How come the Super Bowl hasn't gone back to the Rose Bowl

lastcat3

How come the Super Bowl hasn't gone back to the Rose Bowl

Post by lastcat3 »

While watching the Rose Bowl game I was curious to see if there have been any more Super Bowls there since the one in '93. To my surprise there hasn't been and it doesn't even seem like the Rose Bowl is in the running to host another one. Was a little surprised considering it is a beautiful setting to host a big game.

Does the Rose Bowl not really have the accommodations that is required to host a Super Bowl these days given that it is an older stadium? Or perhaps does the area around the Rose Bowl not want the Super Bowl to come back. I do know that most of the stadiums that NFL teams play games at are usually located fairly close to a downtown area and the Rose Bowl is kind of far off on it's own situated more around neighborhoods than a central business district part of a city. So that could be part of it.

Were there issues during Super Bowl XXVII week that made the NFL not want to come back?
Mark

Re: How come the Super Bowl hasn't gone back to the Rose Bowl

Post by Mark »

For a long time LA didn't have an NFL team and I think they only have SBs in NFL cities. When the NFL returned I think they wanted to give it to the new stadium. I agree though I love the Rose Bowl site, at least on TV. I did once go to Pasadena but didn't have the chance to see the stadium much less attend a game so I cannot comment on what it is like in person.
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

I was at the Rose Bowl in 2017. It is an incredibly antiquated stadium, even after its renovations. There are huge traffic jams in the tunnels that prevent people outside the stands from getting to their seats and vice versa. It is a spectacular sight for a football game, a great atmosphere, and it feels magical. Every football fan should try to see one Rose Bowl (and fast, because the CFP may render the Rose Bowl meaningless at any time). But logistically the stadium's outdated and probably couldn't stand up to Super Bowl standards.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

It's a nightmare to get in and out of with full capacity crowds. But yes, the surroundings and the atmosphere are spectacular.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Yeah that's what I figured the case might be is that it isn't modern enough for the current Super Bowl standards. I'm assuming they just had the game there thirty years ago because there were no other more up to date stadiums in the Los Angelas area.

Too bad. I'm guessing if you asked the players where they would prefer to play the big game many of them would probably choose the Rose Bowl over one of the new age stadiums in the L.A area.