Neal Anderson

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
GameBeforeTheMoney

Neal Anderson

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I have my nominations in for this year -- but considering Neal Anderson for next year.

My memory of him that he was an excellent all-around running back for the Bears for several years. Very good both rushing and receiving. Yet, I don't really hear anything about him anymore and the younger Bears fans I've spoken with don't seem to even know who he is.

Have I inflated my memory of Neal Anderson? Maybe he was just great against the Packers - when I would have seen him most? Who else remembers him? Thoughts?
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Re: Neal Anderson

Post by Brian wolf »

Anderson actually did a good job of replacing Payton, especially helping out a typical Ditka offense in the passing game early but injuries took their toll by his seventh season.

A somewhat, similar career to Roger Craig without the championships or receiving numbers. His touchdowns warrant a HOVG case, scoring 71 in 91 career starts.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

From that era, I think Earnest Byner and James Brooks were probably better as backs with some receiving ability. Anderson does have a lot of TDs, but Byner and Brooks match him there and had longer careers.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:25 pm Anderson actually did a good job of replacing Payton, especially helping out a typical Ditka offense in the passing game early but injuries took their toll by his seventh season.

A somewhat, similar career to Roger Craig without the championships or receiving numbers. His touchdowns warrant a HOVG case, scoring 71 in 91 career starts.
I'm glad you brought up Craig because he always kind of reminded me of him.

Byner is a good comparison also. I honestly didn't see enough of Brooks' games in the market I lived in to know him as well.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:06 am From that era, I think Earnest Byner and James Brooks were probably better as backs with some receiving ability. Anderson does have a lot of TDs, but Byner and Brooks match him there and had longer careers.
I think Byner was more of a grind it out guy, and Brooks was more talented than Anderson. But production wise they were all fairly similar. I think Anderson's physical build wasn't really great for absorbing punishment, and his career is much more condensed than Byner/Brooks. Anderson's prime ended at 26. That said, he was a very good all-around RB who was a pretty good blocker. I remember Anderson being obviously better than Payton in 1987, yet the Bears insisted they split time and the media was always fawning over Payton even though the Bears were much better with Anderson in the game. One other thing about Anderson is he was the first guy I remember in the NFL who would dive into the corner of the endzone and reach the ball inside the pylon.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:40 am
Jay Z wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:06 am From that era, I think Earnest Byner and James Brooks were probably better as backs with some receiving ability. Anderson does have a lot of TDs, but Byner and Brooks match him there and had longer careers.
I think Byner was more of a grind it out guy, and Brooks was more talented than Anderson. But production wise they were all fairly similar. I think Anderson's physical build wasn't really great for absorbing punishment, and his career is much more condensed than Byner/Brooks. Anderson's prime ended at 26. That said, he was a very good all-around RB who was a pretty good blocker. I remember Anderson being obviously better than Payton in 1987, yet the Bears insisted they split time and the media was always fawning over Payton even though the Bears were much better with Anderson in the game. One other thing about Anderson is he was the first guy I remember in the NFL who would dive into the corner of the endzone and reach the ball inside the pylon.
Byner ultimately had more TDs and more yards than Anderson. They were similar in stature. Byner's long carry in NFL was only 54 yards. He wasn't a breakaway threat, really. Still, he did what Anderson did and more, was a horse 1990-1992, led the NFL in carries in 1990. Won a ring in 1991, playoff record is better, played longer, fill in seasons around the peak are better than Anderson. I'd have to go with Byner first.

Brooks also has better stats but never was asked to carry the same kind of load, he usually had another stronger back with him. Bears didn't have a lot of other offensive weapons, Anderson had to carry a load and he wasn't Payton.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:41 pm Byner ultimately had more TDs and more yards than Anderson. They were similar in stature. Byner's long carry in NFL was only 54 yards.
Tsk, tsk! I just saw Byner go for 66 yards against the Miami "Vise" defense in 1985. j/k