1997 Raiders Defense

CSKreager

1997 Raiders Defense

Post by CSKreager »

The 97 Raiders had a famously awful defense that ranked dead last against the pass and the run, and was 3rd worst in points allowed.

In 1996, they were 8th in yards/points allowed. In 1998, they allowed the 5th fewest yards.

But in between........ they wasted a good offense when Jeff George had his career year (29 TD, 9 INT, last NFL QB to lead the league in passing yards with fewer than 4000), Tim Brown was 1st in catches/2nd in yards.

it went oh so wrong despite the 97 team having basically the same defensive roster AND coordinator that was decent statistically in 1996

What the heck happened?
Brian wolf

Re: 1997 Raiders Defense

Post by Brian wolf »

Good question? It's rare for a QB to have a 3-1 TDs-to-interceptions ratio and win only 4 games, but we are also talking about Jeff George, who wasn't known for inspiring or setting an example for his teammates, which in my opinion is what a QB is paid to do. Great stats or not, he was also sacked 58 times in 1997, which doesn't make his line look good either.

Kaufman had a good year as well, but the Raiders didn't have anyone else to run the ball. Neil O' Donnell sort of went through the same thing with the 1998 Bengals, throwing well but only winning three games.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I remember being at a Raiders/Jets game where Cole Ford went 1/5 and absolutely cost them a win. It was one of those rare games where the Jets opponent followed the script usually reserved for the Jets

At 3-4 they had a season to play for but then the bottom just seemed to fall out and looks like the team packed it in. 6 of their last 8 losses were convincing defeats.

Their first 3 losses were gut wrenching. 2 by 1 point, one in OT. Against the Seahawks week nine, they led by 9 late in the 3rd only to get steamrolled and lose by double digits. They go from a possible 4-4 to 3-5, and it seemed like it broke their spirits

They also had one of the worst offensive lines in football. Yes George could be a statue but he got sacked 58 times that season, which was more than any QB had in something like 5-6 years (and hit very frequently). I'm impressed George made every start and took all but 8 snaps that season

Their secondary was an old folks home as well which other teams took advantage of. Both Lionel Washington and Albert Lewis were 37. Lorenzo Lynch and Eddie Anderson were 34. Terry McDaniel was 32, banged up, and rapidly declining. Versatile vet Dan Land was 32 and on his last legs. Honestly I can't remember the last time I saw a secondary with some many guys 32 and over
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

sheajets wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:31 pm I remember being at a Raiders/Jets game where Cole Ford went 1/5 and absolutely cost them a win. It was one of those rare games where the Jets opponent followed the script usually reserved for the Jets
Raiders had 0 turnovers and even had fewer penalties than the Jets! Normally a 90s Raider loss was turnovers/penalties, and that's even with outgaining NY
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

CSKreager wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:50 pm
sheajets wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:31 pm I remember being at a Raiders/Jets game where Cole Ford went 1/5 and absolutely cost them a win. It was one of those rare games where the Jets opponent followed the script usually reserved for the Jets
Raiders had 0 turnovers and even had fewer penalties than the Jets! Normally a 90s Raider loss was turnovers/penalties, and that's even with outgaining NY
George looked like the guys Indianapolis thought they were getting in 1990 that game. He played tremendous (and the Jets had an effective pass rush all day)