1974: Dolphins vs Steelers

MatthewToy

1974: Dolphins vs Steelers

Post by MatthewToy »

Had Miami somehow knocked down that pass to Clarence Davis what would've happened the next week? I assume the game would be in the Orange Bowl but with the crazy home field rules back then who knows. John Madden said after the game that it was the real Super Bowl and the 2 best teams in the league just played each other which fired up the Steelers going into the AFC Championship Game. I really doubt Don Shula would've made a similar statement. Bradshaw was finally gaining confidence but wasn't quite there yet. The Steelers easily took care of Buffalo the week before and could've had more in the tank than Miami. This game is a toss up.
7DnBrnc53

Re: 1974: Dolphins vs Steelers

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

If the Steelers could take advantage of a banged-up Miami secondary with some big plays in the passing game, they had a good chance. Remember, Miami had a few guys that went out of the Sea of Hands game (Jake Scott and one of their CB's). However, the Steelers had to clean up some of the offensive mistakes. I think that there was a play in the AFC Title Game where Bradshaw ran to the left and bobbled the ball for a while or something. They couldn't afford that in the OB.
IvanNYC

Post by IvanNYC »

MatthewToy wrote:Had Miami somehow knocked down that pass to Clarence Davis what would've happened the next week? I assume the game would be in the Orange Bowl but with the crazy home field rules back then who knows....
Had the Dolphins met the Steelers in the 1974 AFC Championship Game, it would have been played in Pittsburgh.
@Ivan_Urena1
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

IvanNYC wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:Had Miami somehow knocked down that pass to Clarence Davis what would've happened the next week? I assume the game would be in the Orange Bowl but with the crazy home field rules back then who knows....
Had the Dolphins met the Steelers in the 1974 AFC Championship Game, it would have been played in Pittsburgh.
FWIW, weather would not have been an issue, with temps in the low 40's (and no rain). Two years earlier, their game in the Burgh was in the mid 60's--for a game played on New Years Eve.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

A 'crossroads' game it would have been, a toss-up no matter where it would have been played. One team being championship-caliber for the final year (they were even better the year before) and the other team being championship-caliber for the first year (would be even better the following year). Sure enough Shula doesn't give Steelers any "real Super Bowl" bulletin-board material to fire them up with. Wouldn't surprise me if Dolphins were better/would have won. Could the previous year's late-season MNF contest at the Orange Bowl serve as possible indicator (Steelers rallying from a 30-3 halftime deficit to a 30-26 final score)?

Without starting another thread, what do you all think of '73 Dolphins VS '75 Steelers?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Sure enough Shula doesn't give Steelers any "real Super Bowl" bulletin-board material to fire them up with. [/i]Steelers?
Though before the Raiders game, Csonka was specifically quoted as saying, "The Super Bowl will be that game in Oakland." :o
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

BD Sullivan wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Sure enough Shula doesn't give Steelers any "real Super Bowl" bulletin-board material to fire them up with. [/i]Steelers?
Though before the Raiders game, Csonka was specifically quoted as saying, "The Super Bowl will be that game in Oakland." :o
Hmm, never heard that before.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

MatthewToy wrote:Had Miami somehow knocked down that pass to Clarence Davis what would've happened the next week? I assume the game would be in the Orange Bowl but with the crazy home field rules back then who knows. John Madden said after the game that it was the real Super Bowl and the 2 best teams in the league just played each other which fired up the Steelers going into the AFC Championship Game. I really doubt Don Shula would've made a similar statement. Bradshaw was finally gaining confidence but wasn't quite there yet. The Steelers easily took care of Buffalo the week before and could've had more in the tank than Miami. This game is a toss up.
I saw both those teams during that era, and even if the Dolphins hosted, I see the 1974 Steelers as solid favorites. The '74 Dolphins weren't quite as good as the 1972-73 versions, while the '74 Steelers were much improved from the 1972-73 clubs. It's the classic case of an ascending team versus a descending one, and Bradshaw's improvement was one of the reasons Pittsburgh would have handled Miami. We should also remember the great 72-73 Dolphin teams barely held off the Steelers in the two games they played. The addition of four future hall of famers in the 1974 draft really augmented the Steelers, with Lambert, Stallworth & Swann having immediate impact.

Breaking down this hypothetical matchup, I don't think Miami has enough firepower to score more than 14 points. Lambert was a big upgrade over Henry Davis in the middle, and the Raiders vaunted offensive line had no answers in the real life 1974 AFC title game. The Steelers had already shutdown O.J. Simpson the week before in the playoffs. With their running game nullified, Miami just doesn't have the receiving options to move the ball consistently. Moving over to the Miami defense versus the Steelers offense, the Dolphins have problems schematically matching up with Pittsburgh's balanced attack. Unlike Cliff Branch(who toasted Miami in '74 along with #25), Swann and Stallworth were impact players in their rookie years. The Dolphins simply don't have the athletes in their secondary to handle two HOF-bound receivers who could run after the catch. Dick Anderson and Jake Scott were terrific safeties, but like the Cowboys safeties of the 70s, would have done plenty of chasing, trying to track down these players. If Miami's secondary was too concerned about the deep pass, then Swann and Stallworth would have had a field day in the shorter zones.

24-10 seems about right for the final score. And as much respect I have for the 1972-73 Dolphins, the 1975 or 1978 Steelers were just too tough. Even Bobby Beathard, who was in Miami's front office during that era, favored the '78 Steelers over the '72 Dolphins in a mythical matchup.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:
MatthewToy wrote: 24-10 seems about right for the final score. And as much respect I have for the 1972-73 Dolphins, the 1975 or 1978 Steelers were just too tough. Even Bobby Beathard, who was in Miami's front office during that era, favored the '78 Steelers over the '72 Dolphins in a mythical matchup.
As has been posted a number of times, the 72 Dolphins' schedule was weak. In the playoffs, they struggled against Cleveland and were in a battle with Pittsburgh when Seiple's fake punt changed the game.