Kenny Easley
Randy Gradishar
Chuck Howley
Lemar Parrish
Johnny Robinson
Sterling Sharpe
Duke Slater
Al Wistert

Sharpe was a superb receiver, maybe even top 10 all-time. Del Shofner, Harold Jackson, Cliff Branch, Mac Speedie, Billy Howton, Otis Taylor and Drew Pearson are in a tier below Sharpe in my book. Of those seven, I don't know how to rank them exactly. Any of these seven receivers could replace Brazile on my top 10 snubs list with a good argument from someone on the forum.

*Others I considered- Erich Barnes, Charley Brock, Larry Grantham, Winston Hill, E.J. Holub, Jimmy Patton, Louis Wright, Bryant Young, Joe Klecko, L.C. Greenwood, George Christensen, Maxie Baughan, Jim Tyrer, Mark Bavaro, Sam Mills, Bobby Dillon, Albert Lewis, Terrell Davis, Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, Verne Lewellen, Ox Emerson, Don Perkins, Ken Anderson and Cliff Harris.

*I am not sure any of these would make my personal Hall of Fame. I will actually put together such a thing but I have to develop some particular criteria first.
DukeSlater

Re: Sporting News Top 10 HOF snubs

Post by DukeSlater »

I know.

Some people feel that Latone and Sanders belong in Canton.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Was there really film study on Sanders? Does footage exist of the big 1400 yard year he had in the AAFC? Can I get a link to Ken's site? I'll google in the meantime.... Thanks.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

JWL wrote:My 10 in alphabetical order-
Robert Brazile
Lavvie Dilweg
Kenny Easley
Randy Gradishar
Chuck Howley
Lemar Parrish
Johnny Robinson
Sterling Sharpe
Duke Slater
Al Wistert

Sharpe was a superb receiver, maybe even top 10 all-time. Del Shofner, Harold Jackson, Cliff Branch, Mac Speedie, Billy Howton, Otis Taylor and Drew Pearson are in a tier below Sharpe in my book. Of those seven, I don't know how to rank them exactly. Any of these seven receivers could replace Brazile on my top 10 snubs list with a good argument from someone on the forum.

*Others I considered- Erich Barnes, Charley Brock, Larry Grantham, Winston Hill, E.J. Holub, Jimmy Patton, Louis Wright, Bryant Young, Joe Klecko, L.C. Greenwood, George Christensen, Maxie Baughan, Jim Tyrer, Mark Bavaro, Sam Mills, Bobby Dillon, Albert Lewis, Terrell Davis, Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, Verne Lewellen, Ox Emerson, Don Perkins, Ken Anderson and Cliff Harris.

*I am not sure any of these would make my personal Hall of Fame. I will actually put together such a thing but I have to develop some particular criteria first.
Winston Hill, Erich Barnes, Greenwood, Albert Lewis, Dillon, etc. were on my second snubbed list.

I forgot about Emerson (and others) that the previous posted mentioned.
Last edited by DukeSlater on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Was there really film study on Sanders? Does footage exist of the big 1400 yard year he had in the AAFC? Can I get a link to Ken's site? I'll google in the meantime.... Thanks.
Reaser and I have only reviewed three games of his so far. Obviously, the more games we review, the stronger we feel about the grade.

The link to the site is: http://www.kencrippen.com/historical-sc ... eports.htm
TanksAndSpartans

Thanks Ken. Great site! I'm going to spend some more time on it.

Looks like you have Spec as a solid Hall of Very Good player. I was surprised to see him as a One-Way player. Did the AAFC have free substitution from the beginning? The other interesting thing I recall about his career is I think he had a bad injury so when he got to the NFL, I think he played exclusively defense and had a good year.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

The other problem Spec Sanders has re the HoF is that they have a minimum of five years career for player eligibility. Sanders only played four years (1946-48, 1950).
TanksAndSpartans

I didn't know about the five year rule, that basically eliminates Spec Sanders.

The other player on my list that was mentioned in follow up posts was Latone. He's not in the HOVG either. I don't think anyone is going to find film of him - I'd love to see that. The Coffin Corner article about all-pro selections from his era, I believe only gives him one - 28?. Everything I recall reading that is supportive of his greatness as a player is from books/stories about the Maroons (My own experience though has been that the 20s is tough to find written material on - I've seen several books that interview players from the 30s. I recall an Ed Heally interview, but not a lot from the 20s). There is a quote from Red Grange in one of the Maroons books, but Grange doesn't appear to have consistently mentioned Latone as a great player as I have only read articles where Grange doesn't mention Latone.

I'm keeping him on my HOF (HOVG since i don't get a HOF vote) list - I would like to see more written about him independent of the Maroons season where they had the territorial issue, but what I have read has swayed me.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:The other player on my list that was mentioned in follow up posts was Latone. He's not in the HOVG either.
I nominate him for the HOVG (full disclosure, I'm on the HOVG committee) most years as one of my five.

You are correct though, there's the books about Pottsville, the famed 'quote' from Grange, few stats, few honors and no film (that I've seen). With some passing mentions here and there in stories/articles about the era.

Regardless, everything I've read and researched makes him out to be a great HOVG candidate. Not as a clear HOF snub which is how collectively (PFRA) we vote some players in, but in the category of a player that should be recognized/remembered. In some ways an ideal HOVG candidate.
TanksAndSpartans

Thanks Reaser. What does it take for a HOVG candidate to be considered by the committee? Does the player have to be on a certain number/percentage of ballots?