NFL MVP's who didn't deserve to win

CSKreager

NFL MVP's who didn't deserve to win

Post by CSKreager »

This is a bit of a controversial choice, but..... 1992 Steve Young

1994 no question he earned it, but 1992..... I'd have given it to Barry Foster.

Foster did more with less carrying Cowher's first PIT team given how much of an offensive burden he carried.

Steve Young had a great supporting cast, far better than PIT. Foster carried the Steelers on his back, Young basically just fell into a great position where he didn't have to do as much as 2 years later (94 he had more pressure).

Was Young that far and away better than everyone ala 1994? IDK
JohnTurney

Fouts should have gotten it over Mosely

Post by JohnTurney »

and he did in the PFWA and NEA polls, so I give him credit for being consensus MVP anyway.
NWebster

Re: NFL MVP's who didn't deserve to win

Post by NWebster »

Mark Mosley is the obvious one right, not sure what the AP voters saw.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

The problem with these awards is there are no guidelines that the voters are asked to follow. It's so hard to argue whether they got it right or wrong when you don't know what "most valuable" actually meant to the voters. Some people will focus on objective measurements, others will focus on subjective ideas, and others will weigh the two together. And remember, they were voting within the context of the moment and of the season, which is lost on us when we are so far removed. And even the most objective person can get swallowed up by the hype or feel the urge to follow the crowd.

It does make good fodder for arguments, though.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

CSKreager wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:31 am This is a bit of a controversial choice, but..... 1992 Steve Young

Foster did more with less carrying Cowher's first PIT team given how much of an offensive burden he carried.

Steve Young had a great supporting cast, far better than PIT. Foster carried the Steelers on his back, Young basically just fell into a great position where he didn't have to do as much as 2 years later (94 he had more pressure).

From a Steeler-fan, I respectfully opine that between Foster and Emmitt, the latter gets the nod. Not just more yards at 1,713 to 1,690, but more per-carry at 4.6 to 4.3; and not to mention, #22 also scoring more TDs at 18 to Foster's 11. Yes, Big D was the significantly better team than Pittsburgh, but it's not as if this was the '89 version of the 'Burgh. Both teams were stacked with talent with each earning 1st-round byes albeit Steelers, again, being significantly weaker, but a top-seeder the Steelers were. And with the same amount of Pro Bowlers, at six, as Dallas - and also the same amount of OL, at two-apiece, invited to Hawaii as well.

Foster, Young, and Emmitt were very solid candidates in '92. A respectable argument can be made for each. But Emmitt leading his team to a Lombardi Trophy, to me, has he winning the MVP IMO with Young getting the nod between he and Foster due to leading his team to a CCG and not one-and-done. This all being an example as to why I feel, as in ALL sports (Karl instead of Jordan in '97 best example), that a season MVP award should not be given until the entire season, championship game/round, concludes. Now in some cases, a player will be so far ahead that a championship game/round or even a post-season at all may not be necessary. But in more or most cases, like this one, is the key example as to why voting should wait until the very end; letting the post-season decide a 'tie-breaker'.

Without digging through other candidates, I can't see anyone else besides Young in 1994. Now if he still doesn't get his team past Big D in the NFCCG...
NWebster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:49 am Mark Mosley is the obvious one right, not sure what the AP voters saw.
JohnTurney wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:06 am and he (DAN FOUTS) did (get selected) in the PFWA and NEA polls, so I give him credit for being consensus MVP anyway.
I've already opined what the 'explanation'/'rationale' was in Mark actually winning it in that obviously 'strange' season. Still, I feel that a non-kicker should have won it as well despite the just-nine-games thus the less-'sexy' (e.g. no 1,000 yard rusher) stats that each solid candidate garnered. Fouts, of course, a 'Grade A' choice. This probably is who I should choose. But, as I've also said before, I opine instead that it should have been Marcus Allen with his 697 rushing yard (4.4 Y/A), 11TD/400 receiving yard, 3TD all-purpose performance!
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

CSKreager wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:31 am This is a bit of a controversial choice, but..... 1992 Steve Young

Agree with everything you said. Foster had a great season, and they don't go anywhere near 11-5 without his contribution.

Another one is 2007. Tom Brady threw for 50 TD's, but half of them were to Randy Moss. He never threw for more than 28 before Moss got there. In 2006, his QBR was 68.6, and he had an 87.9 rating. With Moss, he had a 117.2 rating and an 87 QBR.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good discussion on 1992. I felt Sharpe in GB carried his team as much as Foster in Pitts. Smith and Young had great seasons as well but when a QB leads a team to 14 wins, he will usually get more attention ...

Foster had that great season but after two more injury plagued seasons, was out of football. Did he simply lose his desire to play or just couldn't rehabilitate from the injuries?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:49 pm Good discussion on 1992. I felt Sharpe in GB carried his team as much as Foster in Pitts. Smith and Young had great seasons as well but when a QB leads a team to 14 wins, he will usually get more attention ...

Foster had that great season but after two more injury plagued seasons, was out of football. Did he simply lose his desire to play or just couldn't rehabilitate from the injuries?
Shame on me for, at least, not mentioning Sterling! No, the Pack did not make the playoffs, but his performance just simply had the mettle to it! Yes, Favre now onboard at his assistance, but this was Brett's first rodeo - and you just can't help to feel that Sharpe acclimated #8 from apparent unknown Atlanta fratboy to practically-immediate future HOF-er! It wasn't until Sterling left that Favre's game escalated, having to learn how to get it done without him which he quickly DID learn!

It's not me trying to be a "fair" Steeler-fan. I definitely, in real-time, wanted so bad for Bananas to beat Emmitt in that race as well as Steelers, in Cowher's first year, to already get to the Super Bowl and win - especially against Dallas! But, looking back, #22 was the MVP with me. And, despite the - again - Packers not making the playoffs, I also can't help but to see Sterling as more an MVP than Foster as well if, however, not by too much. After all, wasn't he a BIG reason for their very win (at Woodson's expense) vs my 'Burgh?

But placing Sharpe over 14-2 NFCCG Young or World Champ #22? Hmm, may be a stretch. But Sterling, to me, should have been in the HOF a long time ago despite his short career. Had he been able to play a full career, sure-enough a First Ballot!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

What's ur take on Bananas', 74_75_78_79?

Lost his desire? Not the same after injuries, or simply one of the first 90s players to check out after a big payday? Many free agents would follow the same example ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good argument for Moss in 2007 but Jerry Rice in 1987 has an even better argument, with 22 TDs in only 65 catches, and 12 games. He added another TD rushing ...