Predictions for HoF Class of 2015
Started by 26554, Aug 03 2014 01:11 AM

Page 1 of 2

23 replies to this topic

#1 26554
Forum Visitors
Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:11 AM
Bettis, Greene (or Haley), Harrison, Seau and Shields

Seniors noms always a crapshoot but I'll go (again) with Howley and Tinglehoff, though I fear that Mike Curtis has more support than Howley.

#2 John Turney
PFRA Member
Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:18 AM
Pick 5 current, 2 senior, and 2 contribs for 9 total. I tried to all a first-times and holdovers from final 10s, 15s, and 25s. could have missed some, though.

2015 HALL OF FAME FINALISTS
2014 HALL OF FAME FINALISTS
NAME
1 Morten Andersen
2 Jerome Bettis
3 Tim Brown
4 Kevin Greene
5 Charles Haley
6 Marvin Harrison
7 John Lynch
8 Will Shields
9 Junior Seau
10 Kurt Warner
11 Isaac Bruce
12 Orlando Pace
13 Torry Holt
14 Edgerrin James
15 Kevin Mawae
16 Ty Law
17 Steve Atwater
18 Roger Craig
19 Terrell Davis
20 MikeKenn
21 Joe Jacoby
22 Karl Mecklenberg
23 Steve Wisniewski
24 Jimmy Johnson
25 Don Coryell
26 Paul Tagliabue
27 George Young
28 Edward J. DeBartolo, Jr.
29 Tony Dungy
30 Senior A
31 Senior B

#3 26554
Forum Visitors
Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:01 AM
John Turney, on 03 Aug 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Pick 5 current, 2 senior, and 2 contribs for 9 total.

Okay, I'll go with Steve Sabol and Paul Tagliabue in the contribs category.

#4 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:09 AM
Put them all in! More the merrier . . . It's crazy - to me - that there's potential for 8 member classes.

Prediction for who I think they'll select: Lynch, Dungy, Seau, Bettis, Anderson, Tags, Modell and Goldberg

Who I would select: Harrison, TD, Pace, Seau, Sabol, Easley and Howley

#5 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:06 AM
2014 HALL OF FAME FINALISTS
NAME
Morten Andersen - not a prayer. The pure kicker days are done.
Jerome Bettis - LARGE following, nice guy, another Steeler
Tim Brown - Touchdown Jesus can't help him now.
Kevin Greene - Why Not?
Charles Haley - Soon, but not yet
Marvin Harrison - Deserving
John Lynch - Need a DB
Will Shields - See ya in a couple more years
Junior Seau - Popular and Deserving, will sell a lot of shirts
Kurt Warner - Please, no QBs
Isaac Bruce - Bide your time
Orlando Pace - Wait a bit
Torry Holt - Soon, m' boy, soon
Edgerrin James - Very Deserving but can't have two RBs
Kevin Mawae - One of these days
Ty Law - Matter continued
Steve Atwater - Maybe some day
Roger Craig - Well, if we're gonna have two RBS, why not
Terrell Davis - Next year, TD, you and the Edge
Mike Kenn - Another couple of years
Joe Jacoby - HOGG Heaven
Karl Mecklenberg - Jerry first
Steve Wisniewski - So long for a while
Jimmy Johnson - Hair today, gone 'til another day
Don Coryell - AIRBORNE, All the Way
Paul Tagliabue - nothing but a baby-sitter
George Young - The MAIN reason for NYG success for a long time
Edward J. DeBartolo, Jr. - a players' owner but nothing for the League or for Football
Tony Dungy - No sympathy votes this year
Senior A - Jerry Kramer - About time
Senior B - Chuck Howley - in Memory of BC
Steve Sabol - Without him, how little would you know

And the winners are:
Steve Sabol - Without him, how little would you know
Jerome Bettis - LARGE following, nice guy, another Steeler
Kevin Greene - Why Not?
John Lynch - Need a DB
Joe Jacoby - HOGG Heaven
SENIORS
Senior A - Jerry Kramer - About time
Senior B - Chuck Howley - in Memory of BC
CONTRIBS
Don Coryell - AIRBORNE, All the Way
George Young - The MAIN reason for NYG success for a long time

#6 97Den98
Forum Visitors
Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:43 PM
2015 Reg. Nominees: Steve Sabol, Don Coryell, Orlando Pace, Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, Tim Brown

Senior Nominees: Randy Gradishar, Jerry Kramer.

