George Kittle HOF Future?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

George Kittle HOF Future?

Post by Brian wolf »

One player who has benefitted from the arrival of Brock Purdy to the 49ers is TE George Kittle, who has put up his best numbers since his sophomore season in 2018. He should make All-Pro this year, for the second time since 2019 and is considered one of, if not the best, blocking tight ends in football. If the 49ers win that elusive SB, does he have a HOF future?

Looking at his stats and accolades, he could well be on his way if he can stay healthy. The team has been one of the best since 2019 and a SB championship could help his future chances.

Travis Kelce has had a more down year, being distracted by Taylor Swift and the hoopla, which helps Kittle, who has always been a more complete player anyway, IMO.
Bryan

Re: George Kittle HOF Future?

Post by Bryan »

I've always considered Kittle to be the 2nd best TE in the NFL behind Kelce. He doesn't look overly big, but as you said he is a great blocker and a very physical player. I think he has a HOF future if he stays healthy.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

If Mark Andrews can rebound from injuries and Kelce rides off into marriage with Swift while retiring in the future--a big if and when--Andrews and Kittle could battle for All-Pro honors for awhile ... three great players.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:27 pm If Mark Andrews can rebound from injuries and Kelce rides off into marriage with Swift while retiring in the future--a big if and when--Andrews and Kittle could battle for All-Pro honors for awhile ... three great players.
There is also Sam LaPorta and Brock Bowers who may end up contending for All Pro honors in the coming years. Kittle is certainly on a Hall of Fame trajectory but he will have to play well for a few more years.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Speaking of LaPorta, who has had a great season, you have to wonder if the Lions will let him rest rather than playing against the Vikings? He was good against Dallas but fans can see he is exhausted as well. He made some "lookout" blocks that nearly got Goff killed, so he will have to improve that area of his game for postseason. Kincaid in Buffalo is exhausted too but the Bills need him for Miami ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

I'll disagree 100% brian there is no way shape or form kelce is being hurt by taylor swift
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I'm not big on commenting about current player chances at HOVG, HOF... but I think health is the top factor for Kittle. Can he stay healthy? Also, can San Francisco maintain its offensive prowess? Because Kittle is a big part. If both hold true over the next 4-5 years, it could be enough for him.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I hate references to players as being "future H.o.F.ers" when they're still playing (unless it's super obvious - as with Tom Brady) but George Kittle is, to me, the best TE in the game right now. I rank him up there with the likes of Mark Bavaro and even Gronk - two of my favorite TEs from my lifetime. I think he's FAR superior to Travis Kelce because, in my view, George Kittle is by far the better blocker and as was the case with John Madden I am of the belief that "your TE should be able to catch as well as your best WR and block as well as your best OL." The only thing I would "downgrade" him for is for being relatively injury prone (although he seems to be doing okay in that regard this year). But having never played football I don't feel that I'm in a position to criticize anybody who plays football - especially at the N.F.L. level - for being "fragile."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You guys are right, I just wanted to bring up Kittle as he is slightly underpublicized compared to Kelce, who gets more accolades. Without Kelce, Kittle might have had at least 3-4 more All-Pro designations and Andrews is right behind ...
Ness

Post by Ness »

Hopefully voters can see past the volume stats. In this papermetrics era that might not matter as much in some cases. Kittle's could be one of those cases. Having a SB ring would obviously help too.

If he gets to Ozzie Newsome career total levels (around two years if he hangs around mostly healthy) he'll be ok with the numbers I'd think. He's already at Winslow level in terms of yards. And yeah, Winslow was a revolutionary player, but was also hurt a lot, and had a short peak period.

Heard some chatter about it being "too late" for him due to lack of volume stats, which is a bit surprising. I think folks are really getting caught up in that rhetoric too much. Which is funny, because I don't think many people will be pounding the table for someone like Jimmy Graham to get in.