National Fanbases

sheajets

National Fanbases

Post by sheajets »

For me I have to say the Cowboys-Steelers-Packers and still just making the cut Raiders are the only true national fanbases in the league. Where you'll find good amounts of them in every corner of this country. Raidernation has persisted through some rotten years. It's been diminished. But despite the tiny crowds in Oakland you still see a lot of them in every American bar on game-day

49ers were there at one time. But eventually totally fell off the map. From their 80's and 90's glory years I'd say by 2005 they had fallen into shocking obscurity.

Dolphins are an odd example. You still have whatevers is left of the 70's fans and the Marino bandwagon guys. This is dwindling though it seems. Plus they really haven't been able to even fill the building in Miami since the Orange Bowl. That's not a good pro sports city

Redskins also have never really gone national. They're mid-atlantic/south though their southern presence has been greatly diminished.

Ravens since moving to Baltimore have had a lot of competitive teams and a few championships. Still I've never met a Ravens fan anywhere but Baltimore

Denver has had good chunks of success in the 80's, 90's and of late and I see their fans everywhere. So maybe they're the next to go national
ChrisBabcock

Re: National Fanbases

Post by ChrisBabcock »

49ers were there at one time. But eventually totally fell off the map. From their 80's and 90's glory years I'd say by 2005 they had fallen into shocking obscurity.
I'd say the 49ers are there but a little more "under the radar". (maybe out of embarrasment? hah) I've got a 49ers license plate frame that I get complimented on more often than you'd expect here in western New York. One guy even goes to our church. I'm going to give him a book I don't really care for on the 90s Steve Young/Siefert teams.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I'd say the 49ers are there but a little more "under the radar". (maybe out of embarrasment? hah) I've got a 49ers license plate frame that I get complimented on more often than you'd expect here in western New York. One guy even goes to our church. I'm going to give him a book I don't really care for on the 90s Steve Young/Siefert teams.
I do remember hearing (not sure how accurate it is) that even when Young was at the helm (at first sporadically, and then permanently) and the 49ers not missing a beat in terms of regular season success...they never warmed up to Young because he was more chaotic, improvisational...less the precision orderly surgical Montana that they came to expect. And essentially the precision football that they demanded from all their players. Young was outstanding but they'd rather he do it in a less messy fashion
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Pre-merger, the Browns had quite a national following, based on their continued success and the fact that their games were syndicated to various affiliates across the country. Condoleeza Rice has spoken of watching the Browns in Alabama, and if you believe accounts concerning Gene Hickerson, Elvis was sent Browns game films to watch.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

BD Sullivan wrote:Pre-merger, the Browns had quite a national following, based on their continued success and the fact that their games were syndicated to various affiliates across the country. Condoleeza Rice has spoken of watching the Browns in Alabama, and if you believe accounts concerning Gene Hickerson, Elvis was sent Browns game films to watch.
interesting. Never even knew Elvis was a football fan
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I read in Mark Speck's WFL book that he was a regular at Memphis Southmen games.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I read in Mark Speck's WFL book that he was a regular at Memphis Southmen games.

Elvis Presley at the Memphis Southmen's football season opener on July 10, 1974.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In Mexico in the late 70s, everyone was a Cowboys or Steelers fan (all their games were broadcasted by the two main TV channels at that time). There were some Raiders, Dolphins and Rams fans. Since then, only the 49ers and Patriots have developed a smaller fan base south of the border, although (of the other teams) there are some Packers and Bears fans, mainly. The Cowboys and Steelers still dominate here.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sheajets wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:Pre-merger, the Browns had quite a national following, based on their continued success and the fact that their games were syndicated to various affiliates across the country. Condoleeza Rice has spoken of watching the Browns in Alabama, and if you believe accounts concerning Gene Hickerson, Elvis was sent Browns game films to watch.
When Elvis lived in Hollywood in the 60's, Elvis and his Memphis mafia buddies had a touch football team, and they used to play against teams comprised of young Hollywood actors such as Ricky Nelson and Peter Fonda. But Elvis liked to play touch football from way back in his Memphis days; there are lots of photos online of Elvis in his early 20's playing touch football with his buddies. Elvis would draw up his own plays; one of his hand-written plays was auctioned for a lot of money a number of years back.

I found a Facebook video from the Elvis archives where they show a number of his hand-written plays.

https://www.facebook.com/45484524486315 ... 924927025/
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Spring 1964:
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-06-21 at 10.40.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-06-21 at 10.40.22 AM.png (200.14 KiB) Viewed 17530 times