104th season, Week 17 preview

racepug

104th season, Week 17 preview

Post by racepug »

DAL vs. DET (Saturday night) – The N.F.C. entry based in TX is undefeated at home this season. Can the newly crowned N.F.C. North division champion Lions be the team to end that streak?

BAL vs. MIA - A game between teams that could very well end up playing against each other in the playoffs (at some point) with both teams coming in off of a win. Can the Dolphins shake the perception that they can't beat any GOOD teams in 2023 with a win over the conference-leading Ravens?

BUF vs. N.E. - The Patriots upset the Broncos last week and the Bills earlier in the season. Can they pull off another upset here in Week 17?

CHI vs. ATL - Basically, both of these teams need to 'win out' to have any chance at making the playoffs. If 'Da Bears' win then after all is said and done in Week 17 I think it's entirely possible that BOTH teams will be eliminated from the playoff hunt.

HOU vs. TEN - TEN is already eliminated from the playoff chase while HOU is tied for first place in the division. Due to tie-breakers I believe the Texans need to keep winning to have any chance of making the playoffs this season.

Indy vs. the LVR - The Colts have won 5 of 7 (but have also lost 2 of their last 3) while the Raiders have won 2 straight including a win on the road on Xmas Day over the division-leading Chiefs. Can the Raiders keep the momentum going and somehow make the playoffs this year?

JAX vs. CAR - A few weeks ago the Jaguars were being penciled in for a playoff berth (if not the division title) but four straight losses have changed that. Trevor Lawrence is going to miss the first start of his young career so is this CAR's opportunity to get their 3rd win of the season?

the NYG vs. the LAR - Los Gigantes are officially eliminated from the playoff picture while the Rams currently hold the #6 seed in the N.F.C. (thanks to their season sweep of the Seahawks). SEA appears to have the easier schedule to finish the season so the Rams can't afford to stumble on the road, here.

PHI vs. ARZ - The 'Iggles' ended their 3-game losing streak last week with a win (although maybe closer than some people expected) over division rivals the NYG. The Cardinals can do nothing except play spoiler at this point.

T.B. vs. 'N'awlins' - With a win (and a CHI win over ATL. And maybe even w/o that) the Buccaneers will win their division in their first season after having future H.o.F.er Tom Brady at QB for 3 years. Can they get it done or will they have to wait until the final week of the season to claim the division title (and very likely the division's only playoff berth)?

WAS vs. SFO - The Commanders - one of the teams already eliminated from the playoff chase while the 49ers are coming in off of a disappointing game against A.F.C. leaders BAL. Will the Niners bounce back or will they leave an opening for another N.F.C. to grab the top seed in the conference?

SEA vs. PIT - The Seahawks managed to beat TEN on the road last week while the 'Stillers' ended a 3-game losing streak by beating division rivals CIN. Should be an interesting game in the PNW on Sunday.

DEN vs. the LAC - The Broncos come into Week 17 with a (faint) chance of making the playoffs but with having benched QB Russell Wilson (for, from what I've read, refusing to restructure his contract), too. Will that torpedo their chances against the floundering Chargers?

K.C. vs. CIN - The "Chefs" haven't looked "right" all season while CIN needs a win to maintain any chance of making the playoffs this year. Can the Bengals keep their playoff hopes alive by exacting a small measure of revenge for the A.F.C. championship game loss from last season?

MIN vs. G.B. (Sunday night) - In this last game of the weekend (the N.F.L. is ceding Monday to the CFP) these division rivals go at it. MIN won the earlier game on the road but comes in off of a loss to (division champion!) DET. I'm not sure of all the permutations but I think MIN can survive a loss in this one and still have a chance at the playoffs while G.B. probably can't so we'll see if the Packers can even the season series or if the Vikings sweep the Pack for the first time since 2017.
Brian wolf

Re: 104th season, Week 17 preview

Post by Brian wolf »

With a playoff berth on the line, the Seahawks cut Frank Clark, who plays when he wants to ... could the struggling Chiefs pick him up again?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It helps to have a Dallas lineman holding a Lions defender on the 92 yard TD pass to Lamb ... nice non-call when you can get it!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Campbell was dumb tonight ... kick the darn extra point! There goes a chance at overtime and home-field advantage!
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:20 am Campbell was dumb tonight ... kick the darn extra point! There goes a chance at overtime and home-field advantage!
Agreed. Live by the sword, die by the sword. I sometimes think the more national attention the Lions get, the more Campbell feels like he has to live up to his riverboat gambler reputation. Should've kicked the FG on 4th down to make it a 7-6 game, should've kicked the XP and send it into OT. I still cringe over that failed fake punt vs Green Bay on Turkey Day.

Oh well, a fun game to watch and quite possibly a preview of the playoffs. I'm too old to stroke out over bad calls. Trying to preserve my health.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

RichardBak wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:50 am
Brian wolf wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:20 am Campbell was dumb tonight ... kick the darn extra point! There goes a chance at overtime and home-field advantage!
Agreed. Live by the sword, die by the sword. I sometimes think the more national attention the Lions get, the more Campbell feels like he has to live up to his riverboat gambler reputation. Should've kicked the FG on 4th down to make it a 7-6 game, should've kicked the XP and send it into OT. I still cringe over that failed fake punt vs Green Bay on Turkey Day.

Oh well, a fun game to watch and quite possibly a preview of the playoffs. I'm too old to stroke out over bad calls. Trying to preserve my health.
Same here. When you reach a certain age and have observed football a long time, you know not to get as worked up as you did when young.