The other Super Bowl 20 what if

CSKreager

The other Super Bowl 20 what if

Post by CSKreager »

We hear so so much about the Bears/Dolphins Super Bowl 20 hypothetical that what many forget is that the Raiders actually had the AFC’s #1 seed that year

Even if LA beat NE, they would not have gone to the Orange Bowl

Keep in mind that the Dolphins up to that point had never EVER beaten the Raiders in California and Shula had lost 5 straight times to the Silver and Black under Tom Flores.

Miami only got to host that AFC CG because of New England’s win at LA

For all that has been said of that CHI/MIA Monday Night at the Orange Bowl, let’s not forget these Raiders also had familiarity with the Bears themselves from that hard hitting game at Soldier Field in November 1984

And remember those Raiders had already twice turned the tables from a regular season loss in January (PHI 80/WSH 83)

Throw in the fact that they had recent SB experience, a capable defense in their own right, would have wanted to extract some revenge, and of course were a team that knew how to win.

And considering the Raider mystique, that might have elevated the 85 Bears legend even more

Imagine if they had shut down Marcus Allen in his greatest year and CHI had beaten not a surprise wild card fluke but a legendary iconic franchise
RRMarshall

Re: The other Super Bowl 20 what if

Post by RRMarshall »

In answer to your question consider who would be going up against that '85 Bears defense; Raiders QB Marc Wilson. The defense rests... :)
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Looking back, I am not so sure Marc Wilson even beats the Dolphins in LA. The Raiders pass rush would have given Marino fits though ... an interesting scenario.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

THe Bears pressure defense of that era didn't match up very well against Marino's quick release and his receivers. If we had a Bears and Dolphins rematch in the Super Bowl chances are extremely good that the Bears win as the Dolphins did catch a lot of breaks during the regular season game they played and the Bears were playing their best during the postseason. However I do think it would have ended up being a much closer game than the 46-10 shellacking they gave the Patriots and that the Dolphins would have put up some yards and points against them.

If anything if the Bears and Dolphins played in the Super Bowl and say the Bears beat them by two touchdowns (and the Dolphins score 21-28 points) I do think it could have affected how the '85 Bears were remembered by history. They may not be remembered as one of the greatest teams of all time since that was the only Super Bowl they were able to get to. And likewise people may not have put the '85 Bears defense up on a pedestal.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

SB win or not, I still believe the Bears are one of the most disappointing teams of the 80s, along with the Chargers, Cowboys, Steelers, Rams and maybe Broncos, though Dan Reeves just didnt give Elway enough weapons. Their win is still celebrated though, even though I feel Miami would have beaten them again had the played the SB
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote:SB win or not, I still believe the Bears are one of the most disappointing teams of the 80s, along with the Chargers, Cowboys, Steelers, Rams and maybe Broncos, though Dan Reeves just didnt give Elway enough weapons. Their win is still celebrated though, even though I feel Miami would have beaten them again had the played the SB
Not with that defense. They gave up 251 yards on the ground to 8-8 Cleveland. And lest we forget a less terrible Miami D got gashed by the 49ers the previous year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats true CS ... yet if the Dolphins could hang 38 on them during the regular season and its true, the Bears were due for a loss but even if the Dolphins could have scored, say 24-26 points, I believe it would have been enough, unless Payton constantly got into the endzone, which is possible.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote:Thats true CS ... yet if the Dolphins could hang 38 on them during the regular season and its true, the Bears were due for a loss but even if the Dolphins could have scored, say 24-26 points, I believe it would have been enough, unless Payton constantly got into the endzone, which is possible.
I think you underestimate how much the frenzied atmosphere at the Orange Bowl being the 12th man lifted Miami on that MNF as opposed to a neutral site Superdome
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right CS ... yet Marino was the best QB the Bears played that year other than Montana. With Stephenson at center, Marino just would have had to avoid Dent and use that great release again.
No Bears defender could cover Nat Moore inside ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

These are some great debates and hypotheticals !!