Top, and Worst, Ten teams of the 14-game era, '61-thru-'77?

SeahawkFever

Re: Top, and Worst, Ten teams of the 14-game era, '61-thru-'77?

Post by SeahawkFever »

Jay Z wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm 1973 Rams were not that good IMO for being 12-2.

Only played 2 playoff teams. Lost to Vikings and beat Cowboys. Split with the 9-5 Falcons. Avoided all of the good AFC teams.

Except for McCutcheon, every starter started all 14 games. So no adversity there. Didn't pass all that much. Apparently Hadl hurt his arm halfway through and the passing really fell off, not that they passed all that much anyway. Some questionable talent in the back 7 on defense. Tended to run it up against some weak competition. Knox improved things, but 12-2 was an overstatement.
This might be a weird way of looking at it, but in my book the 1973 Rams should be considered a pretty good team.

They certainly had an easy schedule; the easiest that season in fact. But as you said they went 12-2, they put up some of the best team differential stats that season, and they also set a then record for best first down differential up to the time (+121; and they got the most and allowed the fewest in the regular season), so I'd imagine they controlled the ball well.

For me, the 1973 Rams in the same tier as say the 1987 49ers, 2011 Packers, and 2019 Ravens. All teams that unfortunately went one and done in the playoffs, but played very good regular seasons beforehand. Those are above average teams overall in my opinion, and if they had hypothetically won a Super Bowl title after the regular seasons they had, it would've been interesting to see where we would rank them amongst the actual champions.

Out of curiosity, why does a lack of adversity make a team worse? (Which seems to be implied correct me if I'm wrong) If you ask me, all that means is that we can't say injuries hurt them significantly, but still.

The Rams in the 70's on a side note, win the award for the most fascinating team that I had not heard of until I started looking up NFL history. They won 66 games in the regular season from 1973-1978; the most of anyone (easy division no doubt, but you don't become the winningest without taking some games against other teams).

The Rams may have won a title or two with a prime Hall of Fame quarterback instead of who they had (Hadl who you mentioned may not have thrown a lot, but he might've played the best season any of their quarterbacks did in the 70's; at least by passer rating).

At least that's what I'd argue. What do you think?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Dolphins won back-to-back championships in 1973, only the 75 Steelers were better. The 62 Packers were third for me ...

It's a toss-up on the 66 Giants and 76 Bucs ... a goose egg is the worst.
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

The Eagles in 1972, lost their first five games before defeating the Chiefs 21 to 20. A few weeks later came game an 18 to 17 win at Houston. Both of these wins were on the road. In both games, Philadelphia held off last minute rallies. They led the Chiefs 21 to 0 and the Oilers 15 to 3. Their best home effort was a 6 to 6 draw with the St Louis Cardinals, the Redskins shut them out 14 to 0, and they scored just 12 touchdowns all season. In addition to the shut out, they did not score a touchdown in five other games.
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

I think the Eagles from 1962 to 1977 might have been the worst. During that 16b year stretch, the Eagles had one winning season, one 500 season, and 14 losing seasons. Even with the winning season, 1966, there were three blowouts, 41 to 10 vs St. Louis, 56 to 7 vs Dallas, and 27 to 7 vs Cleveland. In the 500 season, 1974, there were some limp performances: 13 to 3 and 7 to 3 vs St Louis, 27 to 0 vs Pittsburgh, and 27 to 7 vs Washington.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Those Philly years from 62 - 77, the Eagles gave up on players like Jurgensen, McDonald, Matson(career ending), Baughan, Scarpati, Cross, Poage, Jackson, Young, Rossovitch, and Zabel, that could have helped the team win more games but youth and inexperience ruled out ...
PA Wingman

Post by PA Wingman »

The Eagles also traded Hall of Famer Bob Brown as well during that period.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm Apparently Hadl hurt his arm halfway through and the passing really fell off,
* True, he hurt his back ... and it affected his throwing
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JohnTurney wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:52 am
Jay Z wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm Apparently Hadl hurt his arm halfway through and the passing really fell off,
I read that John Hadl and some other Rams were pushing a car when Hadl hurt his back causing his performance to fall off considerably the second half of the 1973 season.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

SixtiesFan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:28 am
JohnTurney wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:52 am
I read that John Hadl and some other Rams were pushing a car when Hadl hurt his back causing his performance to fall off considerably the second half of the 1973 season.
Never heard that. Was that during the oil crisis when gas was being rationed? Seriously. Seeing a car being pushed into a gas station because it'd run out of gas was a pretty common sight back in the fall of '73. If you were pushing one of those big ol' chrome Detroit buggies (and oh how I miss those Monte Carlos, Impalas, etc.) your back would definitely feel it (speaking from experience).