Divisional Playoff Weekend

sheajets

Re: Divisional Playoff Weekend

Post by sheajets »

The Chiefs are finally beginning to get Patriotized by other NFL fans in that there is now a general feeling that they've had enough prosperity, good fortune, and need to get knocked down a peg. Taylor Swift has at least something to do with it as the conspiracy theories start to spread that the NFL wants to ride this media wave and have that storybook moment after the Super Bowl, with the confetti coming down and Travis Kelce dropping to one knee ;)

I got nothing against KC so them winning doesn't stick in my craw like it did with New England.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats what worries me as well Sheajets ... if there is ever a media darling team that could go back-to-back its the Chiefs, though part of me wants them to prove me wrong since I still dont believe there will be another back-to-back champion. I still believe Vegas wants upsets but if KC were to get by Baltimore, they might be favored in the SB. I also feel that if Baltimore was to win they might face Detroit but now is the time for SF and the York family to hoist the trophy. Of course if it doesnt happen, everybody will blame Brock Purdy ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

The vibe I'm getting is that Detroit's the sentimental fave of a lot of folks around the country, which is nice but not unexpected. It's been so damn long, nobody really expected them to be this far along, and they like gambling Dan's energy. I gotta say, it certainly does feel different. Back in '91, last time Lions were in the NFC title game, it was kind of a foregone conclusion that Washington would mop up Wayne Fontes's crew, which they did. Lions opened the '91 season getting clobbered 45-0 by the Skins, then closed it out with another wipeout, 41-10.

I can see Detroit upsetting the 49ers, who deserve to be the favorites (haven't looked at the line), but the Super Bowl---well, Lions beat Chiefs @ KC to open the season, so maybe they'll flip 1991 on its head and wind up beating the same team to open and close the year. But if it's Baltimore---man, I don't see how they're gonna deny Lamar Jackson. The Ravens ran circles over, around, and through Detroit earlier this year, and that Ravens defense is sumpin else. I don't see any of the teams left, KC, SF, or Det, beating them these last two rounds.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:44 pm I still believe Vegas wants upsets but if KC . . .

This again? Las Vegas wants this. The networks want that. I want the Jets to win a Super Bowl. Las Vegas and the networks would probably like the other New York City metro region team to win occasionally too but the Jets have missed the playoffs every year for a generation.

Wake me when what Las Vegas and the networks want to have happen actually happens.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I do not understand why Vegas cares what happens. I suppose they want the NFL to get as much attention as possible as that would likely result in more bets but they make their money no matter who wins.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I just think Vegas likes upsets ... I believe more bettors take favorites. Will the Chiefs repeat?
Mark

Post by Mark »

The line is set to get the same number of bettors on each side. That is the reason for the line.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Mark wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 pm The line is set to get the same number of bettors on each side. That is the reason for the line.
Exactly. It's kind surprising how many folks, including bettors, don't understand this.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

RichardBak wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:06 pm
Mark wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 pm The line is set to get the same number of bettors on each side. That is the reason for the line.
Exactly. It's kind surprising how many folks, including bettors, don't understand this.
Most bettors aren't nearly as smart as they think they are.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I dont understand the Dolphins. They are letting Fangio walk when the defense is getting better. He will probably go to Philly. McDaniels has an exciting team but not convinced he is a champion level HC but we will see if the team can make further progress next year. So far, only Atlanta has reached out to Belichick but teams may be waiting to see if Ben Johnson will be available more after sundays games.