What happened to Pro Football Archives?

JeffreyMiller

Re: What happened to Pro Football Archives?

Post by JeffreyMiller »

TodMaher wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:09 pm Yes, I have permanently shut down the Pro Football Archives website.
Wait, what? Geez, Tod, that would be a shame. I have found your research invaluable over the years.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I would refer to this site often. Just a couple months ago I was trying to ID an obscure film from the Continental league and with a couple key strokes I determined it was opening night 1965, Fort Wayne vs Norfolk. Priceless reference material.

Anyway, thank you for making this available Tod. -John
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

TodMaher wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:09 pm Yes, I have permanently shut down the Pro Football Archives website.
That site was a big help. Just used it a couple of weeks ago tracing Art Strahan's career for a project. Thanks so much for all of the data you provided us with over the years. I know how difficult and expensive it is to maintain a website. There are many who appreciated your efforts.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Thanks for the all kinds words about the Archives. I hope to make an announcement in the near future about what will happen to my data. It does NOT involve reviving the Archives web site.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

TodMaher wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:22 pm Thanks for the all kinds words about the Archives. I hope to make an announcement in the near future about what will happen to my data. It does NOT involve reviving the Archives web site.
Yes, I was thinking that the data must still exist, so it can be turned into a book or some sort of database.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Certainly a loss to the research community, but thanks for all the years of maintaining the site.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

The roster limits page was my go to over the years, especially 7-8 years ago when I was trying to verify 'taxi squad' info. Tod had it and ease-of-use was a massive bonus.
argofan87

Post by argofan87 »

Thank you for maintaining the site for so long!
It is sad to see it go because it was one of the few sources for CFL stats.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Is there any update on if/where the Pro Football Archives data might land so interested researchers can continue to access it?
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

I thought it was a phenomenal website with data Pro Football Reference should have and feature (CFL and on their college page D1-AA (FCS) too).
I would like to thank Mr. Tod Maher for running it as long as he did, and I sure would like to see that data used somewhere accessible to the online community. This was truly incredible work and it will be missed.
Last edited by Cali_Eagle on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.