2023 Conference Championship Games

JohnR

Re: 2023 Conference Championship Games

Post by JohnR »

YA is smiling down from heaven.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JohnR wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:55 pm The half time score in 1957 was Niners 24 Lions 7. At halftime today it was 24-7 Lions. The 49ers just tied it up. Just an interesting coincidence.
Tough game for the Lions (although I'm never unhappy when the 49ers make it to the S.B.) but I think Dan Campbell has them pointed in the right direction and maybe they can take that next step next year. The turning point in the NFC Championship Game as far as I'm concerned was that early 2nd half fumble by DET that the 49ers turned into 7 points. That gave the 49ers confidence that they could come back and it seemed to really shake the Lions who made mistake after mistake after mistake in the 2nd half after that.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JohnR wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:33 pm YA is smiling down from heaven.
So are The King, Joe the Jet, and R.C.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Will have to watch the replay since I missed the game but feel bad for the Lions ... losing a big lead in defeat is darn near as painful to the players than getting blownout. A team gets so close
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You were right Richard, those 4th down gambles may have bit Campbell in the ass this time. Especially with a chance to go up 27-10 ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Like racepug said, a snowball effect of mistakes and dropped passes killed the Lions after refusing a FG attempt and possible 27-10 lead in the 3rd Qrt. The Lions also had a chance to take a 28-7 lead in the second quarter when Goff missed a wide open receiver that could have been a TD. The defense finally started losing their poise while the 49ers came back but the Lions also dropped three interceptions. Tough loss for Goff who tried to stem the tide but his receivers couldnt get the passes when they needed too.

Great games for Purdy, McCaffrey, Aiyuk and Samuel with Kittle used as a monster blocker as they fed off the great Aiyuk catch downfield that ignited the crowd ...
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

When Campbell decided to go for it on 4th down the second time, I said to my wife (actually, it was more like I was talking to myself, since she wasn't paying any attention to the game), "If the Lions make it, they'll win. If they don't, the 49ers will win."
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:58 pm You were right Richard, those 4th down gambles may have bit Campbell in the ass this time. Especially with a chance to go up 27-10 ...
I was yelling at the TV about that one, Brian, woke up our two dogs who were snoring and farting all through the game. The game really turned on that. If anything I would've run Montgomery for those 2 yards. I had a funny vibe throughout the entire first half, esp. when it ended 24-7---the same score (as other posters have pointed out) SF was up back in that '57 playoff. And it's a helluva lot easier to come back from 17 points down in today's NFL than it was in '57. Once that ball bounced off the facemask I told my wife it was all over. I've seen a thousand games of all types and you just know when the momentum has irreversibly shifted. I dunno, you could just feel it through the screen.

Giving up 27 straight unanswered points in a half ain't gonna do it. Lions gotta shore up the D in the offseason. (I know: Thank you, Captain Obvious.)

But all in all, it was a great ride. Let's just hope this season wasn't a one-off. I don't think so---there's a nice core of young talent and players enjoy playing for Campbell.

I think I'm gonna take a long break from this board. Trying to finish up a book and the season's been fun, but distracting.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:28 pm
JohnR wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:55 pm The half time score in 1957 was Niners 24 Lions 7. At halftime today it was 24-7 Lions. The 49ers just tied it up. Just an interesting coincidence.
So very eerie! So very eerie.

How many, if any, are still alive who partook in that tie-breaker at Kezar?
From the Lions, I think only Joe Schmidt and Jerry Reichow are still around. Steve Junker just died. Don't know about SF.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Campbell made the correct call in kicking the FG at the end of the first half and then reversed himself and passed up the two obvious FG opportunities in the second half. One would have negated SF’s early third quarter FG to again make it a three score game and the second would have tied the game at 27. I’m not a Lions fan by any stretch but I was screaming at the TV both times that he had to kick the field goals just as he had done at the end of the first half.

Campbell may be a great motivator but I’m quite certain that many in the Lions organization are questioning his decision making abilities.