#7 Versatile John
PFRA Member
Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:57 PM
My predictions: Junior Seau, Tim Brown, Kurt Warner (do not agree with this choice at all), John Lynch, Orlando Pace (not sure if he is first ballot worthy), Randy Gradishar, Mick Tinglehoff,...Contributors: Paul Tagliabue and Steve Sabol

If it is a perfect world, my personal choices, if I voted: Jim Tyrer, Lemar Parrish, Tim Brown, Junior Seau, Joey Browner, Will Shields, Marvin Harrison...Hard to leave out Duke Slater and Randy Gradishar........Contributors: Paul Tagliabue, Steve Sabol

#8 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:53 PM
Seau, Bettis, Greene, Harrison, and a coach, Dungy or Coryell. No opinion on seniors. Tags as a contributor plus an owner.

A WR will get in, but it will be interesting to see if they go with "turn" (Brown) or merit (Harrison).

#9 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:02 AM
Prediction- Bettis, Seau, Harrison, Shields, Lynch, Sabol, Tagliabue, Howley

Who would I like to see?
M. Harrison, Shields, Seau, Sharpe, Holt
Contributors- Sabol, Coryell
Seniors- Klecko

#10 John Turney
PFRA Member
Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:18 PM
Jerome Bettis
Tim Brown
Marvin Harrison
Junior Seau
Kurt Warner
Paul Tagliabue
Steve Sabol
Mick Tingelhoff

#11 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:01 PM
If Bettis gets in, the "Floyd Little worst RB in" comments go bye bye.

#12 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:23 AM
No, they really won't.

#13 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:33 AM
Jeremy Crowhurst, on 10 Aug 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:
No, they really won't.
well, yeah, because of steelers fans and youngsters only looking at stats.

Elsewhere this week I dealt with a Giants hater who stated Strahan was a compiler, was a failure at RE, faced weak right tackles, had his Hall candidacy aided because Regis Philbin retired, had many opportunities to get sacks (the guy didn't know or pretended not to know that it is much harder to sack QBs these days) and still had a low sack total, and is misleadingly among the sack leaders because pre-1982 sack totals are not official. I found his arguments to be silly. Also inane is the Bettis-was-the-last-big-back-and-he-was-a'ight-so-he-belongs-in. Worst reason for induction ever? It might be.

#14 97Den98
Forum Visitors
Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:34 AM
Jeremy Crowhurst, on 10 Aug 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:
No, they really won't.

That's because Curtis Martin is, not Little.

#15 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:46 AM
97Den98, on 10 Aug 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:
That's because Curtis Martin is, not Little.
Anyone who ever occupied a #1 or #2 spot on my hate list due to playing well for a rival, such as Martin, is now in the Hall or will be. I see arguments for numerous old backs (Hornung, Kelly, Canadeo, Walker, Guyon, Battles, Riggins, and several others) as "worst RB in". I don't even see the argument for Martin as the worst.

I get the Little, Namath, Millner, Wojciechowicz, Doak Walker, Monk, Swann arguments. I don't see where you could have a beef with Martin's enshrinement. I suppose the argument against is the 4.0 yards per carry number. But then, you must take into account his three worst years in that department (1996, 1998, 2005). In 2005, his final year, he played hurt and the team was awful. His 1996 and 1998 teams were great and coached by Bill Parcells. What did Parcells do when his teams were winning? Clock killing with vanilla run plays. See Ottis Anderson actually being effective even with hideous-looking yards per carry numbers.

#16 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:53 AM
JWL, on 10 Aug 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

I understand the differences of opinion on this site as to the relative value of statistics, but there are some things that are hard to ignore, and #6 all-time is a tough stat to ignore, particularly when #7 through 14 are all either in or going in real soon (James). I don't know of an argument that says Little is better than Bettis except "I saw Bettis play and I saw Little, and Little was better". And that, of course, isn't an argument, it's merely an opinion.

#17 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:02 AM
I don't think Bettis is a HOF'er (as I've said here before and explained why, so I won't repeat myself) ... obviously don't think Floyd Little is a HOF'er either. Wouldn't go with the phrasing of "worse" or "worst" since both were good players, just not HOF level players, to me.

