Role Players With A SB Ring That People Felt Good For

Brian wolf

Role Players With A SB Ring That People Felt Good For

Post by Brian wolf »

After a great thread where people chose great players that they felt bad about the most for not winning a SB Championship ring, I felt about doing a flip side, where fans and observers could point out role players or non-great players that they were happy to see get a SB Ring.

Paul Hofer -- a terrific team player for the 49ers, who everyone respected, from teammates, opposing players, fans and even broadcast announcers. Came back from a devastating knee injury in 1980 to contribute for the 1981 Cinderella season for SF, despite reinjuring his knee and sitting out the playoffs. Getting a ring certainly had to ease the pain of early retirement. A shame though; had he not been put into a meaningless game with wet, nasty conditions where he got hurt, could have put on a show during the postseason, catching passes from Montana.

Scott Case -- though a starting safety with Atlanta, came to Dallas as a free agent role player, who had a great SB game against Pittsburgh in 1995/96. His speed was gone but made big hits in that game that enabled the Cowboy's defense to pressure the Steelers into mistakes.

Robert Newhouse -- a tough, strong running FB for the Cowboys, who coaches were always trying to replace but did everything asked of the team, without complaint. Despite watching super rookie Dorsett become the starting running back, contributed to the Cowboy's 1977/78 SB win.
Brian wolf

Re: Role Players With A SB Ring That People Felt Good For

Post by Brian wolf »

Ralph Baker -- though a starter, not nearly as good a linebacker for the Jets as Larry Grantham or Al Atkinson. Despite being targeted by the Colts in SB III, played a steady, heads-up game with a crucial fumble recovery in the third quarter to help the Jets win. Some AFL observers were wondering when the Jets would replace him but he kept staying in the starting lineup. Even a drunk Johnny Carson slapped him at an event, so he was used to adversity. Some Colt players wondered aloud why the gameplan didnt attack his side of the field more --especially with TE John Mackey--but the Colts seemed to want to challenge the Jet corners of Sample and Beverly instead. Big mistake.

Howard Twilley -- a true role player for the Dolphins, who the team kept because of his reliability with QB Griese. Dolphins fans had to be thrilled when he burnt CB Pat Fischer of the Redskins for a huge TD in SB VII. Despite small size, had great quickness and NBC Color announcer Al DeRogatis predicted he would challenge Fischer before scoring the TD.

Tom Nowatzke -- another feel good story, who had been an unselfish FB from Detroit who came over to Baltimore in a trade. Contributed great blocking and tough running as the Colts won tough games againt the Raiders and Cowboys for their only SB ring in Baltimore.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though I wanted to add Timmy Smith, who had that huge SB game and still, the most rushing yards in a SB for the Redskins against the Broncos in 1987/88, was perplexed he didnt do more with his NFL career ? A true rags-to-riches-to-rags story, who had a great week of practice and started ahead of George Rogers for crying out loud for the SB win. Came in out of shape the next year, and became a pumpkin again. QB Doug Williams flopped as well and the Skins went from champions to a losing record. Very disappointing from a Joe Gibbs coached team ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Don Beebe
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I agree with Brian re Nowatske. Was as happy seeing him win a ring with Colts as I was with Stafford getting his with Rams.

Nowatske ran a trucking company not far from where I grew up. I remember he had the football with which he scored the winning TD sitting there in his office. The guy had hands the size of catcher mitts. A nice guy to talk with, just a regular blue-collar Joe.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Greg Pruitt with the Raiders. An exciting player with the Browns, injuries took their toll and Al Davis allowed him to finish his career on special teams. A satisfying SB ring for the 1983/84 LA Raiders.

Chris Hogan for the Patriots as well. A true role player who won two rings for the Patriots and had the game of his life against the Steelers in the 2016/17 AFC Championship game. Has had injury problems but played this past season as well. I hope he makes a team this coming season.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bill Anderson with the 1966 Packers.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Weddle with the Rams ... does Beckham count? I was happy for him even though I was never a fan. His contribution was significant and his emotion was genuine.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Paul Lowe and Tom Flores with the Chiefs -- Lowe had a case for the HOF had he continued to stay healthy and Flores had been one of the few players to play the entire existence of the league.

Weddle is a great example of a former great player who winds down his playing career helping another team win it all.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Pete Banaszak. He was kind of a super-sub. Filled in well when Daniels went down in '67 (which crazy enough led to SI creating a poster of him). Also, when Hubbard was injured in '75 he was a scoring machine. Great quickness made him an indispensable short yardage back. His two TD plunges in SB XI capped a career of doing much of the dirty work.