More inane trivia!

Bryan

Re: More inane trivia!

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:The TD catch against Dallas in Roger Staubach's last game was one of the greatest Hail Mary/Big Ben TD passes in NFL history IMHO. If it had been at the end of the game, as Billy Waddy's catch and run was, it would've been better remembered and showed in many NFL Films highlight show. Ferragamo was hit very hard by Randy White just as he threw the ball, and it appeared that the pass would've been incomplete, but Smith made an adjustment around Aaron Kyle and Randy Hughes and somehow caught the ball, I remember the Rams celebrated it like it was at the end of the game.
Smith's catch was completely unexpected. I think the key was that Kyle and Hughes were involved...they were both pretty terrible. For a team that drafted athletes like Cornell Green and Mel Renfro and put them in the defensive secondary, some of the DBs the Cowboys had in the late-70's early 80's were unathletic and clueless.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
Teo wrote:The TD catch against Dallas in Roger Staubach's last game was one of the greatest Hail Mary/Big Ben TD passes in NFL history IMHO. If it had been at the end of the game, as Billy Waddy's catch and run was, it would've been better remembered and showed in many NFL Films highlight show. Ferragamo was hit very hard by Randy White just as he threw the ball, and it appeared that the pass would've been incomplete, but Smith made an adjustment around Aaron Kyle and Randy Hughes and somehow caught the ball, I remember the Rams celebrated it like it was at the end of the game.
Smith's catch was completely unexpected. I think the key was that Kyle and Hughes were involved...they were both pretty terrible. For a team that drafted athletes like Cornell Green and Mel Renfro and put them in the defensive secondary, some of the DBs the Cowboys had in the late-70's early 80's were unathletic and clueless.
I just watched the play. Hughes and Kyle just missed the ball. And they weren't close, especially Kyle.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Teo wrote:Another trivia (hope I'm getting right):

Name the only time a team got two successful Hail Mary TD pass in consecutive games.

Hint 1: one was at the end of the first half, and the other at the end of the game

Hint 2: it was a different QB and WR in each game.
No one gives a thought, yet?

I'll post the answer tomorrow.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Teo wrote:Another trivia (hope I'm getting right):

Name the only time a team got two successful Hail Mary TD pass in consecutive games.

Hint 1: one was at the end of the first half, and the other at the end of the game

Hint 2: it was a different QB and WR in each game.
The answer is: the Atlanta Falcons in 1983

- November 20: Steve Bartkowski to Billy "White Shoes" Johnson for 47 yards in the last play against San Francisco and a 28-24 win.

- November 27: Mike Moroski to Stacey Bailey for 50 yards in the last play of the first half against Green Bay. The Falcons went on to win in OT 47-41.

Both games were at Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Well, I know it's not North Carolina . . .

(The only FBS school never to have an NFL starter at quarterback)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Todd Pence wrote:Well, I know it's not North Carolina . . .

T.J. Yates
rockhawk

Post by rockhawk »

I'm pretty sure Wyoming has never produced a starting NFL QB. Although Casey Bramlet was the last-ever World Bowl MVP.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

rockhawk wrote:I'm pretty sure Wyoming has never produced a starting NFL QB.
I had high hopes for Brett Smith, he was a great high school QB in Oregon. Hopefully he'll get some snaps this year in the CFL.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

rockhawk wrote:I'm pretty sure Wyoming has never produced a starting NFL QB. Although Casey Bramlet was the last-ever World Bowl MVP.
Bramlet was drafted by Cincinnati in 2004 and IIRC he was on the sidelines on a number of games when Carson Palmer got injured.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Todd Pence wrote:
I thought about New Mexico, but then I searched and found Steve Myer and Stoney Case.