Consecutive games vs inter-conference opponents

BD Sullivan

Re: Consecutive games vs inter-conference opponents

Post by BD Sullivan »

The Cowboys played in the West in 1960 and played each Eastern team, then shifted to the East when the Vikings came on board the next year. In 1961 the two teams faced eeach other twice.

Given their proximity, the Colts and Redskins played twice every year between 1960-67 and 1969. Not sure what happened in '68.

Eagles played the Lions in 1960-61

Redskins played the Rams in 1962-63

Eagles played the Vikings in 1962-63

Cardinals played the Packers in 1962-63

Browns played the Lions in 1963-64

Cowboys played the Packers in 1964-65

Giants played the Vikings in 1964-65

Cardinals played the Bears in 1965-66

Eagles Played the 49ers in 1966-67
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'm guessing, for the most part (barring any expansion or retraction), that the '33-thru-'66 NFL scheduling formula was on a rotation basis as far as inter-conference match-ups were concerned, correct?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

The Colts and Redskins were playing each other once a year throughout the 1950s and most of the 1960s, though they never played twice in any season. The annual Chicago Bears-Chicago Cardinals game ended after the 1959 season, and it took another six years before the St. Louis Cardinals played the Bears. The New York Yanks and New York Giants game probably would have been an annual event if the Yanks hadn't moved after two years.

I know that the thread is about inter-conference games in consecutive seasons, but in 1954, the Western Conference Detroit Lions visited the Eastern Conference Cleveland Browns on consecutive weekends (December 19 and December 26), meeting in the last week of the regular season and then facing each other again in the NFL Championship Game. I remember that the Dallas Cowboys and the Denver Broncos met in the last game of the 1977 regular season, a few weeks before facing each other again in Super Bowl XII.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Mark L. Ford wrote:The Colts and Redskins were playing each other once a year throughout the 1950s and most of the 1960s, though they never played twice in any season. The annual Chicago Bears-Chicago Cardinals game ended after the 1959 season, and it took another six years before the St. Louis Cardinals played the Bears. The New York Yanks and New York Giants game probably would have been an annual event if the Yanks hadn't moved after two years.

I know that the thread is about inter-conference games in consecutive seasons, but in 1954, the Western Conference Detroit Lions visited the Eastern Conference Cleveland Browns on consecutive weekends (December 19 and December 26), meeting in the last week of the regular season and then facing each other again in the NFL Championship Game. I remember that the Dallas Cowboys and the Denver Broncos met in the last game of the 1977 regular season, a few weeks before facing each other again in Super Bowl XII.
The 1954 Browns-Lions scheduling was due to the Indians playing in the World Series, which forced the Browns to postpone that weekend's home game. Ironically, the WS ended in four games, which meant that no game of any kind was played that Sunday. The scheduling also resulted in the regular season finale being played in a snow-covered blizzard.