Clark Judge on WRs and HOF

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Re: Clark Judge on WRs and HOF

Post by bachslunch »

Agreed, very perceptive and nicely researched article. He lists and discusses 10 E-WR types, all fine choices: Dilweg, Speedie, Howton, Wilson, Jackson, Branch, Carmichael, Pearson, Ellard, and Sharpe.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

bachslunch wrote:Agreed, very perceptive and nicely researched article. He lists and discusses 10 E-WR types, all fine choices: Dilweg, Speedie, Howton, Wilson, Jackson, Branch, Carmichael, Pearson, Ellard, and Sharpe.
Great list, and I woukd like to know his opinion on Irving Fryar and Stanley Morgan. He has a mistake, Branch has been discussed in the past.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Teo wrote:
bachslunch wrote:Agreed, very perceptive and nicely researched article. He lists and discusses 10 E-WR types, all fine choices: Dilweg, Speedie, Howton, Wilson, Jackson, Branch, Carmichael, Pearson, Ellard, and Sharpe.
Great list, and I woukd like to know his opinion on Irving Fryar and Stanley Morgan. He has a mistake, Branch has been discussed in the past.
Cliff Branch was a semifinalist at one point if memory serves but has never been a finalist, so he has never been "discussed in the room." He might have been on a final 10 Senior list, but not sure if that counts as being "discussed."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I would rank the non-HOF WRs as follows:

1) Speedie, Sharpe, Dilweg = best at their positions

2) Branch, Pearson = among the best and great postseason resumes

3) Jackson, Howton = contextual numbers are good

4) Wilson, Carmichael, Ellard = all fine WRs, but I'm just not feeling any heat from them
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

How about Del Shofner, Bryan?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I've been gradually collecting and watching the old Tel Ra videos and granted they are weekly highlight videos, so its not the same as watching game film, but I've been really impressed with Billy Howton. He's one of those players that I wasn't looking for (mostly looking to see HOFers), but he just jumps out at you (the other surprise being Giants RB Eddie Price).

Great list - could have made Dilweg's case stronger by mentioning his defense, but glad to see him mentioned at all.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

NWebster wrote:How about Del Shofner, Bryan?
I think you'd have to put him in the first tier, since he was the best WR in the NFL (along with Raymond Berry) in the late 50's and early 60's.