What happened to Pro Football Archives?

JohnR

What happened to Pro Football Archives?

Post by JohnR »

Site is no more? Or is it that my aged computer can no longer can be friends with PFA?
JohnTurney

Re: What happened to Pro Football Archives?

Post by JohnTurney »

Didn't know it was gone. What a loss. They had things Pro Football Reference didn't. And things Pro Football Database didn't.

Hope it is temporary ... it was extremely useful.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Yes, I have permanently shut down the Pro Football Archives website.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:32 pm Didn't know it was gone. What a loss. They had things Pro Football Reference didn't. And things Pro Football Database didn't.

I agree. It had CFL, WFL, USFL, NFL Europe and even 60's minor league stats. It was one of my favorite research tools. I hope it will come back.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Web sites take time and money to operate and we can't take them for granted.

That being said, I hate to see original work disappear. Of most use was the minor league information, exhibition games, and draftee information that helped me separate players with similar names. Perhaps some alternative solution can be found, like doing a dump to a .PDF in the Members only section.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:09 pm Yes, I have permanently shut down the Pro Football Archives website.
Thanks for all the years of your hard work. You had many things others simply did not have.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TodMaher wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:09 pm Yes, I have permanently shut down the Pro Football Archives website.
I am sorry to hear that, but I know how much time, effort, and money go into a website, especially one with as much information as yours. Thank you for providing it for MANY years to help researchers such as myself.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Thank goodness I consulted it before working on my next book! It was very useful for chasing down news articles related to non-NFL and pre-NFL games and schedules. I cited the site many, many times for my latest book. There was a lot of information there that never made it to Wikipedia.

I do recall seeing other sites basically copying your site and then rebranding the information. That had to be frustrating.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Gary Najman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:16 pm
JohnTurney wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:32 pm Didn't know it was gone. What a loss. They had things Pro Football Reference didn't. And things Pro Football Database didn't.

I agree. It had CFL, WFL, USFL, NFL Europe and even 60's minor league stats. It was one of my favorite research tools. I hope it will come back.
In the meantime, if you need to see the information, you can view the cached versions of the pages using a Google search. I have no idea how long they maintain caches.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Thanks for your work Tod, really appreciate it.

Here's a link to the way back machine to archive old pages.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220701000 ... chives.com

It can get you pretty deep.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210414230 ... cfllb.html