Maxie Baughan: Canton or Nay?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Re: Maxie Baughan: Canton or Nay?

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:
Bryan wrote:Baughan was the signal caller/"Bill George" for George Allen's defense with the Rams, which was unique for an OLB. He was one of the LBs featured in the late-1960's "Great Linebackers of the NFL" book that I proudly own, and his accolades show that he was respected during the time period in which he played. I don't know a whole lot about Baughan, but he seemed to be a "glue guy" who didn't have great physical attributes and didn't make a ton of game-changing plays. Perhaps he was the NFL version of Larry Grantham in certain respects. I have always put Chuck Howley above Baughan on my "HOF Snub" lists, because Howley remained extremely productive when Baughan's career tailed off, and Howley had 49 turnovers (including postseason) compared to Baughan's 28.
I am beginning to wonder of a couple earlier "corner LBers" aren't as or mor deserving... Fortunato, etc...

I think Baughan getting in would be fine, but I agree, if that era I have Howley on the top of the list of OLBer passed over.
I've thought six of the best OLBs from the 60s-70s not in were Howley, Baughan, Brazile, Fortunato, Grantham, and Forester. Am fine with any and all getting in.
JuggernautJ

Re: Maxie Baughan: Canton or Nay?

Post by JuggernautJ »

An interesting tidbit from the Coffin Corner Vol 32 #6 Nov/Dec 2010 in an article by Bernard Binker:
The 1967 Coastal Division Race: The Pit and the Pendulum

"The linebacking... signal caller Maxie Baughan (who tutored a young Bill Belichick in the intricacies of Allen's defensive system in the mid-70's)..."

The "Allen" referred to is of course George Allen.