A question about evaluating quarterbacks

Mark

Re: A question about evaluating quarterbacks

Post by Mark »

We often downgrade QBs who were otherwise great but lacked championships but consider this...Payton Manning won a Super Bowl in what was his worst year statistically. Winning the championship is the ultimate goal of course but it is a team game. Supposedly Lombardi told Jurgensen that if they had him in Green Bay they would have never lost. Now maybe he was just trying to boost Jurgensen's confidence but maybe he recognized that just because Starr won multiple championships it doesn't mean he was necessarily the better player.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Mark wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:33 pm We often downgrade QBs who were otherwise great but lacked championships but consider this...Payton Manning won a Super Bowl in what was his worst year statistically. Winning the championship is the ultimate goal of course but it is a team game. Supposedly Lombardi told Jurgensen that if they had him in Green Bay they would have never lost. Now maybe he was just trying to boost Jurgensen's confidence but maybe he recognized that just because Starr won multiple championships it doesn't mean he was necessarily the better player.
Very true. Going back to what I said on top, Peyton Manning also quarterbacked number one offenses in his peak years.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Two tihngs:

1. I have not heard of Strat-O-Matic, what is that?
and 2. In my experience these days, coaches are criticized more for clock management than quarterbacks are.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

SeahawkFever wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:51 pm Two tihngs:

1. I have not heard of Strat-O-Matic, what is that?
and 2. In my experience these days, coaches are criticized more for clock management than quarterbacks are.
Strat-o-Matic is a board game. There are individual cards for each player and if you play out a season, their statistics will come very close to reflecting what they were in real life. So, basically, they perform in the game similar to how they would on the field. In the advanced versions of the game, you can move defenders around, create blitz packages, double cover, etc. So, it's a board game simulation of real football. APBA is similar, although I haven't played that particular game.

Yes, commentators do criticize coaches for clock management. A lot of times they simply base that on usage of timeouts. Also, for most of Montana's career, you couldn't spike the ball to stop the clock. That didn't start until sometime in the 90s. If you watch film of The Catch drive or the drive at the end of Super Bowl 23, or the Elway drive in the 86 AFC Championship, you might get a feel for excellent clock management. Especially if you find film of drives where time ran out and compare.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael