1985 Chargers

Wendell02

Re: 1985 Chargers

Post by Wendell02 »

Decided to take a crack at these. For 12 games, not surprisingly the 1950 Rams had the most with 775 (466/309). The next two are also from 1950. The Yanks with 733 (366/367) and the Colts with 675 (213/462).

For 14 games, I thought for sure it would be an AFL team, but only one in the top five:
1965 49ers, 823 (421/402)
1962 Cowboys, 800 (398/402)
1965 Vikings, 786 (383/403)
1960 Jets, 781 (382, 399)
1975 Bills, 775 (420/355)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:Yes, the AFC wasn't that difficult in 1985, and with a better defense, San Diego could have done some real damage in the postseason. Dan Fouts and company were potent in the air, and while the running game was without Chuck Muncie, multi-purpose weapons like Lionel James and Gary Anderson could move the chains. A San Diego-Miami playoff clash would have been fun, the 1986 Chargers killed Miami in the season opener that season. I enjoyed NFL football much more in the 80s.
Lionel James had such a weird season. To me, James getting 1000 yards receiving is more impressive than Roger Craig's 1000 yards receiving, because Craig was always on the field whereas James split time with Gary Anderson. When James came into the game, defenses knew that it was most likely going to be a pass play (and most likely to James), yet they couldn't stop James and he averaged nearly 12 yards per reception. I'd love to know the offensive design which got James open all the time. I was watching a bit of the 40-34 OT win over the Raiders, and James ended the game with a 17-yard TD run from a formation which was rather unique...basically a Pro Set 'far' formation with Tim Spencer at FB and James at HB, but 4 yards behind Spencer is Gary Anderson. So offset 3 RBs with James and Spencer essentially as FBs and Anderson as the TB. I guess it would be like the "Power I" formation that Coryell had developed in the late 1950's. Everyone sweeps to the right but James gets the ball, cuts up inside the flowing Raiders D and scores. Interesting stuff from Coryell.

A tidbit about James...when he had his big 316-yard game against the Bengals in 1985, during that game he had a 100-yard kickoff return TD called back for a penalty. Without that penalty flag, James would have had a 400+ yard game.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Bryan wrote:
L.C. Greenwood wrote:Yes, the AFC wasn't that difficult in 1985, and with a better defense, San Diego could have done some real damage in the postseason. Dan Fouts and company were potent in the air, and while the running game was without Chuck Muncie, multi-purpose weapons like Lionel James and Gary Anderson could move the chains. A San Diego-Miami playoff clash would have been fun, the 1986 Chargers killed Miami in the season opener that season. I enjoyed NFL football much more in the 80s.
Lionel James had such a weird season. To me, James getting 1000 yards receiving is more impressive than Roger Craig's 1000 yards receiving, because Craig was always on the field whereas James split time with Gary Anderson. When James came into the game, defenses knew that it was most likely going to be a pass play (and most likely to James), yet they couldn't stop James and he averaged nearly 12 yards per reception. I'd love to know the offensive design which got James open all the time. I was watching a bit of the 40-34 OT win over the Raiders, and James ended the game with a 17-yard TD run from a formation which was rather unique...basically a Pro Set 'far' formation with Tim Spencer at FB and James at HB, but 4 yards behind Spencer is Gary Anderson. So offset 3 RBs with James and Spencer essentially as FBs and Anderson as the TB. I guess it would be like the "Power I" formation that Coryell had developed in the late 1950's. Everyone sweeps to the right but James gets the ball, cuts up inside the flowing Raiders D and scores. Interesting stuff from Coryell.

A tidbit about James...when he had his big 316-yard game against the Bengals in 1985, during that game he had a 100-yard kickoff return TD called back for a penalty. Without that penalty flag, James would have had a 400+ yard game.

Lionel James was an outstanding RB at Auburn, but anyone would have been overshadowed by Bo Jackson. I think one reason for his success as a receiver was just the fact San Diego had so many other weapons, Eric Sievers and Pete Holohan were good tight ends, along with Chandler and Joiner at WR. Like Terry Metcalf in the 70s, linebackers had a tough time covering an agile RB in Coryell's system. Another factor for James as a runner was the fact his 5'6 size was sometimes helpful behind those large offensive lineman. The shifty Gary Anderson also helped San Diego win that thrilling game versus the Raiders, he was also fun to watch.