NFL's Most Influential Teams

lastcat3

Re: NFL's Most Influential Teams

Post by lastcat3 »

Of that list they gathered together

'68 Jets-Not sure how their victory makes them an influential team as upsets happen all the time. I understand why they were put on the list but I guess the question is would the Super Bowl have taken off like it did if the Jets had lost that game? I think we can safely all agree that they weren't one of the better Super Bowl champions so really the upset is all they have to hang their hat on. So again the question comes back to does the Super Bowl take off like it did if they had lost? If the answer is no than I guess they would be influential. If the answer is yes than they are just another team that had a significant upset.

1958 Colts-This team I buy into more of them being influential because they were the best team in the league when the NFL was really taking off and they were the first dynasty that many people were able to see on their tv screens. So the late '50's Colts I do buy as being one of the more influential teams.

'72 Dolphins. This for obvious reasons as they still are the only undefeated team in the modern era and with the way the NFL is in the salary cap era there likely never will be another undefeated team (if the Patriots Dynasty couldn't do it I don't see it happening again).

'50 Browns- Like the Colts and Dolphins teams this team for obvious reasons. Without the success the '50 Browns teams had it's possible the NFL and AFL don't merge when they do.

'85 Bears- What is influential about this team? Sure they were good but we had a 15-1 team just the year before them who won the Super Bowl as well. The Bears of the '80's did not turn into a dynasty so I don't believe they belong on the list. If we are going to put them on the list we might as well include all the other great teams there have been.

'81 49ers. Unlike the '58 Colts, '72 Dolphins, and '50 Browns this team seems to be on the list simply because they were the team that kicked off a dynasty. If we are going to put teams on the list simply because they were part of a dynasty why don't we put the team on that made them a dynasty......Maybe the '89 9ers would fit better on the list.

'74 Steelers. Pretty much the same as the '81 49ers.

'46 Rams. Don't really know enough about this team to say much.

'01 Patriots. Same as '74 Steelers and '81 49ers.

'61 Packers. Same as Patriots, Steelers, and 49ers.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I think the logic behind putting the 1968 Jets at #1 is that they "proved" that the best of the AFL could stand toe to toe with the best of the NFL... and the merger would be a merger of equals. Still all that being said I wouldn't put them #1. Maybe in my top 10.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think the logic behind including the '85 Bears is they serve as a prime and early example of how the NFL was really starting to seep into pop culture---the whole "Da Bears," the Fridge, Jim McMahon with his headband and shades, Ditka, Sweetness Payton, et all popping up on Saturday Night Live, beer commercials, rap videos, etc. Overall the players and the league just seemed to becoming more self-aware of their place in pop culture in the '80s. This ain't your dad's NFL---no more Earl Morralls. Just my take.

I blame Da Bears for Taylor Swift. :)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

RichardBak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:20 pm I think the logic behind including the '85 Bears is they serve as a prime and early example of how the NFL was really starting to seep into pop culture---the whole "Da Bears," the Fridge, Jim McMahon with his headband and shades, Ditka, Sweetness Payton, et all popping up on Saturday Night Live, beer commercials, rap videos, etc. Overall the players and the league just seemed to becoming more self-aware of their place in pop culture in the '80s. This ain't your dad's NFL---no more Earl Morralls. Just my take.

I blame Da Bears for Taylor Swift. :)
And not to mention a hilarious SNL sketch starring Mike Myers and George Wendt. :D
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

I think this list would be better if they ranked the most influential "seasons." But I agree with most teams on the list.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:12 pm I think this list would be better if they ranked the most influential "seasons." But I agree with most teams on the list.
That's a really good idea. Actually, I think that would make for an excellent book---chronologically trace the evolution of pro ball through several watershed seasons. I'm too lazy to write it myself, so I'll just wait for someone else to do it.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 pm And not to mention a hilarious SNL sketch starring Mike Myers and George Wendt. :D
Thanks, I needed a good laugh:
https://youtu.be/NhMqjHEDmcU?si=KUp2cA5jNzFzQ6Ii
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

lastcat3 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 am '46 Rams. Don't really know enough about this team to say much.
The first team on the West Coast
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

1961 Packers: because they helped establish the modern tight end via Ron Kramer? Because it was the start of the Lombardi dynasty?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Citizen wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:25 am 1961 Packers: because they helped establish the modern tight end via Ron Kramer? Because it was the start of the Lombardi dynasty?
The 1962 Packers were when "Lombardi's Packers" became a national team and the Lombardi legend emerged. Vince Lombardi was on the December 21, 1962 cover of Time magazine, just before the 1962 NFL Title game in Yankee Stadium against the Giants.