Has anybody been able to rewatch Super Bowl XII

lastcat3

Has anybody been able to rewatch Super Bowl XII

Post by lastcat3 »

Has anybody ever been able to sit through an entire rewatch of this game? This is definitely one of the worst (if not the worst) Super Bowls ever played thus far. I'm not old enough to have been able to watch it live but I have had the dvd of the game for about nine years now and given that I am a Cowboys fan and it was a Super Bowl that they won I'd like to be able to sit and watch the entire thing but it is just so difficult to do. One time many years ago I believe I made it into the second quarter before having to stop and recently attempted to watch it again and was quickly reminded why it is so hard to watch. It seems like for the first few possessions both teams had almost every single play was either a fumble, sack, a pass to the middle of nowhere, or a penalty.

So has anybody ever been able to sit through this game in one setting?
Rupert Patrick

Re: Has anybody been able to rewatch Super Bowl XII

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I've never seen Super Bowl XII. It's the only Super Bowl from III to LII that I have not watched, even though I have the Super Bowl XII broadcast on DVD. I was 13 when it aired, but I remember being very sick that day and slept thru the game and have never gotten around to watching it.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

lastcat3 wrote:Has anybody ever been able to sit through an entire rewatch of this game? This is definitely one of the worst (if not the worst) Super Bowls ever played thus far. I'm not old enough to have been able to watch it live but I have had the dvd of the game for about nine years now and given that I am a Cowboys fan and it was a Super Bowl that they won I'd like to be able to sit and watch the entire thing but it is just so difficult to do. One time many years ago I believe I made it into the second quarter before having to stop and recently attempted to watch it again and was quickly reminded why it is so hard to watch. It seems like for the first few possessions both teams had almost every single play was either a fumble, sack, a pass to the middle of nowhere, or a penalty.

So has anybody ever been able to sit through this game in one setting?

Saw the game live, but have never seen the replay on the NFL Network. Very sloppy game to be sure, Denver's defense did well to hold Dallas to 27 points. The Dallas defense knew how to defend Craig Morton, who was a statue in a collapsing pass pocket. Without a strong running attack, it was going to be a long day for the Broncos.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

L.C. Greenwood wrote: Saw the game live, but have never seen the replay on the NFL Network.
I don't know why the NFL Network doesn't replay more of the older Super Bowl games. I know the Steelers four Super Bowls from the 1970's are legally available for purchase on DVD in a box set produced by the NFL, as are the Cowboys and 49ers Super Bowl victories as are most of them for the major teams (Redskins, Broncos, Dolphins). Why the NFL Network doesn't play these older games on occasion is a crime, especially since they insist on playing the same dozen games from the past season or two and will occasionally throw in a Super Bowl from the past ten seasons to go with it.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
L.C. Greenwood wrote: Saw the game live, but have never seen the replay on the NFL Network.
I don't know why the NFL Network doesn't replay more of the older Super Bowl games. I know the Steelers four Super Bowls from the 1970's are legally available for purchase on DVD in a box set produced by the NFL, as are the Cowboys and 49ers Super Bowl victories as are most of them for the major teams (Redskins, Broncos, Dolphins). Why the NFL Network doesn't play these older games on occasion is a crime, especially since they insist on playing the same dozen games from the past season or two and will occasionally throw in a Super Bowl from the past ten seasons to go with it.
The NFL is starting to release old Super Bowl games on their youtube channel now. Just go into youtube and search for super bowl full games and they will pop right up. They are being released from the nfl so they are completely fine with them being up there and viewed. I think they started doing that because users just continuously were uploading those games and as soon as the nfl took them down the users would just put them right back up.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

This is actually the first game I ever remember watching with any inkling of what was going on.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

John Facenda's opening sentence in his narration of the Super Bowl XII highlight film best sums up this game:"Right from the start Super Bowl XII was a coach's nightmare!!"

This was also the first Super Bowl played indoors and Steve Sabol Jr. related in one feature that the artificial lighting in the Superdome gave them problems that they hadn't anticipated. Other than Butch Johnson's spectacular diving TD catch (which would not be a catch under the present rules), some nifty returns by Rick Upchurch, and the first option pass for a TD in SB history by Robert Newhouse (the joke was he never completed the pass in practice!) there were few standout moments to remember about this game. The game featured co MVPS Randy White and Harvey Martin, which makes for a great trivia question, however.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The game featured co MVPS Randy White and Harvey Martin, which makes for a great trivia question, however.
Also an interesting bit of trivia... Harvey Martin is the only deceased Super Bowl MVP.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

RRMarshall wrote:John Facenda's opening sentence in his narration of the Super Bowl XII highlight film best sums up this game:"Right from the start Super Bowl XII was a coach's nightmare!!"

This was also the first Super Bowl played indoors and Steve Sabol Jr. related in one feature that the artificial lighting in the Superdome gave them problems that they hadn't anticipated. Other than Butch Johnson's spectacular diving TD catch (which would not be a catch under the present rules), some nifty returns by Rick Upchurch, and the first option pass for a TD in SB history by Robert Newhouse (the joke was he never completed the pass in practice!) there were few standout moments to remember about this game. The game featured co MVPS Randy White and Harvey Martin, which makes for a great trivia question, however.

It's interesting how Super Bowl 9 was supposed to have been the debut event for the Louisiana Superdome, but it wasn't ready. Instead, the game had to moved to ancient Tulane Stadium, and it was a miserable day in January of 1975. In recent times, you just don't see that kind of mistake.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

RRMarshall wrote:John Facenda's opening sentence in his narration of the Super Bowl XII highlight film best sums up this game:"Right from the start Super Bowl XII was a coach's nightmare!!"

Along that line, since it was the first played indoors, it was interesting in one (perhaps only one) respect-- CBS made a point of installing extra cameras on the Superdome ceiling and gave us viewers in 1978 a perspective nearly none of us had ever seen before, a scene of the action from directly overhead. My recollection is that it was limited to instant replay if there was anything interesting that happened around midfield, but it was unprecedented on TV.