HOF Finalists named

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Though no word

Post by JohnTurney »

No announcment, but Jones and Easley have to be in...we'd have heard about "snub" esp. of Jones
Ness

Re: HOF Finalists named

Post by Ness »

The HOF might be worse than the Pro Bowl at this point. Leaving out Terrell Owens for the second straight year is absurd. But shooting star candidates Warner and Davis get in before him? Inexcusable.

Owens perceived attitude with the media should be irrelevant to his accomplishments on the field. We're not talking about a murderer, someone who beat women, or did drugs. He wasn't nice to the media. Big deal. These sportswriters shouldn't be making it about themselves. It's about the player. Owens is a top 5 receiver of the modern era, and his numbers back it up. Just watch Hines Ward get in before him because he was "nice".
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Easley confirmed in
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Jerry Jones in also, per NFL Honors.
JohnTurney

On my prediction I got 5 of 8

Post by JohnTurney »

missed on tags, missed on Taylor, Andersen and got 5 of the 7 that got in. Had Coryell and Jacoby in place of Taylor and Anderson
JWL

Post by JWL »

Ness wrote:The HOF might be worse than the Pro Bowl at this point. Leaving out Terrell Owens for the second straight year is absurd. But shooting star candidates Warner and Davis get in before him? Inexcusable.

Owens perceived attitude with the media should be irrelevant to his accomplishments on the field. We're not talking about a murderer, someone who beat women, or did drugs. He wasn't nice to the media. Big deal. These sportswriters shouldn't be making it about themselves. It's about the player. Owens is a top 5 receiver of the modern era, and his numbers back it up. Just watch Hines Ward get in before him because he was "nice".

I don't remember Owens being difficult with the media. The problem with him was childish team-hurting behavior and a lot of dropped passes. He's got just enough warts to have to wait a few years.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Terrell Davis, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor, Kurt Warner, Morten Andersen, Kenny Easley & Jerry Jones

NFL Honors isn't on the west coast until 8pm so it's a good thing the HOF is so good at keeping stuff from getting leaked out, ha.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Reaser wrote:Terrell Davis, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jason Taylor, Kurt Warner, Morten Andersen, Kenny Easley & Jerry Jones
Davis- I always struggled with him just because I don't know what the line should be. Three great years is enough? Or should it be four? Or five?

Tomlinson- no-brainer selection

Taylor- no problem with him getting in right away as he would have been one of my five selections if I had a vote

Warner- deserves it

Andersen- one of top five kickers, so if you are of the opinion the top five kickers should be in, then he deserves it

Easley- no-brainer selection

Jones- ehh
JWL

Post by JWL »

Reaser wrote:NFL Honors isn't on the west coast until 8pm so it's a good thing the HOF is so good at keeping stuff from getting leaked out, ha.

J.J. Watt got another Defensive Player of the Year award
Ness

Post by Ness »

JWL wrote:
Ness wrote:The HOF might be worse than the Pro Bowl at this point. Leaving out Terrell Owens for the second straight year is absurd. But shooting star candidates Warner and Davis get in before him? Inexcusable.

I don't remember Owens being difficult with the media. The problem with him was childish team-hurting behavior and a lot of dropped passes. He's got just enough warts to have to wait a few years.
How did he hurt his team when he was putting up All Pro numbers every single season? Would you rather have a worse player on your team that doesn't produce, but is "nice"? Not sure if serious. He didn't have the greatest hands, but his other attributes far outweighed that setback. That would be like criticizing Cris Carter because he wasn't as fast or didn't jump as high. At the end of the day Owens made plays and was arguably the best receiver in the football in his prime. He was on the All Decade team even.

And it really depends on who you ask in regards to him being a good teammate or not. It's definitely not a consensus opinion.

Meanwhile you got Favre in on first ballot who is maybe a top 10 QB of all time. But he held the Packers hostage for three years about, threw a ton of interceptions in big games, had a drug problem, and was embroiled in off the field controversy like sending pictures of a his junk to a female reporter. But oh, let him in the HOF because "I'd have a beer with that guy".

LIke I said, the HOF is beyond ridiculous at this point. Oh and Morten Anderson? Career 79% kicking percentage. Missing every 5th kick now would get you cut in the NFL. Maybe it was a different era for kickers in his time, whatever.
Last edited by Ness on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.