Three titans gone

racepug

Three titans gone

Post by racepug »

Bill Belichick - 9 S.B. appearances (as H.C.), 6 Lombardis.
Pete Carroll - a national championship at the college level and two S.B. appearances and 1 Lombardi Trophy.
Nick Saban - 7 national championships at the collegiate level.

All three out of a job within the span of (approximately) 24 hours.

Can anyone remember another time when three illustrious football coaches were each dismissed (or chose to retire) in such a a short span of time?
Bryan

Re: Three titans gone

Post by Bryan »

2006 saw the last pro coaching seasons of Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer.....and Nick Saban!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Late 1962 had Paul Brown and Weeb Ewbank dismissed from their teams ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I wonder if the Patriots will pursue Mike Vrabel.
racepug

Post by racepug »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:50 pm I wonder if the Patriots will pursue Mike Vrabel.
From what I've read they're going to promote Jerod Mayo to H.C. We'll see!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I know it sounds crazy but what if Kraft-Mayo pursued Brady?
racepug

Post by racepug »

I got this from Yahoo! sports:

Stat of the day: Since 2000, there have been 24 Super Bowls and 24 college football title games. Belichick, Saban and Carroll have coached in 22 of those games (46%) and won 15 of them (31%).
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

racepug wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:07 pm
ChrisBabcock wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:50 pm I wonder if the Patriots will pursue Mike Vrabel.
From what I've read they're going to promote Jerod Mayo to H.C. We'll see!
They just did: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patr ... w-england/
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

NFL.com said that Mayo "had it in his contract" that he would succeed Belichick when the time came and that they avoided a "lengthy hiring process" by sharing this info with the NFL.

My question is: How does this supplant the "Rooney Rule" about interviewing minority prospects?
Is that rendered mute because Mayo is a minority?
Or is the "long term succession" strategy able to work around such requirements?

"Rapoport added Thursday, in the wake of the Pats and Belichick parting ways, that if Mayo was indeed the choice, Kraft could hire him as the next coach without traversing a lengthy hiring process, as the Pats already established a firm, contractual succession plan in a prior contract and communicated it to the NFL."

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-hirin ... head-coach

Apologies:
Wikipedia (assuming it is correct) answered my question...

"The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening. For example, this was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season. Also, the requirement does not apply if the assistant coach taking over the head position is a minority, as was the case with Mike Singletary and the San Francisco 49ers in late 2008."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule
conace21

Post by conace21 »

racepug wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:49 pm Bill Belichick - 9 S.B. appearances (as H.C.), 6 Lombardis.
Pete Carroll - a national championship at the college level and two S.B. appearances and 1 Lombardi Trophy.
Nick Saban - 7 national championships at the collegiate level.

All three out of a job within the span of (approximately) 24 hours.

Can anyone remember another time when three illustrious football coaches were each dismissed (or chose to retire) in such a a short span of time?
1967 - George Halas retired from coaching for the final time. Vince Lombardi stepped down as coach of the Packers. Trying to think of a 3rd in college