Packers Play by Plays - Art Daley

UKResearch

Packers Play by Plays - Art Daley

Post by UKResearch »

Apologies, but I can't find the original thread that talked about this.

Somebody on the forum was collecting all of the Packers unofficial "Play by Plays" done by the great Packers writer Art Daley - I think they were being sent by Eric Goska.

I wondered how far this had progressed? Whether there were plans to publish these in the Gamebooks section etc. ?

Would be really interested in these.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Peter.
Oszuscik

Re: Packers Play by Plays - Art Daley

Post by Oszuscik »

UKResearch wrote:Apologies, but I can't find the original thread that talked about this.

Somebody on the forum was collecting all of the Packers unofficial "Play by Plays" done by the great Packers writer Art Daley - I think they were being sent by Eric Goska.

I wondered how far this had progressed? Whether there were plans to publish these in the Gamebooks section etc. ?

Peter.
Hey Peter, I'm not sure about the Art Daley play-by-plays but I've been working to try and track down every Packers gamebook from 1960-present. From what I understand, the Packers have copies of every gamebook in their archives from 1961-present, and before that it's hit or miss. I don't believe there are complete records of all of Art Daley's play-by-plays.

One avenue to consider is a subscription to newspapers.com. If you search the Green Bay Press-Gazette the day after a Packers game (circa 1920-1945 maybe) the sports page almost always includes a complete play-by-play of the game. It's not organized nicely like the gamebooks we're used to, but all the information from the games should be there.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Oszuscik wrote:
One avenue to consider is a subscription to newspapers.com. If you search the Green Bay Press-Gazette the day after a Packers game (circa 1920-1945 maybe) the sports page almost always includes a complete play-by-play of the game. It's not organized nicely like the gamebooks we're used to, but all the information from the games should be there.
Yes, the Green Bay Press-Gazette did a great job of play-by-play coverage even from the earliest Packers games. Just be careful about quoting statistical yardage. The play-by-play in the papers is unofficial yardage observed by the reporter.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
UKResearch

Post by UKResearch »

Oszuscik wrote:
UKResearch wrote:Apologies, but I can't find the original thread that talked about this.

Peter.
Hey Peter, I'm not sure about the Art Daley play-by-plays but I've been working to try and track down every Packers gamebook from 1960-present. From what I understand, the Packers have copies of every gamebook in their archives from 1961-present, and before that it's hit or miss. I don't believe there are complete records of all of Art Daley's play-by-plays.

Thank you for response. I know that Art Daley had the most complete play by play for Packers games going back to the 1940s - he created these himself - and I'm pretty certain that the Packers themselves don't have these. I did see that somewhere on this forum that somebody was being sent them via Eric Goska. I will try and search the forum with a fine toothcomb to see if I can find the original post.

I have started to look through the Press-Gazette's play by plays going back to the early 1920s.

Thank you again for the response!
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen