Mahomes, going into SBLVIII today, what HOF QBs has he already 'passed'??

Brian wolf

Re: Mahomes, going into SBLVIII today, what HOF QBs has he already 'passed'??

Post by Brian wolf »

Speaking of Chris Jones, he made a huge hit on Purdy that could have been a wide open TD pass to Samuel. I feel the Chiefs will re-sign him. Great games for Bolton, Karlaftis and McDuffie. The 49ers pass rush could not get to Mahomes when it counted.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:45 am Speaking of Chris Jones, he made a huge hit on Purdy that could have been a wide open TD pass to Samuel. I feel the Chiefs will re-sign him. Great games for Bolton, Karlaftis and McDuffie. The 49ers pass rush could not get to Mahomes when it counted.
If they do resign him it will cost them as they will have to pay him over 30 million next season if they choose to tag him. It will be interesting though but I don't see this Chiefs dynasty lasting much longer. If their defense didn't come together like it did this season they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.What would that defense look like without Chris Jones though and if they do resign Jones they will lose some of their other good defensive players when their contract is up. Another thing to remember is Kelce is getting older and probably won't have the same type of productivity in the following years. He has helped Mahomes out a great deal.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Possibly, yet this young defense seems to rally around Jones' leadership. The Niners were rolling in the first quarter and had a turnover that should have been at least another three points. They were outscored 22-12 in the second half and overtime.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Mahomes is the greatest flag football QB of all time
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I agree the game is different and I am one of the first guys to say things like, "What about Otto Graham/Bart Starr/Johnny Unitas" when people start raving about current quarterbacks.

I've been watching since the late 70s. I saw the back half of the Steelers dynasty. I watched Montana's entire career. Honestly, Mahomes is like a combination of all of the best of the best IMO. He's got Montana and Aikman's poise when trailing. He's smart like Aikman. Can throw deep like Bradshaw and Fouts. Tough like Fouts. Mobile like Rodgers. Can read defenses as well as anybody. He's got Montana's/Brady's/Elway's come from behind magic.

Yes, the game is slanted towards offense now. He'll never take the hits that Starr and Unitas took of even that Aikman took - and Aikman took some really hard hits. One forced a rule change. But it's hard to remember a quarterback with this complete of a game. I think Mahomes is one of the few that could excel in any of the eras I've seen. There aren't too many quarterbacks I would say that about. Brady would have been good in some other eras, but I would give Mahomes a better chance in the eras I've watched.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

CSKreager wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:00 am Mahomes is the greatest flag football QB of all time
He is another example of the Joe Montana effect.

40 years ago, almost nobody said that Bart Starr (who had five rings) and Bradshaw (who had four rings) were the best ever. That phenomenon of giving a QB with a lot of rings all the credit started with Montana (even though he didn't beat anyone that good in the Super Bowl), and it continued with Brady (whos team cheated) and Mahomes.

Also, around 45:00, it is a good breakdown of Mahomes' weaknesses and why he is overrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJUx4WFRqg&t=2781s
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am I agree the game is different and I am one of the first guys to say things like, "What about Otto Graham/Bart Starr/Johnny Unitas" when people start raving about current quarterbacks.

I've been watching since the late 70s. I saw the back half of the Steelers dynasty. I watched Montana's entire career. Honestly, Mahomes is like a combination of all of the best of the best IMO. He's got Montana and Aikman's poise when trailing. He's smart like Aikman. Can throw deep like Bradshaw and Fouts. Tough like Fouts. Mobile like Rodgers. Can read defenses as well as anybody. He's got Montana's/Brady's/Elway's come from behind magic.

Yes, the game is slanted towards offense now. He'll never take the hits that Starr and Unitas took of even that Aikman took - and Aikman took some really hard hits. One forced a rule change. But it's hard to remember a quarterback with this complete of a game. I think Mahomes is one of the few that could excel in any of the eras I've seen. There aren't too many quarterbacks I would say that about. Brady would have been good in some other eras, but I would give Mahomes a better chance in the eras I've watched.
The only thing I am willing to give these Chiefs teams at this point is that Mahomes would have been a great player in any era (though I do think he would have to change his game quite a bit in order to stay healthy in an era which wasn't so quarterback friendly). However I don't think he would have seen near the amount of success if he played in an era that was more about building a full team and not just about having a good O-Line, a good QB, and one or two good receivers. I think he would have run into a lot of the same problems many other great quarterbacks did in that while he was fantastic himself his postseason success was limited because he ran into teams that just had far more talent than his team did and were able to utilize all that talent.

Let's just think of it like this. If they had the rules of today back when Elway and Marino were playing would the '86 Giants or '89 49ers been able to stop Elway? Would the '84 49ers of been able to stop Marino? If players like Elway and Marino were playing in todays game how many championships would they be winning?
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

lastcat3 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:48 am
GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am I agree the game is different and I am one of the first guys to say things like, "What about Otto Graham/Bart Starr/Johnny Unitas" when people start raving about current quarterbacks.

The only thing I am willing to give these Chiefs teams at this point is that Mahomes would have been a great player in any era (though I do think he would have to change his game quite a bit in order to stay healthy in an era which wasn't so quarterback friendly). However I don't think he would have seen near the amount of success if he played in an era that was more about building a full team and not just about having a good O-Line, a good QB, and one or two good receivers. I think he would have run into a lot of the same problems many other great quarterbacks did in that while he was fantastic himself his postseason success was limited because he ran into teams that just had far more talent than his team did and were able to utilize all that talent.

Let's just think of it like this. If they had the rules of today back when Elway and Marino were playing would the '86 Giants or '89 49ers been able to stop Elway? Would the '84 49ers of been able to stop Marino? If players like Elway and Marino were playing in todays game how many championships would they be winning?
Yeah, I agree with that. And to be clear - I think Mahomes would be an excellent quarterback in other eras but that doesn't mean that he would necessarily win a championship. He could compete for one - I think he could at least be a playoff quarterback in other eras - but if we're talking 70s and 80s when Dan Fouts and John Elway didn't win championships - I mean, it would be tough to win one let alone three.

And conversely, yeah - Elway and Marino and even Fouts - there isn't a doubt in my mind that those guys wouldn't be winning multiple championships in today's game.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Rice had a great rookie year for KC, but for Mahomes to win it all this year with only Kelce being a consistent target, shows how great that defense played this season. This team lost games on wide receiver mistakes and drops alone. Mahomes takes advantage of the best pick plays and calls since Bill Walsh. Why couldnt teams stop them, when it counted? Is Mahomes, like Brady, playing Jedi Mind Tricks on their teams into making mistakes or was the Chiefs defense, especially in the secondary, just that good?
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:20 pm Rice had a great rookie year for KC, but for Mahomes to win it all this year with only Kelce being a consistent target, shows how great that defense played this season. This team lost games on wide receiver mistakes and drops alone. Mahomes takes advantage of the best pick plays and calls since Bill Walsh. Why couldnt teams stop them, when it counted? Is Mahomes, like Brady, playing Jedi Mind Tricks on their teams into making mistakes or was the Chiefs defense, especially in the secondary, just that good?
Spags was a joke with the Rams.