Jethro Pugh

fgoodwin

Jethro Pugh

Post by fgoodwin »

I'm seeing multiple reports on my twitter feed that Jethro Pugh passed away today. So sad that he won't get to see Ice Bowl II.
Rupert Patrick

Re: Jethro Pugh

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I searched Google news and saw nothing, but there have been several news articles in the last couple days about Pugh and the Ice Bowl.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

Sorry, wrong forum. Can the mods please move this to the Player Deaths thread?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I'm sorry to see Jethro pass away at such a young age.

He was a favorite of mine growing up and yet another NFL great I would've liked to have met before his (or my) time was up.

RIP Jethro Pugh.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

JuggernautJ wrote:I'm sorry to see Jethro pass away at such a young age.

He was a favorite of mine growing up and yet another NFL great I would've liked to have met before his (or my) time was up.

RIP Jethro Pugh.
It's nice to hear 70 referred to as a "young age". He was in fact a year younger than me
so I guess that "young" is accurate.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

John Grasso wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:I'm sorry to see Jethro pass away at such a young age.

RIP Jethro Pugh.
It's nice to hear 70 referred to as a "young age". He was in fact a year younger than me
so I guess that "young" is accurate.
I agree with you, young John :D
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In 2010, Pugh signed me a photograph at Cowboys Stadium. Such a nice guy, it's a shame that the didn't get a Pro Bowl nod in his career due to playing alongside Hall of Famers Bob Lilly and Randy White.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:In 2010, Pugh signed me a photograph at Cowboys Stadium. Such a nice guy, it's a shame that the didn't get a Pro Bowl nod in his career due to playing alongside Hall of Famers Bob Lilly and Randy White.
It is surprising that he never got a pro bowl. Pugh was an important part of the Flex, kind of to the Cowboys what Billy Ray Smith was to the Colts. I always liked the mysteriousness of his alma mater (Elizabeth City State), although the school did produce a few other pro players, including Boston Breakers legend John Walton.

Pugh was/is part of my favorite NFL Films bit. SB V highlights...Peter Reno's "Recoil" playing in the background...endzone level shot of Unitas dropping back...then both Pugh and Andrie loop into the frame in front of Unitas, with Colt blockers falling by the wayside...Pugh and Andrie completely fill the camera view, and things don't look good for Unitas.
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

I think he would have received more accolades if sack stats were available when he played. Pugh led the Cowboys in sacks from 1968-1972 posting double digit figures in 4 of those seasons. His numbers fell after that. With the arrival of Jones and Martin, the Cowboys had more depth in their defensive line and Cole moved inside and Landry rotated his lineman more to keep them fresh. By 77 Pugh was taken out on passing downs.