Top-4 All-Time RBs...

Reaser

Re: Top-4 All-Time RBs...

Post by Reaser »

Had to retype what I was posting earlier because I was [also] going to ask what the criteria was and say that Faulk doesn't end up on these lists as much as he should, then John's post popped up. So he said everything I was going to say about Faulk except I included his "football IQ" on my list of attributes, too.

Of what I think the criteria is, Brown and Payton are obvious choices. I would have Faulk on the list, too.

I'm very much a fan of SVB and The King. Even bigger fan of Jim Taylor. LT is in the Faulk mold though I like Faulk more. Like "Tanks" I like to get the entire history in so I look at someone like Latone but that's based on everything I've read/researched but still will never know how good was he really? On one hand I think he should be in the PFHOF, on the other I've never seen him play with my own eyes and that's a big thing, for me. Then you have guys like Emmitt who I've posted about before that he was in the category of so overrated that people go the complete opposite and eventually he becomes severely underrated, but I don't think he'd be Top-4 for me. I know Barry Sanders wouldn't be, -unless the criteria is top-4 most exciting RB's- I was never as impressed with him as a football player as everyone else seemed to be. I once left him off a Top-10 RB list that we did on the old forum and still feel perfectly fine about that. Juice and The Tyler Rose were obviously great. Others, etc.

I think I'd just leave it as Brown and Payton as top-2 then say that Faulk would be my choice out of RB's whose career I saw 'in real time' start to finish -- i.e. was actually alive and watching football before he was in the NFL (or in college for that matter). And even if I hadn't been alive I'd probably start my top-3 with him in it, anyway.

If I were to use John's "want on my team", LT and Allen (bonus points for my middle name being named after him) would join my list, in that context.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Interesting you guys rank Faulk so high, I was obviously alive for his career, but most of it it coincided with a period I mostly watched college football if anything. Anyway, Ron Jaworski wrote a book called seven sundays which I really like. The chapters on the Bears 46 and Steelers tilted-nose were my favorites, but there was one on how the Patriots used a gameplan centered on stopping Faulk in Super Bowl XXXVI.

For the guys I'd want on my team criteria, I haven't seen highlights of Thorpe, Latone, etc. either so for something I can visualize, SVB would be my workhorse, may even let him return kicks. I'd want McElhenny for passing situations and punt returns. I'd start Motley at FB - he seemed like a heck of a pass protector for Graham. With those 3 already and just 1 ball, I'd take Joe Perry - I think he'd do whatever was asked without complaint.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Motley, Brown, Sayers, OJ
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Not to derail, but my all time "what might've been" backs

William Andrews - Gale Sayers - Bo Jackson - Billy Sims

hon mention - Ickey
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I liked the "might've been" list - I remember Andrews and Sims from when I first started watching football. Pretty easily just found highlights of Sims first game as a pro - seemed like Nolan Cromwell kept being the one who had to bring him down as he kept getting into the secondary.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

-OJ: If you made a list of the greatest seasons a running back has ever had, the Juice would be the first one to appear on the list twice. And 1975 may be higher than 1973.

-Barry: Remarkably consistent year over year. His worst season was 1993, when he missed 5 games. Still had 1100 yards and 4.3 YPC.

-Jim Brown: Nothing needs to be said about his running, but he put up decent receiving numbers during the second half of his career. And he finished with more touchdown receptions than the next name on the list.

-Walter Payton: Had everything you'd want in a football player except the "4th gear." I still think the best play he ever made was a block on the blitzing Viking LB on Jim McMahon's first play in a 1985 primetime matchup.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Regarding OJ 1973 vs 1975, I've found it interesting that I've heard Greg Tranter say at least a few times, he would consider OJ's 1973 season more impressive than 1975 (despite better overall numbers in 75) since the Bills passing offense was so nonexistent in 1973 that the opposing defense HAD to know OJ was getting the handoff on almost every single play. Yet he still finished the year with 2003 yards.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Regarding OJ 1973 vs 1975, I've found it interesting that I've heard Greg Tranter say at least a few times, he would consider OJ's 1973 season more impressive than 1975 (despite better overall numbers in 75) since the Bills passing offense was so nonexistent in 1973 that the opposing defense HAD to know OJ was getting the handoff on almost every single play. Yet he still finished the year with 2003 yards.
2000 yards and 6.0 YPC make a pretty good case for 1973. But Jeff Miller has always made a compelling case for 1975. I think OJ's 1975 season is more impressive than most other people's 2000 yard seasons.
The 1973 team was built to run the ball with the Electric Company, Paul Seymour, and strong blockers in Bobby Chandler and JD Hill.
James

Top-4 All-Time RBs...

Post by James »

This is a tough one. Walter Payton and Barry Sanders for sure. Then you have guys like Nagurski, Clarke Hinkle, Steve Van Buren, Marion Motley, Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson. This is a tough one fellas.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

conace21 wrote:-OJ: If you made a list of the greatest seasons a running back has ever had, the Juice would be the first one to appear on the list twice. And 1975 may be higher than 1973.
I suppose that might depend on when you made the list...
In 1947 and 49 Steve Van Buren became the first back to rush for 1,000 yards twice (and he only narrowly missed making it in the in-between year, with 945 yards in 1948).
In the late 40's that might've been a more extraordinary feat than 2,000 yards in the 70's.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... nBSt00.htm

I am having a hard time believing some are putting Barry Sanders on their list instead of Jim Brown...
I guess I am with Reaser on this one... Sanders was a damn good back but, in my opinion, nowhere near the top four ever to play. And certainly not better than the best ever to play the position.

But hey, that's what these topics are for.
To get everyone's opinion and try to reach a consensus.