HOF Finalists named

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
James

HOF Finalists named

Post by James »

Joe Zagorski wrote:The problem in the HOF selections is not the modern-day finalists...the problem is strictly confined to the Veterans or Senior Committee. Those selectors need to have their heads examined. If Kenny Easley gets in before Johnny Robinson (which surely seems to be the case), then there is something drastically wrong with the selection process.
Joe Zagorski
Totally agree. Easley is HOF worthy, but how does he get in before Ox Emerson, Lavie Dilweg, Al Wistert? I think there has been something wrong with the selection process for many years now.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
conace21

Re: HOF Finalists named

Post by conace21 »

JWL wrote:
James wrote:Besides LaDainian, Easley, Coryell, Kurt Warner, to me at least, how many of the others are actually deserving of the Hall?
I find Dawkins, Taylor, Andersen, Owens, and Mawae to be deserving. I can see a good case to be made for all the others not mentioned by either you or me in this here post.
I think Faneca is very deserving. He did make 1st Team All Pro six times.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I'm fine with any of these folks being elected.

Couple of surprises:Ty Law slipping past Steve Atwater since it didn't happen last year, Edgerrin James dropping off, Tony Boselli making the cut despite his short career. We can also end any chances for Joey Browner, Roger Craig, Karl Mecklenburg, and Mike Kenn -- all are either out of eligibility or nearly so and haven't been finalists. Atwater may drop into the Senior pool now also; he has about five eligible years left, but Lynch, Dawkins, Reed, and Polamalu are probably going to make it in first.

My guess on the voting:

1st cuts: Law, Boselli, Bruce, Taylor, Mawae

2nd cuts: Coryell, Faneca, Andersen, Owens, Dawkins

Elected: Jacoby, Lynch, Davis, Tomlinson, Warner, plus all Senior/Contributor candidates.

Least sure of Davis, might be Coryell, Andersen, or Owens in descending order of likelihood.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Couple of surprises:Ty Law slipping past Steve Atwater since it didn't happen last year,
Dawkins becoming eligible may have toned down interest in Atwater.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

While I'm kind of okay with Joe Jacoby (3/4/80s) getting in, it bugs me that Mike Kenn (3/5/none and a longer, likely more productive career) has gotten nowhere and seems Senior pool bound. Not to mention Marvin Powell (3/5/none, a little shorter career), who is already a Senior.

I guess PR and playing on a better team really made the difference. Too bad.

Wonder what film study says about these three in comparison. Anybody know?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

bachslunch wrote:While I'm kind of okay with Joe Jacoby (3/4/80s) getting in, it bugs me that Mike Kenn (3/5/none and a longer, likely more productive career) has gotten nowhere and seems Senior pool bound. Not to mention Marvin Powell (3/5/none, a little shorter career), who is already a Senior.

I second Mike Kenn! And how about Deron Cherry?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
bachslunch wrote:While I'm kind of okay with Joe Jacoby (3/4/80s) getting in, it bugs me that Mike Kenn (3/5/none and a longer, likely more productive career) has gotten nowhere and seems Senior pool bound. Not to mention Marvin Powell (3/5/none, a little shorter career), who is already a Senior.

I second Mike Kenn! And how about Deron Cherry?
I believe this was Cherry last chance as a regular finalist, he now joins the Senior pool.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

bachslunch wrote:I'm fine with any of these folks being elected.

Couple of surprises:Ty Law slipping past Steve Atwater since it didn't happen last year, Edgerrin James dropping off, Tony Boselli making the cut despite his short career. We can also end any chances for Joey Browner, Roger Craig, Karl Mecklenburg, and Mike Kenn -- all are either out of eligibility or nearly so and haven't been finalists. Atwater may drop into the Senior pool now also; he has about five eligible years left, but Lynch, Dawkins, Reed, and Polamalu are probably going to make it in first.

My guess on the voting:

1st cuts: Law, Boselli, Bruce, Taylor, Mawae

2nd cuts: Coryell, Faneca, Andersen, Owens, Dawkins

Elected: Jacoby, Lynch, Davis, Tomlinson, Warner, plus all Senior/Contributor candidates.

Least sure of Davis, might be Coryell, Andersen, or Owens in descending order of likelihood.

Your guesses are interesting. If I had a vote I would choose Tomlinson, Owens, Faneca, Taylor and Dawkins, but I believe that they will make your exact picks.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I believe both Lynch and Easley will be elected.
Not as much for whether they are deserving (IMO one definitely and one not-so-much) but because their respective teams have little representation in The Hall.
When I visited in 2000 Leroy Selmon's jersey looked awful lonely by itself in a corner.
But soon (I predict) Tampa Bay will have five names in Canton (Lynch, Selmon, Sapp, Brooks and Dungy) and that will be enough to draw folks up from Florida. Which is, after all, what its really all about.

I hope Jones and Tags get in this year (I can't believe I just wrote that) if only so their names don't pollute the Contributor category for the next several decades.
After all, they made the owners billions (!!!) of dollars and as we know that's what the NFL is really all about.

Question: If he is Enshrined in Canton will Jerry Jones put his own name on Dallas' "Ring of Honor?"

What a sham the NFL has become...
Who will get in? I barely care anymore... The Hall of The Very Good has far more integrity than the Hall of Fame.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JuggernautJ wrote:After all, they made the owners billions (!!!) of dollars and as we know that's what the NFL is really all about.
Realistically, for an owner to not make tens of millions every year, you have to be pretty stupid--or Art Modell. :D