Modern Era Nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

BD Sullivan

Re: Modern Era Nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Cl

Post by BD Sullivan »

Ditka's election in 1988 made him the first TE elected, even though Mackey (who came in four years later) would likely have been the first, if not for his union connections. Of course, it's interesting to debate if Ditka would have been elected if the 85 Bears (and that brief era) had never happened.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

As for the quarterbacks, I am surprised neither Randall Cunningham or Boomer Esiason made the cut.
Either of the above should have been included over Testaverde.

Keith Bulluck??? He never even seemed like a HOVG type to me. He may have had 1 or 2 great years, not much more.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

BD Sullivan wrote:Ditka's election in 1988 made him the first TE elected, even though Mackey (who came in four years later) would likely have been the first, if not for his union connections. Of course, it's interesting to debate if Ditka would have been elected if the 85 Bears (and that brief era) had never happened.
In his induction speech, Ditka asked why John Mackey wasn't already in the HOF.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

One has to wonder if Owens will be a first ballot selection. He put up great stats, but was by all accounts a clubhouse cancer also, and for all the positives he brought to his team, there were a number of negatives. I think there is little doubt that he will go in, but I don't know if he will go first ballot.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

It's nice that the HOF gives consideration to all positions. But does a LS deserve to be nominated?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Andrew McKillop wrote:It's nice that the HOF gives consideration to all positions. But does a LS deserve to be nominated?
He's more important than a punter.
Ness

Post by Ness »

Bryan wrote:The best RB in that group is Terrell Davis. The best WR in that group is Sterling Sharpe. The best OL in that group is Tony Boselli. Mark Bavaro is the equal of any TE who has played, and IMO was better than two TEs already in (Sanders and Ditka). If we are giving out "lifetime/Dick LeBeau" selections, Richie Petibon would be an excellent choice. An elite safety who was a full-time starter for 13 years, followed up by a distinguished defensive coordinator career.

I doubt any of those five get much consideration.
I'm confused about your statement regarding Mark Bavaro. Do you mean he is the equal to any tight end who has played, and is in the Hall of Fame? Because even in that regard I think guys like Newsome, Winslow, Mackey, and Sharpe are on a higher tier. And if we're talking outside of the HOF then it's not even close.
Ness

Post by Ness »

Rupert Patrick wrote:One has to wonder if Owens will be a first ballot selection. He put up great stats, but was by all accounts a clubhouse cancer also, and for all the positives he brought to his team, there were a number of negatives. I think there is little doubt that he will go in, but I don't know if he will go first ballot.
If Lawrence Taylor is in, Terrell Owens should be in. Owens may have come off as a jerk, but he was never a coke head, he wasn't a drunk, and he never got in trouble with the law. Of course voters will hold that against him anyway.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Ness wrote:I'm confused about your statement regarding Mark Bavaro. Do you mean he is the equal to any tight end who has played, and is in the Hall of Fame? Because even in that regard I think guys like Newsome, Winslow, Mackey, and Sharpe are on a higher tier. And if we're talking outside of the HOF then it's not even close.
The meaning was/is that a Bavaro at his peak is comparable to any HOF TE. As a combo blocker/receiver, Bavaro was elite. Different than Winslow and Sharpe, who were flex TEs and usually played in two TE sets where another guy (Sievers, Carswell) handled the in-line blocking. Was Bavaro "better" than the four guys you listed? IMO, from a 'peak' standpoint Mackey and Winslow were better. Bavaro was probably better than Newsome and Sharpe, but I've already started my retreat on this issue, so if you want to press me, I'll wave the white flag.