FInal 10 WRs leaked?

JameisLoseston

Re: FInal 10 WRs leaked?

Post by JameisLoseston »

conace21 wrote:While I appreciate them going back and picking guys who played before 1970, some selections truly baffle me, including Hirsch. Terrell Owens and Antonio Brown would have been better choices. If AB had kept his head on straight, and continued being dominant until his early 30's, I think he would have been in that tier behind Rice and Hutson.
Let's not pretend Brown is done. He may be, but only if he decides he is. Once his legal situation is settled which it ought to be by next preseason, he's too good for a team not to sign him. At that point the ball is in his court not to act like an idiot and let the team know he actually wants to be there.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:I don't have a good case for him either, I just never really questioned the "wisdom of crowds" view, although I agree on his PFR page, its mostly the one season that jumps out. I believe similar has been said about Warfield and the defense for him was pretty strong. Is there anyone who will defend Hirsch? Decade honors are good: http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... -team.html

I think he is one of the best, if not best of the 1950s---just not sure he's top 10 ever...I think it's based on the "he was the first true flanker" myth..and his monster 1951 season.
I made the comment in the upcoming 1951 Rams book that Hirsch's 1951 season was arguably the greatest receiving season of all time.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Is Hirsch the only player in NFL history to lead in receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs and yards per catch in the same season?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Andy Piascik wrote:Is Hirsch the only player in NFL history to lead in receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs and yards per catch in the same season?
No, Hutson also led in all four in 1936. I was curious about that myself and checked into that when I was compiling the 1951 Rams superlatives for the book and pointed out in the superlatives that Hutson was the only other player to lead in all four in the same season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Hirsch also had the longest catch--which was on of the "categories" in the record book then

a quintuple crown
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:Hirsch also had the longest catch--which was on of the "categories" in the record book then

a quintuple crown
Hirsch also led the league in Points Scored with 102, Yards from Scrimmage with 1,498 yards , and he also scored at least a touchdown in every game during the season except for the Week 11 game against the Lions. Expanding Hirsch’s 1951 stats to a 16-game season (the Rams played a 12-game schedule in 1951), his season works out to 99 catches for 1,993 yards, 22.7 yards per catch and 23 touchdown receptions.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Andy Piascik wrote:Is Hirsch the only player in NFL history to lead in receptions, receiving yards, receiving TDs and yards per catch in the same season?
No, Hutson also led in all four in 1936. I was curious about that myself and checked into that when I was compiling the 1951 Rams superlatives for the book and pointed out in the superlatives that Hutson was the only other player to lead in all four in the same season.
Johnny Blood probably did it in 1931 but, of course, stats for that year are incomplete and unofficial.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JameisLoseston wrote: Let's not pretend Brown is done. He may be, but only if he decides he is. Once his legal situation is settled which it ought to be by next preseason, he's too good for a team not to sign him. At that point the ball is in his court not to act like an idiot and let the team know he actually wants to be there.
Brown may have very little say in how his career proceeds from here on out. It's easy to forget him quitting on his team in Week 17 of 2018.
Regardless, even if his legal situation is settled by next preseason, it's very possible he could be suspended for 6 games. That's nearly a full season and a half missed at the tail end of his prime, and can definitely derail his path to the tier right under Hutson/Rice.