21st Century SB Champs who'd do well (WIN) vs some 20th Century SB Champs?

74_75_78_79_

21st Century SB Champs who'd do well (WIN) vs some 20th Century SB Champs?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Legion of Boom, to me, is the best one-year team this Century! And I've opined before that if, "Great Scott!", Doc could place a Flux Capacitor into a plane, or simply a bus, that they could travel back, play previous World Champs, and come back celebrating some of them games!

If you agree to this, who do you think, pre-2000, that they actually beat? Or, if you think some other team is best so far this Century, or if you still think '13 is best but...other current since-'00 Champs could wing it too - then who are they, and who do they defeat?

I really do like that '70 Colts team! I think they deserve it, should be proud of their Ring (glad they, at least, got that considering ones they previously left on the table - and I really love my '05 Steelers...it's like an ugly dog or cat you take off the street and take it in and love it anyway), but - after winning quite a few along the way and then, landing in (invading), Miami in Jan '71 - I think Seattle beats those Colts as well.

Now do they DARE go further, into the '60s, to try to win some more? Or do they quit (while they're "ahead") saying they won quite a few already and got nothing more to prove? I think they may just win, at least, a little more if they care to proceed, that is.

What do you all think?

Perhaps Belichick/Brady? Or even some Mahomes' installments to bring along? At least 2023, or perhaps '22 will have some defense/gritiness to offer as well!

Or, maybe, another team?? Tell me.

No, don't send my '05 Steelers. Like them just where they are, as World Champs simply within their one year.
SeahawkFever

Re: 21st Century SB Champs who'd do well (WIN) vs some 20th Century SB Champs?

Post by SeahawkFever »

From a Seahawks fan, I think it’d be interesting to see how that defense, and in particular secondary could have performed if they played under the rules of the first 12 seasons of the Super Bowl era.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Legion Of Boom would be a good subject for a Coffins Corner article. Soooo close to a repeat championship, though giving up 4 TDs to Brady and NE has to eat at their hearts and minds.
Still ...

2011 #7 in scoring defense
2012 #1
2013 #1
2014 #1
2015 #1
2016 #3

The SB and playoff losses --31-24 loss in 2015/16, 36-20 in 2016/17, didn't go in 2017, take some of the luster off their achievements.

Wagner will go first ballot and Sherman and Thomas should be elected at some point as well. Chancellor will be HOVG down the road. Bennett had a good career as well.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:28 pm The Legion Of Boom would be a good subject for a Coffins Corner article. Soooo close to a repeat championship, though giving up 4 TDs to Brady and NE has to eat at their hearts and minds.
Still ...

2011 #7 in scoring defense
2012 #1
2013 #1
2014 #1
2015 #1
2016 #3

The SB and playoff losses --31-24 loss in 2015/16, 36-20 in 2016/17, didn't go in 2017, take some of the luster off their achievements.

Wagner will go first ballot and Sherman and Thomas should be elected at some point as well. Chancellor will be HOVG down the road. Bennett had a good career as well.
This is all pretty fair. Seahawks were a pretty darn good team for several years who happened to win it all once.

As for the Hall of Fame and Hall of Very Good, I could see Sherman, Wagner, and Thomas all being good enough for Hall of Fame and Kam Chancellor being Hall of Very Good.

On the other side of the ball, I would argue Russell Wilson is Hall of Very Good, and Marshawn Lynch could go either way.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Wilson and Lynch will make the Hall but may wait awhile.
If Wilson struggles in Pittsburgh, his starting career could be over.
I feel he will take them to the Super Bowl. You heard it here first ... haha ...
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Asking this question has really made me think about the relative weakness of Super Bowl champions since 2000. We had a whole bunch of wild card champions, and not all that many #1 seeds winning it all. The best two teams of the 21st century, in my opinion, were the 2007 Patriots and 2011 Packers, and neither won it all. I agree that the 2013 Seahawks are probably one of the best you could put up against teams from the past. I was going to say the 2000 Ravens (depending on what you consider the 21st century, a debate for another day, and they did win the Super Bowl in the calendar year 2001), but they were only a wild card. As a writer on great football teams once said, the regular season's got to count for something. But if you count wild cards, I'd say the 2000-01 Ravens would match up best against most 20th century teams, in particular the teams of the early seventies.