Kezar Stadium Photos

mark22photos

Kezar Stadium Photos

Post by mark22photos »

While on a photo assignment at Stanford University back in January, I took a short trip to see and photograph old Kezar Stadium...or what is still left from old Kezar Stadium. Below is a link to the photos.
https://www.mark22.com/PFRA/2018-Kezar- ... the-49ers/
ChrisBabcock

Re: Kezar Stadium Photos

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Nice! Great shots. Really cool to see a bit of 49ers history.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

It's nice they kept much of the lower level of the original stadium intact; those benches you were sitting in look like they haven't been replaced since the stadium was built.

I wasn't aware Kezar Stadium still existed at all; I thought like most replaced stadiums it was razed and there was a building or Walmart or park there now. I was recently watching the movie "Dirty Harry" and there was a key scene filmed on the field of an empty Kezar Stadium at night and I was thinking at the time it had to have been filmed shortly before the time the stadium was demolished, but I am now happy to find out that I was proven wrong.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The city of Buffalo did something similar with War Memorial Stadium after the minor league baseball Bisons left in the late 1980s. Partly demolished and partly repurposed as a far smaller sized (capacity) venue.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Wow.... that brings back memories... thanks, Mark.

I remember (and not fondly) the splinters from those benches.
Not to overshare but by the end of the game you'd rather be standing.

I threw one of the best blocks of my "career" on that field.
We were scrimmaging against a semi-pro team (the SF Sharks/Ambassadors, I don't know which they were at that time). I pulled from the center position and took out a lineman and linebacker with one block (they were too close together). A coach for the Sharks/Ambassadors congratulated me on that block.
Hey, when you play sandlot that's a career highlight...

Kezar is still there and still open to the public.
If you guys ever want to play in a 50+ (years old) game I have just the venue...
JWL

Post by JWL »

I took similar photos when I was there in 2007. Shortly before I went in some guy asked me if I wanted to buy some trees.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:It's nice they kept much of the lower level of the original stadium intact; those benches you were sitting in look like they haven't been replaced since the stadium was built.

I wasn't aware Kezar Stadium still existed at all; I thought like most replaced stadiums it was razed and there was a building or Walmart or park there now. I was recently watching the movie "Dirty Harry" and there was a key scene filmed on the field of an empty Kezar Stadium at night and I was thinking at the time it had to have been filmed shortly before the time the stadium was demolished, but I am now happy to find out that I was proven wrong.
"Go out and get some air, Fatso":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvNc24yQZA
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:It's nice they kept much of the lower level of the original stadium intact; those benches you were sitting in look like they haven't been replaced since the stadium was built.

"Go out and get some air, Fatso":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvNc24yQZA
:lol: :lol: :lol: and let me throw in another :lol: :lol: :lol: for my dearly departed Dad who loved that film and that quote.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

It had a bit of a Soldier Field feel to it regarding layout