But I think the CFL has generally always always had good uniforms which is probably due to teams generally keeping the same look over time. When they show a clip from 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago you instantly know the teams because it's either the same, the same with only minor changes, or same colors. Only time it gets ridiculous is with the alternate 'signature' uniforms, not a fan of Edmonton's EE jersey and Montreal's is ridiculous. Don't like Calgary's much either.

Favorite, not-counting WLAF bias, was probably the Eskimos for the first half of the 90's. Current favorite is Winnipeg, think they pretty clearly have the best.

I'd say, not counting the alternates, the only two things I DON'T like currently are the Lions helmet logo (prefer the old "BC") and the Eskimos number font (prefer the early 90's mentioned above). Otherwise a great set of unis league-wide.

If anyone hasn't noticed, Montreal is using throwback logos all season so every couple games their helmet logo is changing. Such as Manziel's first start last night (a debacle, he played bad but also didn't get much help which was expected from the worst team in the league).
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The current Saskatchewan Roughriders logo is nice with the two wheat stalks on either side of the italicized S.

74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I agree CFL in-general have a great set of unis league-wide and I'm not too crazy about Montreal's either. Sask's logo is real straight-to-the-point business-like. They're, pretty much, the Packers of the CFL; small market yet thrive. I guess my favorite team in the CFL is BC. Any variation that I've ever seen of the Lions, 'paw' or 'BC', I approve.

Looking at an old pic of Russ Jackson a while back, I like those old Ottawa Rough Rider unis. Big 'R' on the helmet along with the big numbers in front and back. Seeing a pic of him coaching the Argos, I like that 'A' on their helmets as well. Past and present, CFL has real good unis overall.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Looking at an old pic of Russ Jackson a while back, I like those old Ottawa Rough Rider unis. Big 'R' on the helmet along with the big numbers in front and back. Seeing a pic of him coaching the Argos, I like that 'A' on their helmets as well. Past and present, CFL has real good unis overall.
I liked the Ottawa "R" and Argos "A" helmets/unis also. Classics.

Huge fan of Sask's unis and logo, going far back too. Always looks good no matter what they do.

First CFL game I saw on TV when I was a kid -and didn't know what it was- was Saskatchewan, don't remember who they were playing or anything other than I remember their "S". Started watching the CFL after that.

Though my favorite team quickly became the Eskimos, color combo same as my HS and they always had my favorite players. Particularly Gizmo who was my favorite CFL player when I was a kid and probably can say he's still my favorite 'all-time'.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I agree CFL in-general have a great set of unis league-wide and I'm not too crazy about Montreal's either. Sask's logo is real straight-to-the-point business-like. They're, pretty much, the Packers of the CFL; small market yet thrive. I guess my favorite team in the CFL is BC. Any variation that I've ever seen of the Lions, 'paw' or 'BC', I approve.

Looking at an old pic of Russ Jackson a while back, I like those old Ottawa Rough Rider unis. Big 'R' on the helmet along with the big numbers in front and back. Seeing a pic of him coaching the Argos, I like that 'A' on their helmets as well. Past and present, CFL has real good unis overall.

Speaking of Ottawa, I wonder if they ever teamed their black jerseys with the red pants with the single white stripe. Perhaps a diehard CFL fan will know the answer.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Our Winnipeg Blue Bombers have the best uniforms in the league. The Big Blue threw back to their royal blue and gold unis of the 70s to the mid 90s when Adidas won the CFL contract a few years ago. The home blues are gorgeous and pretty much perfect. The road whites are very nice but they would be even better without the gratuitous blue shoulders. The big, bold white W on the gold helmet is what I and many others grew up with and it was a great move to bring it back and dump the lightning bolt W that they wore for almost 20 years.

Currently, Edmonton, Toronto and Hamilton also have good unis. Calgary's atrocities are similar to Atlanta's and Arizona's. I hate them. B.C.'s are embarrassingly bad. I don't know what they were thinking when they adopted their set. Saskatchewan and Ottawa aren't great but they aren't horrible. Montreal has too many colours, too many stripes and too many word marks but they've worn that set for over 20 years and they've done a ton of winning in it so I can live with it.

Winnipeg has almost always had great uniforms but the B.C. Lions of the 60s had my favorite unis in CFL history; a beautiful combination of black, orange and white with a Lion's paw on the helmet. Joe Kapp wore that uniform when he led the Lions to the 1963 and 64 Grey Cup games against mighty Hamilton. The Lions lost the first game 21-10 but won the rematch 34-24.

Here's a pretty good ranking of historical CFL uniforms:
https://www.cfl.ca/2012/05/17/mullin-th ... -all-time/
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I always liked the Edmonton Eskimos' "EE" helmet logo and their green and gold uniforms. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... helmet.png If you didn't know the team being represented, the logo would be hard to figure out, though not as unfathomable as the "what-is-it?" logo that the old Montreal Expos baseball team had on its caps.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnH19 wrote:Our Winnipeg Blue Bombers have the best uniforms in the league. The Big Blue threw back to their royal blue and gold unis of the 70s to the mid 90s when Adidas won the CFL contract a few years ago. The home blues are gorgeous and pretty much perfect. The road whites are very nice but they would be even better without the gratuitous blue shoulders. The big, bold white W on the gold helmet is what I and many others grew up with and it was a great move to bring it back and dump the lightning bolt W that they wore for almost 20 years.

Here's a pretty good ranking of historical CFL uniforms:
https://www.cfl.ca/2012/05/17/mullin-th ... -all-time/
Agree on your Blue Bombers having the best looking uniforms in the CFL - very sharp! There are some Washington Husky fans out there who are under the impression that the Bombers borrowed the W on gold helmet look from them but it's the other way around. Winnipeg had that look going back to 1965 while the Huskies adopted it 10 years later.

Dale Hackbart's 1965 Bomber helmet faithfully reproduced:
BB3.jpg
BB3.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 14225 times
"I should have played in the 1965 Gray Cup game, but Bud Grant removed me from the roster Saturday evening before the game. My Wife, Mother & Father, Aunt and Uncle, Mother/Father in Law drove to the game from Madison WI. I stayed with them the night before the game and Bud informed me at 10:00am Sunday morning (day of game) that he cut me. I had to go out and buy a ticket and find my family…Ha Ha. Three days later I re-joined the MN Vikings and the rest is History."

http://www.helmethut.com/WFL/CFL/Bombers.html

Historically I liked Hamilton's 1965-74 uniform with the long tiger-striped sleeves. Saskatchewan's 1967-84 design would be a close second. The Roughriders & Philadelphia Eagles home jersey's looked quite similar through 1964. Then in 1965 the Eagles adopted double shoulder & sleeve stripes. Saskatchewan did the same in 1967 and stayed with that look for 18 seasons. Also liked the 1963 Ottawa Rough Riders with cowboy & bucking horse on red helmet and the 1970-73 Montreal Alouettes.

https://youtu.be/Rypq8ZDJKs8
Last edited by Retro Rider on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
argofan87

Post by argofan87 »

I cannot definitively say that the majority of Argo fans feel this way, but many believe that the 'Boat Logo' that the Argos had on their helmets from 1976-1988 is one of the best in team history, and many believe that they should go back to that jersey.

The Argos wore this jersey (or a variation thereof) from 1981 to 1988 and in 2013 they wore it as part of the 30th anniversary of the 1983 Grey Cup team. However, they haven't worn the jersey since. Someone started a rumor because Ricky Ray got injured in that game.

This home jersey might be my favourite from 1979: