Odell Beckham Jr.: jerk

Bryan

Re: Odell Beckham Jr.: jerk

Post by Bryan »

SixtiesFan wrote:The supposedly "tough" coach Tom Coughlin did nothing to discipline Beckham earlier in the game when it was obvious he was not playing under any kind of control.
I think the whole situation is unfortunate but understandable. This is JMO, but there is no way Coughlin is going to sit his team's best player with the playoffs on the line. I think if Coughlin would have sat Beckham during that game, then Coughlin would have been criticized for "giving up" and not doing everything in his power to win the game. That also kind of holds true for the officials...how many times have you seen an NFL player actually get ejected from a game? I've only seen it a handful of times. I don't think the officials wanted to eject such an important player as Beckham in such a meaningful game...if the officials had ejected Beckham, I could imagine them being criticized for "overreaction" and "inserting themselves into the game".
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bryan wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:The supposedly "tough" coach Tom Coughlin did nothing to discipline Beckham earlier in the game when it was obvious he was not playing under any kind of control.
I think the whole situation is unfortunate but understandable. This is JMO, but there is no way Coughlin is going to sit his team's best player with the playoffs on the line. I think if Coughlin would have sat Beckham during that game, then Coughlin would have been criticized for "giving up" and not doing everything in his power to win the game. That also kind of holds true for the officials...how many times have you seen an NFL player actually get ejected from a game? I've only seen it a handful of times. I don't think the officials wanted to eject such an important player as Beckham in such a meaningful game...if the officials had ejected Beckham, I could imagine them being criticized for "overreaction" and "inserting themselves into the game".
I don't think the suggestion is necessarily that Coughlin should sit him. As Brian Billick said on NFL.com, it would make sense for the head coach to get him to the sideline for one play or two to talk to him and calm him down precisely because you don't want to lose him with the playoffs on the line.

And I don't think you can give a guy a blank check to do anything he wants to do just because it's a meaningful game. How many blatantly illegal swings/punches/kicks should an official allow before daring to "insert himself into the game"?
JWL

Post by JWL »

Do any of you guys get a kick out of Beckham Jr.'s love affair with a kicking net?
James

Odell Beckham Jr.: jerk

Post by James »

I'm a Giants fan and I think he's a jackass. He's hurting the team, and myself, I don't care how good he might be, I would get rid of him right away, but that's just me.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

My totally honest question, why is it receivers are allowed to get away with being divas? Is it because they're so protected now that there can be no "retribution" in the normal flow of the game? And why do they take that on, I mean the Cris Carters and Keyshawn Johnson's of the world, prior to wide outs I'm pretty sure the term was narrowly applied to pampered, catty showbiz, women . . . . Nothing I'd imagine a football player would aspire to be compared to, it's just odd to me.