Jimmy G, most fragile QB ever?

JameisBrownston

Jimmy G, most fragile QB ever?

Post by JameisBrownston »

With the news that Garoppolo will miss time yet again with his newest annual injury, and sure enough, it's a completely different thing from all the others, I wonder if this has to be approaching some kind of historic level. I've never seen a player in my life who seems to get injured as often over expectation as this guy. He isn't even a "mobile" QB. There is no plausible explanation for why he gets hurt this much, except that he's not just made of glass, he's made of glass shards being held together in the shape of a man by a psychic field. Adjusting for era, position, playstyle, and playing time, has there ever been a more brittle football player than Jimmy?! The closest I can think of is Kevin White, but Jimmy being a pocket QB I think even has him beat...

For comparisons, I'm looking for guys who invariably pick up new injuries every year like Garoppolo, not those who had one career-ruining injury or kept reaggravating the same injury.
sheajets

Re: Jimmy G, most fragile QB ever?

Post by sheajets »

One guy I remember who was always always hurt seemingly was Chris Chandler. He was pretty good when he could get on the field. Never had a single season where he made more than 14 regular season starts
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Rex Glassman...I mean Rex Grossman has entered the chat
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sheajets wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:29 am One guy I remember who was always always hurt seemingly was Chris Chandler. He was pretty good when he could get on the field. Never had a single season where he made more than 14 regular season starts
Chris Chandelier is one of the all-time great nicknames...
for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... anCh00.htm
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Chad Pennington, Jim McMahon, but these guys could win like Jimmy G, when they stayed on the field ...
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Buck Pierce, who to be fair played through a ton of injuries, which made it to where he had both the missed games because he was frequently injured but also was seemingly always injured even when he was actually playing. Lot of CFL QBs like that in the 21st century, but he always stood out to me in that regard. Which I've had that thought of Jimmy G, that he follows the path of a CFL QB in terms of injuries.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Lynn Dickey.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

He should have been teamed with former WR Ron Sellers of Patriots-Cowboys fame. His nickname? Old "Jingle Joints"!!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Jake Locker was so injury prone with the Titans, he only lasted four seasons and who would have thought coming out of college that Vince Young would have played only six seasons? He might have been more mentally fragile but still had a decent 31-19 record as a starter, so maybe he just lost his desire to keep playing ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hail Casares wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:40 am Rex Glassman...I mean Rex Grossman has entered the chat
I remember Grossman sliding out of the pocket, tripping over his own feet, and breaking his wrist hitting the turf.

As great as he was, Bert Jones was injured quite a bit. A more obscure guy who I remember being perpetually injured was Gary Danielson. Even as a backup at Cleveland, he seemed to always be hurt. Daryle Lamonica had a special talent of getting hurt in the postseason.