PIT QB signings

racepug

PIT QB signings

Post by racepug »

R.W. and Justin Fields. How do Steelers fans feel about that? (personally, I think the Steelers made a killing with those signings. On that basis, alone, I expect the 'Stillers' to be much improved in 2024)
74_75_78_79_

Re: PIT QB signings

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

racepug wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:33 pm R.W. and Justin Fields. How do Steelers fans feel about that? (personally, I think the Steelers made a killing with those signings. On that basis, alone, I expect the 'Stillers' to be much improved in 2024)
All FOR it! I know Pickett was injured a bit in his brief time in the 'Burgh; and not under the greatest offensive-coordination either. But by this season's end if not earlier, I just couldn't help but to not mind Steelers and he going separate ways. I just developed a hunch that it wouldn't be a bad thing.

With the acquisition of run-first Arthur Smith at OC, I was rooting for Fields or Tannehill (Arthur used to be his OC) to come and compete with Pickett and Rudolph. I prefered Fields more-so due to youth/more upside/higher ceiling. But they acquire Wilson which I wasn't too crazy about which made me think Fields/Tannehill were now, obviously, out of the equation. But then they get Fields after all whilst dealing Pickett to Philly!

Okay, name Russell the starter from the get-go. Tomlin already told Fields so, and Fields is fine with that. But if Russell struggles, or doesn't renew his contract end of this coming season, then Justin gets the gig which I'll honestly be waiting for starting this coming opening week!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This all might be the best possible scenario for Justin Fields career. He gets a year to be the understudy to a possible (probable?) HOFer, who happened to have a similar skill set in his prime with Seattle.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As a Steelers fan I think acquiring both Russ and Fields were good moves that greatly improve the quarterback room for the team.
It seems wise to "back up" Wilson in case he is done... he didn't look very good in Denver last season.
Fields seems coachable and a good fit with the run first philosophy. He doesn't need to be Dan Marino to win.
And the price was right on both.

As a Pitt fan I feel badly for Pickett.
Since he was still on his rookie contract I don't know that it would've been cost prohibitive to keep him around another year (although a third round pick is nice "we" didn't get an outlandish amount of capital by trading him). Then, if Russ is only a Steeler for one year you'd have both Pickett and Fields for 2025...

However, over-all, this has to be seen as a huge improvement in the Steelers QB situation.
For now. On paper...
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

I think Fields is better than Russ right now, the decided arrangement is probably based on promises and contract timelines rather than the product on the field. They kind of just YOLOed this, it wasn't planned at all and they had to sort it out in a way where no one feels betrayed. Regardless, I'm pretty sure Tomlin just saved his job. Fields will be much better here than he would've been in Chicago.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In fairness to Russell Wilson, he did bring the Broncos back after a dismal start with no weapons other than Sutton. The Steelers have better pieces to win with and I think he will adjust fine. When Fields does get to play, he needs to take advantage so they can pick up his option or give another team a reason to ... If Arthur Smith can improve the running game even more, the QBs will benefit greatly. I wonder if Corradelle Patterson will join the team?
racepug

Post by racepug »

Personally, I think that Russell still "has it" and if he can resemble in any form his SEA self and Justin Fields can learn from that then PIT should be in pretty good shape at QB for a while.