Seniors

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
rewing84

Re: Seniors

Post by rewing84 »

Bryan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:44 pm
rewing84 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:42 pm id like to know who wrote that headline saying that neither were worthy because i disagree with that author 100% in terms of jake scott not being worthy for the hall
I write the headlines. I am the Dick Wolf of PFRA. It was admittedly an old headline, and I think now the HOF was been watered down, so a career like Scott's or Anderson's shouldn't be dismissed. I originally thought their 'period of effectiveness' was too short for HOF standards, but I've always thought both were HOF-talent players. I would put either guy in before some of the guys currently in the HOF and before Eddie Meador.
Gotcha Bryan thanks for the clarification. And I agree I would put scott or anderson in before meador
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Gary Najman wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:33 pm Many don't remember that Scott started his pro career with the CFL' BC Lions in 1969 as a wide receiver. And in his final NFL season in 1978 he had 7 interceptions while playing for Washington. I think Scott and Dick Anderson are HOF worthy, but it seems that they have been cancelling each other in the Seniors ballot.
I could totally see why Jake Scott and Dick Anderson could've cancelled each other out in the minds of some voters.

The best accolades received by either one are Scott's Super Bowl MVP, and Anderson's Defensive Player of the Year and All Decade Team selection.

If a player hypothetically had 49 interceptions (which Scott ended up getting), a Super Bowl MVP, a DPOY, and an all -decade team selection, then that player may have made it to Canton by now.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:18 am
Gary Najman wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:33 pm Many don't remember that Scott started his pro career with the CFL' BC Lions in 1969 as a wide receiver. And in his final NFL season in 1978 he had 7 interceptions while playing for Washington. I think Scott and Dick Anderson are HOF worthy, but it seems that they have been cancelling each other in the Seniors ballot.
I could totally see why Jake Scott and Dick Anderson could've cancelled each other out in the minds of some voters.

The best accolades received by either one are Scott's Super Bowl MVP, and Anderson's Defensive Player of the Year and All Decade Team selection.

If a player hypothetically had 49 interceptions (which Scott ended up getting), a Super Bowl MVP, a DPOY, and an all -decade team selection, then that player may have made it to Canton by now.
I will agree with that 100% that makes perfect sense
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Since a new, seniors "preliminary" list won't come out till possibly September, we can only speculate on what the senior's committee can or might bring -- or not bring -- to the table ...

The committee might not bring back super senior nominees, or at least before 1960 and fans and theorists may wonder if more 80s and 90s players will get more spotlight?

Will the list run into the 30s again, with possibly 10 new players like last year or stay mostly around the 20 range including previous finalists?

Going into year 3, maybe less surprises than players vaulting above finalists from year one and hopefully Powell might get another chance at endorsement, though I am doubtful.

Could this be a year for senior offensive players, maybe even a QB? Could another acclaimed linebacker get nominated--I won't dare say elected--until the fat end of January, sings?

Hopefully, the senior committee DOES ITS JOB and endorses the best candidates regardless of era, and disregards the woke, mercurial moods of voters who only seem to know recent NFL history. That will come later, but the committee can't flinch if certain candidates gain momentum whether or not they had been part of the previous two years voting involvement. Someone may sell the candidates at the right time along side the modern players but will their cases make enough sense to get the voters attention in 2025?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

If I had to Guess Brian I'm thinking that they will mainly go with players who played between 1960-1994 , I know meador started his career in 1959 his best years were in the 1960's

I think with the new timeline much more research will be done on these candidates that had been done in the past

There are 4 Names I'd like to see make the preliminary senior ballot

Bobby Boyd

Ed Budde

Dick Schafrath

Ed White
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

These are the players I would like to see added to the preliminary list ...

Super Seniors Though Doubtful

Dilweg
Lewellen
Benton
Brito -- played into 60s
Patton -- played into 60s

AFL players

Grayson
Grantham

More Recent Players

Parrish
Scott
H Martin
Cherry
Smerlas
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

BW I'll agree on the following

Cherry

Martin

Parrish

Patton

Jake Scott

Maybe

Smerlas

Absolutely Not

Brito for a variety of reasons one being let's get Jacoby in the hall first

Any super senior because unfortunately that ship has sailed

Again JMO
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

rewing84 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:57 pm BW I'll agree on the following

Cherry

Martin

Parrish

Patton

Jake Scott

Maybe

Smerlas

Absolutely Not

Again JMO
How would you define a super senior?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Basically players from the 1920s till 50s but some say pre-60s. I counted Brito and Patton who played into the 60s as well.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

SeahawkFever wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:23 pm
rewing84 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:57 pm BW I'll agree on the following

Cherry

Martin

Parrish

Patton

Jake Scott

Maybe

Smerlas

Absolutely Not

Again JMO
How would you define a super senior?
Mainly players who played from 1920-1959 but there are certain exceptions for players who played 1 year in the 50s who i don't consider a super senior for example Eddie Meador