Nomination for PFRA President

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: Nomination for PFRA President

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Actually, V, it occurs to me that you have joined, since you said you had seen Coffin Corner #6. I'd mentioned that to our folks who handle new memberships. Still, we didn't have a new member with the "Blue World" e-mail. There was actually a time where I wondered whether you and oldecapecod were the same person because of similar writing styles, kind of like a Shakespeare and Bacon thing. The world may never know.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Actually, V, it occurs to me that you have joined, since you said you had seen Coffin Corner #6. I'd mentioned that to our folks who handle new memberships. Still, we didn't have a new member with the "Blue World" e-mail. There was actually a time where I wondered whether you and oldecapecod were the same person because of similar writing styles, kind of like a Shakespeare and Bacon thing. The world may never know.
By comparing me to OldeCapeCod you've managed to flatter me and insult me simultaneously. That's hard to do.

An alias is often more effective when it comes to criticism or commentary, as our good friend Richard Saunders can attest.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

The links between member names and screen names is generally kept confidential, though in some cases they're pretty well known among the members-- not hard, for instance, to figure out who "cdwillis" is. It's a bulletin board, not the U.S. Congress.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Mark L. Ford wrote:The links between member names and screen names is generally kept confidential, though in some cases they're pretty well known among the members-- not hard, for instance, to figure out who "cdwillis" is. It's a bulletin board, not the U.S. Congress.
Better yet "Mark L. Ford" - appreciate YOUR transparency Mark.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Mark L. Ford wrote:kind of like a Shakespeare and Bacon thing.
Speaking of Bacon, here's a tasty morsel that Pete Carroll might appreciate and Russell Wilson might not:

"Boldness is ever blind, for it sees not dangers and inconveniences whence it is bad in council though good in execution."
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

More likely is that Bard and Bacon benefited from Marlowe and no, folks, not Philip.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

NWebster wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:The links between member names and screen names is generally kept confidential, though in some cases they're pretty well known among the members-- not hard, for instance, to figure out who "cdwillis" is. It's a bulletin board, not the U.S. Congress.
Better yet "Mark L. Ford" - appreciate YOUR transparency Mark.
Thanks. My name is shorter than average, and it wasn't that long ago that there was an 8-character limit to screen names, and spaces wouldn't be recognized, so it's not unusual for people to identify themselves with their surname and throw in their initials. We have one member whose last name contains 24 letters. I guess my point of view is that whether I write something intelligent (it sometimes happens) or something controversial, whether here or on Facebook, I'll identify myself. Anonymity is for places like "topix.com" where people gossip about each other.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Anonymity is for places like "topix.com" where people gossip about each other.
Do I hear talk of platonic ideals amidst the Machiavellian maneuvering and nepotistic backslapping?

So...we talk football and have a little fun. After all, it's a bulletin board, not the U.S. Congress.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I'm more play-doh than Plato, and fun is fine. I'm just referring to my own philosophy. It may have been Mr. Drummond who inspired the immortal song lyric "Oh the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you might not be right for some..." I haven't yet used Gary Coleman's catchphrase when talking to our Executive Director.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Mark L. Ford wrote:I'll identify myself.
I agree, Mark. I've always used full or last name.

Though I definitely understand people liking to use pseudonyms, especially on the internet or on a football forum where you can tie in favorite teams/players. Though specific to a place like here, I've always wondered why people didn't use their actual names? Seems like for the validity of discussion and/or new information that "putting your name on it" is stronger than having a pseudonym so you can get away with posting nonsense - "nonsense" not specific to PFRA or any members, just an in general thought.
Last edited by Reaser on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.