questions on game books

JWL

questions on game books

Post by JWL »

Does anyone here know when game books are finalized? I ask because I am trying to keep track of snap information for the Jets. I have been looking two days after the games. I noticed there was an update to the Week 1 game book several weeks after the game. Is the Week 1 game book possibly going to be updated well into the season? Is there any date it which it may become finalized?

I also noticed a stat shown somewhere during a Week 3 preview that indicated Darrelle Revis appeared in 121 plays through two weeks. To that point, the game books had shown him as having appeared in 131 snaps if I recall correctly. I suppose that means there were 10 times he was on the field only to see a penalty called and the play not count. I wish the game books showed plays as opposed to snaps. Well, both would be ideal.
TodMaher

Re: questions on game books

Post by TodMaher »

JWL wrote:Does anyone here know when game books are finalized? I ask because I am trying to keep track of snap information for the Jets. I have been looking two days after the games. I noticed there was an update to the Week 1 game book several weeks after the game. Is the Week 1 game book possibly going to be updated well into the season? Is there any date it which it may become finalized?

I also noticed a stat shown somewhere during a Week 3 preview that indicated Darrelle Revis appeared in 121 plays through two weeks. To that point, the game books had shown him as having appeared in 131 snaps if I recall correctly. I suppose that means there were 10 times he was on the field only to see a penalty called and the play not count. I wish the game books showed plays as opposed to snaps. Well, both would be ideal.
Well, the answer is never. They are always open to corrections, even years after the game has been played.
To see the number of plays as opposed to snaps you would have to have access to the NFLGSIS site and go through the Lineup Detail data. I've compiled the 2007-2014 data on my website: www.profootballarchives.com
JWL

Post by JWL »

TodMaher wrote:Well, the answer is never. They are always open to corrections, even years after the game has been played.
To see the number of plays as opposed to snaps you would have to have access to the NFLGSIS site and go through the Lineup Detail data. I've compiled the 2007-2014 data on my website: http://www.profootballarchives.com
Thanks and I have done that. I can definitely compile hard figures from looking at the lineup detail. I suppose I could do that in the off-season and hope the information is finalized by then.
JohnTurney

That is some fine work

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher wrote:
JWL wrote:Does anyone here know when game books are finalized? I ask because I am trying to keep track of snap information for the Jets. I have been looking two days after the games. I noticed there was an update to the Week 1 game book several weeks after the game. Is the Week 1 game book possibly going to be updated well into the season? Is there any date it which it may become finalized?

Well, the answer is never. They are always open to corrections, even years after the game has been played.
To see the number of plays as opposed to snaps you would have to have access to the NFLGSIS site and go through the Lineup Detail data. I've compiled the 2007-2014 data on my website: http://www.profootballarchives.com
I always wondered about corrections. I see that the Gamebook compilers try to make sure those who are on the field to start are credited with the start, so if the offense opens in 3- or 4-wide then the defense counters with nickel or dime and the nicke back and dime back and perhaps a nickel rusher get credit for the start rather than the base defense or base offense. But sometimes even then, the base personnel may be on field but in a strange aligment,

Here is the first snap of the 2013 Titans/Rams game. And the gamebook shows the Rams defense in their usual spots, i.e. Long LDE, Langford LDT etc.

But as you can see from All-22, the Rams were in what they call the "cheat" front, which is a version of the Bear/46 defense and in this case Langford is the LDE, Brockers the LDT, Robert Quinn the RDT and Long the RDE. Ogletree is the LOLB (the Otis Wilson spot) and Dunbar is the MLN and Laurinitis is the RLB--the guys whose uni numbers are in the 90s all had their hand on ground. So, to me, it makes no nevermind because the base defense is exactly as the gamebook lists it but in what the Rams call "swap" and "cheat" they had different alignments, this one being called "cheat"

Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I also noticed the game book was updated on February 10th, 2014, meaning they go back after the season and continue to make corrections to them.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

I think the NFL and Elias are primarily interested in getting who started right. Unless someone complains about the positions being wrong they're probably not going to bother changing it. And with teams that use multiple defensive sets where the players move around all over the place it's a pain in the, well, neck.
You see a lot of nickel and dime backs listed as linemen and linebackers in the starting lineups. Heck, Marcus Mariota was listed as GB three weeks into the season until I pointed it out and they finally corrected it to QB!
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher wrote:I think the NFL and Elias are primarily interested in getting who started right. Unless someone complains about the positions being wrong they're probably not going to bother changing it. And with teams that use multiple defensive sets where the players move around all over the place it's a pain in the, well, neck.
You see a lot of nickel and dime backs listed as linemen and linebackers in the starting lineups. Heck, Marcus Mariota was listed as GB three weeks into the season until I pointed it out and they finally corrected it to QB!
And I think they are doing it right, no need to confuse the issue with listing, say, Robert Quinn as a DT for a game. I\