I do know that individual stats definitely are not rated as more important than what happened on film, especially by coaches, at least the ones I played for and know.

There was just a good post about Romo and his "stats" just the other day that kind of summed it all up, or you can go with Vinny T: Top 10 in both passing yards and passing TD's, everyone above him on each list is in the HOF or a 'likely' HOF'er. The guy behind him on TD's is someone named Joe Montana, whatever that means ...

6th all-time? What about one better in another stat, 5th all-time in career ints. I don't think Ken Riley is a HOF'er either.

Either way, if I had to pick between Martin and Bettis to be my RB, I'de take Martin.

#18 John Turney
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:04 PM
JWL, on 10 Aug 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

Elsewhere this week I dealt with a Giants hater who stated Strahan was a compiler, was a failure at RE, faced weak right tackles, had his Hall candidacy aided because Regis Philbin retired, had many opportunities to get sacks (the guy didn't know or pretended not to know that it is much harder to sack QBs these days) and still had a low sack total, and is misleadingly among the sack leaders because pre-1982 sack totals are not official. I found his arguments to be silly. Also inane is the Bettis-was-the-last-big-back-and-he-was-a'ight-so-he-belongs-in. Worst reason for induction ever? It might be.
Wow. I guess I am an idiot. I think Strahan was a great player and nothing close to a "compiler". My only beef was the phantom sack . . . but looking at a whole career . . . how can I be so off? I mean I think Strahan was a HOFer and this fan you mention soulds like he thinks Strahan stinks.

Oh well.

#19 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:15 PM
Jeremy Crowhurst, on 10 Aug 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:
I understand the differences of opinion on this site as to the relative value of statistics, but there are some things that are hard to ignore, and #6 all-time is a tough stat to ignore, particularly when #7 through 14 are all either in or going in real soon (James). I don't know of an argument that says Little is better than Bettis except "I saw Bettis play and I saw Little, and Little was better". And that, of course, isn't an argument, it's merely an opinion.

He did have several Hall of Fame type seasons and he played a long enough time to chart high on the all-time rushing list. I never found him to be a great player, though. His niceness, size and who he played for shouldn't matter, but it seems like it does.

#20 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:12 PM
John Turney, on 10 Aug 2014 - 6:04 PM, said:
Wow. I guess I am an idiot. I think Strahan was a great player and nothing close to a "compiler". My only beef was the phantom sack . . . but looking at a whole career . . . how can I be so off? I mean I think Strahan was a HOFer and this fan you mention soulds like he thinks Strahan stinks.

Oh well.

He is a Jets fan who also thinks it is a joke that Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame. Also thinks Steve Young and Howie Long are severely overrated and that Long only made the Hall of Fame because of his TV career. I hope this guy never finds this forum because he would annoy most, or all, of us and would have 1,000 posts within six months.

Page 1 of 2
oldecapecod 11

Predictions for HoF Class of 2015
Started by 26554, Aug 03 2014 01:11 AM

Page 2 of 2

23 replies to this topic

#21 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:23 PM
He's back at it again. Simeon Rice was apparently a much better pass rusher than Strahan and because DEs only make the PFHOF based on pass rush ability...

I would provide a link for laughs, but I don't want it coming up on a search or for anyone to be tempted to create an account there to troll him because should this guy ever find out about this site, I am telling you, he will reach 1,000 posts within six months and drive most of us up the wall. He is the most profilic poster on a Jets forum and on a Dolphins forum.

#22 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:56 PM
Okay it's like you're throwing down the gauntlet. We will find this site!!!!

#23 JohnMaxymuk
PFRA Member
Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:31 PM
JWL, is your friend Warren Sapp?

#24 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:40 PM
JohnMaxymuk, on 11 Aug 2014 - 6:31 PM, said:
JWL, is your friend Warren Sapp?

Lol. No, but somehow he is more obnoxious. He often won't respond to direct questions. He will say your argument is weak no matter what. He often will write that he is more knowledgeable than 99% of the people on the forum. This is all real too. He's been doing this stuff for over a decade. He is the worst person on the internet in my book. I only respond to his stuff to entertain other people and amuse myself in a way.

Page 2 of 2
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister