1993 Steelers

CSKreager

1993 Steelers

Post by CSKreager »

In Bill Cowher’s first 6 seasons as PIT coach, the Steelers won the AFC Central division every year but one

Sandwiched around a year one #1 seed and B2B AFC Championship Games (plus a SB appearance) was this odd 9-7 year in 1993, the closest they came to missing the playoffs.

They sign Kevin Greene (one of the first splash free agent signings) but start 0-2 including a shutout loss in Anaheim to the Rams!

Then PIT wins 4 straight, the last one a beatdown of 5-0 New Orleans

Then their season became a roller coaster:

Lose the Eric Metcalf game in Cleveland thanks to not-so-special teams

Fall behind 16-0 at then-winless Cincinnati before running off 24 unanswered points

A complete and utter whitewashing of Buffalo on Monday Night Football (23-0, 44:51 TOP)

Get outscored 60-16 at Houston and Denver

Need a 4th down stop at the 1 against 1-win New England when the Patriots trailed by 3 and went for the win rather than OT

Jump all over 9-3 Miami 21-6 but need a late INT to win

Get blasted by Houston and Seattle, the latter saw the Seahawks run for 267 yards!

In week 18, they barely hold off Cleveland who had 2 chances to tie. But simultaneous Jets/Dolphins late collapses meant PIT made the playoffs (The Steelers had all important tiebreaker on Miami with the MNF win at Miami).

The Raiders/Broncos week 18 game would decided PIT’ WC fate: if LA does not score on the last play of regulation, the Steelers rematch in Denver (where they had lost 37-13)

Instead they go to Arrowhead and shockingly go toe to toe with KC, outplaying them for the most part save for a Dave Krieg TD and blocked punt that set up the tying TD late in regulation.

74_75_78_79 what do you make of THIS Pittsburgh 11 version?
74_75_78_79_

Re: 1993 Steelers

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Fine summary of that campaign, CSK, almost making a response unnecessary. But I'll passionately and nostalgically take the bait...

I forgot exactly what my expectations were going into '93, but a "sophomore jinx'" letdown was understandable to be expected by many. Despite '89 and and another winning season in '90 (#1 defense), the Steelers in town were SO overshadowed by the Penguins and Pirates! Then '91 happens, Noll retires, and local fandom had to have re-deflated some. Cowher hops onboard and immediately turns things around! No, not a 9-7 miracle playoff-berth, but their first top-seed finish since 1978! But it was done by backing into that very 11-5 finish in a not-so-dominant conference. I remember, going into those playoffs, many around me saying, "Steelers are done". And then the 24-3, indeed, one-and-done to Buffalo which had to make the campaign seem a bit paper-tiger-like.

Losing the '93 opener, at home, convincing-enough to San Fran and then getting shutout, 27-0, in LA to the final (albeit losing) version of 'Ground Chuck' led by future-Steeler, Bettis, could not have been seen by many as too big a shock. But despite "roller-coaster" (as you said, CSK) inconsistency from there, they showed signs that the Cowher Era would not be a 1992 one-year-wonder after all!

Annihilating Falcons in Atl on MNF (reminding you how great it was that Kevin Greene was acquired), bombing the 5-0 Saints though it wasn't known yet, at the time, that they were now in decline, the 'Jewel' of it all beat-down of Buffalo (making SO MUCH an NFC power out of themselves), stopping a Marino-comeback in its tracks at Miami and - again- on MNF, and finally giving Joe Cool & Co all they could possibly handle at Arrowhead, made me optimistic looking forward. Neil O'Donnell, I believe, said afterwards that the following year would be "their year" and I believed. When they lost at Seattle late, I didn't even want them to make the playoffs at that point. But making it the following week in the finale, and then bringing-it into OT that very 1st Rd affair made me get over it quick!

Getting blasted at Denver, I guess, understandable. Sunday let-downs on the road (especially at...Mile High) after big MNF wins, but that loss still bothered me much. And then at Houston the following week along with losing to them again weeks later...Buddy Ryan seemingly making a difference considering that Houston got swept by the 'Burgh the previous year! And then Buddy, as Cards' HC, beats Cowher again in '94 (also beat Noll in '88 - and '68)!

But WHAT A YEAR Rod Woodson had! He won DPOY! Eight INTs, but 7 of them compacted within Steelers' first six games! The remaining INT was the one off Dan. Bruce Smith, I believe, complained about Rod getting DPOY over him. But those 8 INTs did not at all tell the whole tale. This blog from a few years back, that I'm sure most of you have read, is quite a comprehensive account...

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... -ages.html

Sure-enough his '93 performance catapulted him into the following year's 75th Year Anniversary Team despite he only having played 7 seasons thus far!

PS - I forgot until now that Merril Hoge and Dwight Stone were still onboard in '93, with Tim Worley also still on early until the October trade to Chi-town!
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Cowher hops onboard and immediately turns things around! No, not a 9-7 miracle playoff-berth, but their first top-seed finish since 1978! But it was done by backing into that very 11-5 finish in a not-so-dominant conference. I remember, going into those playoffs, many around me saying, "Steelers are done". And then the 24-3, indeed, one-and-done to Buffalo which had to make the campaign seem a bit paper-tiger-like.
In my opinion, the 1992 season was buoyed by the Week 1 fake punt against the Oilers in the Astrodome. Down 14-0 late in the first quarter, Royals throws the ball to Warren Williams, who runs it all the way to the 1 yard line. The Steelers cut the lead in half, and go on to win that game 29-24. That was a big win that put them on a course to have the season that they had.

If that play doesn't work, and the team misses the playoffs that year (and in 93, which almost happened), is Cowher's seat somewhat hot (I know that the Rooney's don't like to fire coaches, but still)?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:08 pm
Cowher hops onboard and immediately turns things around! No, not a 9-7 miracle playoff-berth, but their first top-seed finish since 1978! But it was done by backing into that very 11-5 finish in a not-so-dominant conference. I remember, going into those playoffs, many around me saying, "Steelers are done". And then the 24-3, indeed, one-and-done to Buffalo which had to make the campaign seem a bit paper-tiger-like.
In my opinion, the 1992 season was buoyed by the Week 1 fake punt against the Oilers in the Astrodome. Down 14-0 late in the first quarter, Royals throws the ball to Warren Williams, who runs it all the way to the 1 yard line. The Steelers cut the lead in half, and go on to win that game 29-24. That was a big win that put them on a course to have the season that they had.

If that play doesn't work, and the team misses the playoffs that year (and in 93, which almost happened), is Cowher's seat somewhat hot (I know that the Rooney's don't like to fire coaches, but still)?
Good, interesting point, but Steelers DID pull it out! And though I'd never see Cowher as NEAR the HC Noll was, new-blood was needed in the system at that immediate time and that win, and the chances that were taken, against a heavy-home-favorite, exemplifies that. Despite bumps ahead, the aforementioned '93 ones in particular, that's the game that really should have told you that hiring Cowher was the right choice.

As I mentioned recently, I was at the Saints/Eagles opener at the Vet. I cheered the Birds on, glad they won, I liked them, but I lost my voice at the end of the game when I looked up at the rafters and saw that final 29-24 score (my friends with me laughed). I couldn't WAIT to get home that night, watch NFL Primetime, and see how it was done! Hmm, think I'll do that (again) NOW!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A tough team that carried over from Noll, yet O'Donnell was still growing into the starting job. Looking back, that woeful playoff game he had against Buffalo in the 1992/93 playoffs may have been an omen for future postseason futility.

He played better against KC but let Montana and the offense hang around before Joe hit one of the NFL's greatest clutch TD throws on 4th down.
People might disagree because the redzone was shorter but Montana threaded the needle against a secondary with Lake, Woodson, Johnson and Perry.

Maybe Cowher made a mistake in not letting Brister get more starts as the QB in 92' and wanting him to compete for the job in 93', instead of him backing up Randall Cunningham in Philly. Could Brister had done better from 92 - 95 as starter under Cowher?

O'Donnell wins the job, and Brister faces the same question later on losing the starting job in Denver to rookie Brian Griese. Who knows, if Brister starts, after having success backing Elway, maybe Terrell Davis stays healthy, never having to chase a Griese fumble that gets his knee injured?

Griese wins the job, and plays well his second season but never gets the Broncos to meet expectations, where Brister has to wonder if he could have done better for the team and Shanahan.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Maybe Cowher made a mistake in not letting Brister get more starts as the QB in 92' and wanting him to compete for the job in 93', instead of him backing up Randall Cunningham in Philly. Could Brister had done better from 92 - 95 as starter under Cowher?
I was watching an NFL Films Presents feature on Bubster. One part dealt with the hiring of Cowher, and how he said that he wanted a conservative QB when he started in 92. If I remember right, Hoge looked at Brister and basically told him he was in trouble or something like that.

However, there are Steeler fans who have said online that Brister should have started against Buffalo. Maybe he should have. Then, if it doesn't work, pull him at the half for O'Donnell Bob Griese style (in the 72 AFC Title Game when he came in for Morrall).