Super Wild Card Weekend

Bob Gill

Re: Super Wild Card Weekend

Post by Bob Gill »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:09 am Similar to the collapse of the 1986 Jets, though the Eagles were a defending conference champion
Off the top of my head, I'd say the best comparison here is with the 1981 Eagles, as was recently mentioned on this forum (by 74_75_78..., I believe). That team was also coming off a Super Bowl loss; they started the next season 9-2 instead of 10-1, but finished by losing four of their last five and then getting bounced in the first playoff game by a 9-7 Giants team. The parallel seems almost perfect.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call Bob ... I still think the Eagles will keep their head coach but will the assistants stay?
racepug

Post by racepug »

I seriously doubt that the N.F.L. will go back to having fewer teams in its playoffs but this doesn't seem to speak well of the competitiveness of "Super Wild Card Weekend."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 2_39823064
Ness

Post by Ness »

At least the 1986 Jets won a playoff game, and took the Browns to double overtime in the divisional round. This collapse by the 2023 Eagles has to be in the conversation of worst-ever. I'm honestly not sure if Nick Siriani survives.

BTW this is why the famous Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says your are" isn't a universal truth. Years from now, people can just look up the 11-6 Eagles, and assume they were a good squad without having any context as to the debacle that ensued. Even if you look at the loss streak, if you didn't see how lifeless the squad looked the last 1/3 of the season, you won't get the vibe of how bad it was. Just a hideous croak job.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Ness wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:09 pm At least the 1986 Jets won a playoff game, and took the Browns to double overtime in the divisional round. This collapse by the 2023 Eagles has to be in the conversation of worst-ever. I'm honestly not sure if Nick Siriani survives.

BTW this is why the famous Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says your are" isn't a universal truth. Years from now, people can just look up the 11-6 Eagles, and assume they were a good squad without having any context as to the debacle that ensued. Even if you look at the loss streak, if you didn't see how lifeless the squad looked the last 1/3 of the season, you won't get the vibe of how bad it was. Just a hideous croak job.
I agree with you on that Bill Parcells quote. So many things to take into consideration aside from just the record.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You have to admire Hurts playing through various injuries but at some point, could Mariota have came in and given them a spark?
It seemed like they relied on RB Swift too much and he slowed down. To my knowledge, this is the first regular season he has completed healthy and Gainwell and Penny were non-factors. AJ Brown slowed down as well, with no one other than Smith picking up the slack. Even Goedert was frustrated and let Hurts know about it during the playoff game ...

They blew leads of 17-13 in the last two minutes against Seattle, and 21-6 against Arizona, that could have given them 13 wins and probably the division, yet the defense couldnt get enough of a pass rush that exposed Bradberry and Slay, who played at All-Pro levels last year. Reddick, Sweat and Graham werent nearly as effective as last season ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

One thing that has annoyed me all season and seems to have a greater affect in the postseason is how these QB runs are being officiated. Do you remember when the NFL went to the 5-yard 'incidental' facemask along with the 15-yard facemask? The NFL needs something like that for these QB slides. If you smash the QB in the helmet, its 15, but other contact can just be a 5-yard penalty. Not only a lot of these QBs really good runners, they are also sliding very late IMO.

Josh Allen had a QB sneak where he jumped and was pulled over the 1st down marker (I thought THAT was the illegal part of assisting the runner, but I guess not). Later on, he had a long TD run where halfway through the run he slows down and leans back like he is going to slide, and then continued running full-speed for a TD. Not sure how the defenders are supposed to know the QB's intent. Then later in the game at a (relatively) key juncture, Allen runs and slides at the last second as a Steeler defender is tackling him. 15-yards tacked on. Its a really tough situation that is created by the rules and the officials' interpretation.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Allen did a good flop to get that penalty, Dennis Rodman would have been proud. I thought the Bills recovered Freiermuth's fumble as well. This game should have been a blowout but the Steelers fought. Will Tomlin just play out the final year of his contract?

I dont agree with the Browns firing Alex Van Pelt, who did a good job with Flacco and adjusted after the loss of Nick Chubb. Yes, Watson still hasnt justified his money and Njoku finally played up to his potential but I felt with Chubb, this team had a run-first, hard nosed approach to football that I like.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Forget the slide. I think all QBs should have a lace-trimmed hanky tucked into their pants, and treat them like it's flag football.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:17 pm Forget the slide. I think all QBs should have a lace-trimmed hanky tucked into their pants, and treat them like it's flag football.
Wouldn't a swathe of hundred dollar bills be more appropriate for todays quarterbacks?