Seahawks trade WR Percy Harvin to the Jets

oldecapecod11

Seahawks trade WR Percy Harvin to the Jets

Post by oldecapecod11 »

How much will this hurt the "repeat?"

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/17/percy- ... d%3D547956
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Re: Seahawks trade WR Percy Harvin to the Jets

Post by Reaser »

Well he essentially wasn't even a part of the team last season until the Super Bowl. Which he had the KR and the two good runs, though Seattle was winning and going to win that game regardless of his contribution.

Great talent but I see this as almost a good thing, sure it's bad in the fact that they gave up so much for him and didn't get nearly as much in return, but good in that less is more. No Harvin means more Lynch and the winning formula of last season. They can go back to last seasons offense, be a running team, safe passing game with timely shots - Wilson is smart and throws a good deep ball. That, instead of what they've been this year which is using Harvin (both running and bubble screens) as the 'running' game. Which has gone nowhere (hence his 6 yards per reception) ... Entire offense seemingly was about forcing Harvin the ball and trying to make Wilson into an MVP candidate. The winning formula was/is Marshawn Lynch, play-action, don't turn the ball over, etc ...
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Funny that just a couple of days earlier, Carroll said they have to get the ball to Harvin more often. But coaches say things like that ;)
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by rhickok1109 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:19 am
"Funny that just a couple of days earlier, Carroll said they have to get the ball to Harvin more often. But coaches say things like that"

I thought I read that but I couldn't find where so did not mention it without being able to link it.
Perhaps Carroll was just trying to build up trade value. Reaser seems to confirm this with his "nearly as much in return."
Anyway... from the penthouse to the cellar is a big drop. Let's see how he handles it?
But then, think of Beau James: "Who wants to be president when he can be Mayor of New York?"
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

If Harvin does not miss a game this season, he will have played in 14.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Harvin gets two byes plus whatever you call this Jets long break between games.

That Jets wouldn't sign a receiver like Johnson before season, wouldn't resign Revis before season....not much poit in signing Harvin when 1-6

They set some sort of record for possession in game over 40 minutes (stat kept since 77), yards rushing over 200 yds., no turnovers, yet still lose. A not so fast Harvin would have made no difference. Jets are ridiculous
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I just read that he had a physical altercation with Golden Tate before the SB and came close to having one with Russell Wilson (how is that even possible?) this season. Sounds like the Seahawks did well to find someone to take him off their hands. What a waste of a great talent...he had several electrifying moments with the Vikings and a few more in his brief time with Seattle.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Jets only gave up a conditional 6th that can become a 4th

Hey he's not the first malcontent that has had success. What about Steve Smith. Brandon Marshall? It's a risk the Jets had to take. Low risk, high reward. Plus Harvin profiles as somebody who can step in and play a Tavon Austin at W. Virginia type role for Geno
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

sheajets wrote:Jets only gave up a conditional 6th that can become a 4th

Hey he's not the first malcontent that has had success. What about Steve Smith. Brandon Marshall? It's a risk the Jets had to take. Low risk, high reward. Plus Harvin profiles as somebody who can step in and play a Tavon Austin at W. Virginia type role for Geno
The condition must be based on Harvin's playing time rather than the team's performance, otherwise they just be saying it was for a sixth.

I suspect this makes it harder for Rex to keep his job. Easy to blame this season on the lack of talent, and point to his two AFC title games. Harvin makes the team better on paper, but not on the field. And next season, they'll all be gone - Harvin, Idzik, and Rex. But only two of them will really deserve it.