falconfan58

Re: All-Had To Retire Early team

Post by falconfan58 »

RB-william andrews WR-sterling sharpe
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Jeff Nixon, FS
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
single wing

Post by single wing »

Okay i am going to go for one of the oldie but goodies.

Spec Sanders !
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Clayton Tonnemaker. He was something of a prodigy, winning a high school letter when he was still in the 8th grade and taking part in the University of Minnesota's spring practice scrimmage when he was still in high school. He and Leo Nomellini anchored a Minnesota defense that gave up only 9 points in 1949, when he was a consensus All-America linebacker. He was an All-Pro as a rookie center/linebacker with the Packers in 1950, then spent two years in military service and was an All-Pro again, as a linebacker, in 1953. He suffered a knee injury in 1954 and, although he didn't miss a game that season, the injury forced him into retirement.
MarbleEye

Post by MarbleEye »

Red Grange retired twice and both times (especially the 1st) could be construed as "early". Even after the 1st retirement in which he lost most of his cutting ability, when he came back, he still went on to star in two NFL Championship game victories for the Bears (32 and 33) and led the league in rushing twice (as far as is known by incomplete statistics).

Also most of the players in the one hit wonders thread retired early and may qualify to be at least looked at for purposes of this thread.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Warren Wells for the other receiver spot.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

rhickok1109 wrote:Clayton Tonnemaker. He was something of a prodigy, winning a high school letter when he was still in the 8th grade and taking part in the University of Minnesota's spring practice scrimmage when he was still in high school. He and Leo Nomellini anchored a Minnesota defense that gave up only 9 points in 1949, when he was a consensus All-America linebacker. He was an All-Pro as a rookie center/linebacker with the Packers in 1950, then spent two years in military service and was an All-Pro again, as a linebacker, in 1953. He suffered a knee injury in 1954 and, although he didn't miss a game that season, the injury forced him into retirement.
That's a name out of the past. When I was a kid and had some football cards (1950 Bowman) he was one of my
favorites. I believe he was one of the heaviest players in those cards with a weight of 240 pounds. I also liked his
somewhat unusual name.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I'll have to go with George Blanda.

Just kidding guys. LOL

Joe Zagorski
JWL

Post by JWL »

Zach Orr
Dennis Byrd
jeckle_and_heckle

Post by jeckle_and_heckle »

The New England Patriots can contribute two to this team.
Darryl Stingley, an outstanding WR who became paralyzed in 1978 in a game versus the Raiders after a hit by DB Jack Tatum. Stingley died at age 55 in 2007.
Don Blackmon, a Patriots all-1980s LB who suffered a neck injury in 1987 also versus the Raiders.
Blackmon went on to be an assistant coach for a number of teams.
"ROGER THAT"