Joe Thomas with 49ers

Halas Hall

Joe Thomas with 49ers

Post by Halas Hall »

I greatly enjoyed the PFRA podcast with Ernie Accorsi and agree with him that Joe Thomas was the best at scouting. After successful runs in Minnesota, Miami, and Baltimore, any insights why he could not get traction in San Francisco in the late 1970's?

Thank you.
JohnTurney

Re: Joe Thomas with 49ers

Post by JohnTurney »

He was gone so fast --- and he not make a lot of picks --- and how much he actually scouted
Bunz and McAfee

But the other actioned doomed him ... all sorts of blunders and fighting with people, firing coaches
unloading a few guys ... that seemed like good players

So, not sure of the question, all I know is he was known ahs having a huge ego at that point and
his decisions backfired and the owner dumped him.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Ego trip for Thomas ... especially after brokering for a tough job and fickle fans who wanted a winner as the economy was getting worse. He couldn't have known the owner would be as hands on as he was* ... Baltimore could have been a champion had Oak and Pitts killed each other off in a divisional game and things could have swung their way ...

*Edited ... was meaning during late stages of Colts. Thomas was a disaster in SF, whose fans were proud of their team history. New HC McDonald in Seattle is trying to somewhat, downplay the Carroll era ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

A few thoughts on Thomas with the 49ers:

*After the way Thomas alienated everyone in Baltimore, most people thought his days as an NFL GM were over. It was thought that Eddie DeBartolo was the only owner to have interest in Thomas, because Eddie was new to the league and somewhat ignorant.

*Thomas had an uphill struggle because the Niners traded 2 first round picks in 1976 and first and second round picks in 1977 to acquire Jim Plunkett (who was released after the 1977 season). The Niners/Thomas also traded 2nd and 3rd round picks in 78, 1st round in 79, and 2nd and 4th picks in 80 for OJ Simpson. I've read that DeBartolo forced Thomas to trade for OJ, because Eddie liked OJ and thought that would increase ticket sales. But as John pointed out, the picks that Thomas did make weren't all that inspiring.

*The Niners were actually on the upswing, going 8-6 with Monte Clark. Clark was let go when he refused to have the GM title removed from his contract. No head coach wanted to work for Thomas...Ken Meyer, Pete McCulley, Fred O'Connor. If you count Clark, then that's 4 HCs in 2 seasons.

I think there are a lot of similarities between Thomas and Jerry Krause. Huge egos, insecure, unlikable, taking credit for everything. After Krause dismantled the Jordan teams, no one wanted to coach for him. When Krause resigned from the Bulls in 2003, there was zero interest from other NBA teams in hiring Krause. A guy who won 6 titles couldn't find employment. I think that says a lot. Same thing with Joe Thomas.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I heard that the Falcons were also looking at Thomas, but he went to SF because he was friends with Eddie D.

He probably doesn't do much better in Atlanta. They probably fire him, and maybe they hire Eddie Lebaron a few years later (and maybe Dan Reeves takes the HC job and doesn't go to Denver).
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

I think I remember reading somewhere that Thomas destroyed all of the 49ers team memorabilia. Am I remembering correctly? If so, sad story bordering on tragic.