Worst MVP race EVER

JameisBrownston

Worst MVP race EVER

Post by JameisBrownston »

I definitely haven't watched a less compelling NFL MVP race than 2023, and I'd bet most of you haven't either. Every legitimate candidate has taken turns imploding their first week on top of the odds, to the point where a very average Lamar Jackson season is now being considered. It's gotta be CMC in the end, right?! What changed since AP won, CMC will end with much better stats than AP 2012. Or does Allen get back in it if the Bills win out? He has 40 TDs, and only really fell back because they were 6-6 at one point, but 11-6 is a perfectly fine MVP QB record.

There's just no way it's gonna be Lamar or Hurts or Brock Purdy. The problem is, every QB with a 50m salary has had a very down year, except for Allen and Hurts, who are completely held aloft by the tush push, and I'm feeling a strong counter-push by voters to not credit them for that. Otherwise, they have regressed hard also, both passing and rushing. Worst year of QB play in at least a decade, and I thought last year was kinda rough. Right this second, Joe Flacco seriously might be the most dangerous QB going into the playoffs...
Brian wolf

Re: Worst MVP race EVER

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call JS ...

I think the voters could easily go with McCaffrey, since he probably should have gotten MVP with Carolina in 2019 with a similar year. Too bad a QB will get it but who? Mahomes like Jackson and Allen, have basically done it by themselves, though Jackson lost his premiere receiver in Andrews.

Yes, he hasnt been All-Pro or even made the Pro Bowl, and his 3-14 starting record with Denver and the Jets was bad, but if Flacco were to take the Browns to the AFC Championship game--much less win another SB--he deserves future consideration for HOVG.

With Kyren Williams helping the Rams make the playoffs, If Stafford was to help lead them all the way, he would get serious consideration for future HOF election, of course he would have to beat the 49ers twice but "on any given sunday, or monday"?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think it'll go to McCaffrey, and he deserves it.

But then, my predictions about anything are usually 90% wrong, so maybe I'm jinxing the poor guy.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Joe Flacco!

I would probably vote for McCaffery or Tyreek Hill. Could the lack of great QBs create an opening for a defensive player to win MVP? Like TJ Watt or Myles Garrett?
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Yeah, the Flacco thing is one of the wildest CPOY stories ever. Dude's career was over. He's clearly taking this last chance to show us all the elite dragon he could have been.

This is a year where I really wish there was a transcendent defensive performance on display for us to consider, but there just isn't. Whenever that inevitable 25 sack season finally happens, I really hope the guy gets a fair shake. McCaffrey feels like the only special player in the entire league. Hill missed a game, his case is shot.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bland is doing something special on defense but it helps having Gillmore play well on the other corner side and Parsons getting after the passer. Watching Parsons, he has relentless ability, similar to LT but also like LT, isnt nearly the factor in stopping the run or coverage. He can absorb linemen though. If he had run-stopping skills similar to Wagner in Seattle, they might have to outlaw him.

TJ Watt is approaching his second 20 sack season like his brother, and Garrett and Bosa still get held alot. Aaron Donald has slowed down but the playoffs should pick him up, I believe ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Kyren Williams has revitalized the Rams offense but with Stafford, Pacua and Kupp playing well, wont get MVP consideration.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:40 pm Kyren Williams has revitalized the Rams offense but with Stafford, Pacua and Kupp playing well, wont get MVP consideration.
Nacua will probably win the Rookie of the Year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Nacua ... my fault. I think it will be Stroud easily but a great story. Addison has more TDs and Gibbs has blended in beautifully for Detroit but add Robinson and LaPorta and a very close vote. Achane also could explode these last two games.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:26 pm I think it'll go to McCaffrey, and he deserves it.
He's my choice, as well. Mahomes hasn't always looked himself but he has also been done in by the horrible job by his receivers this year (last I saw the "Chefs" have THE MOST DROPS of any receiving corps in the N.F.L. this year), Flacco hasn't played enough (in my opinion) to warrant consideration, Brock Purdy apparently torpedoed his chances on Xmas night, and I would NEVER, not in a MILLION YEARS, choose Lamar Jackson.

If there's any justice CMC will get it. Trouble is that, of late, that award almost always goes to QBs. We'll see if it goes to a QB, again, in a season when none really deserves it.