'Bye-'bye, Pac-12

racepug

'Bye-'bye, Pac-12

Post by racepug »

Well over 100 years of great players, great teams, great games, and great memories. Thanks to $$$ and greed (and, I suppose, the new college athletics landscape), it's all gone by the wayside.

Last night was the very last regular season game in the Pac-12's (at least as we've come to know it over the last 108 years) history as the California Golden Bears went south and handed the UCLA Bruins (who were no doubt so very pleased with themselves after thumping USC one week earlier) a 33 - 7 shellacking, giving Cal enough wins to become "bowl eligible" (a phrase that I've very much come to hate as it never even used to exist).

Now USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington are off to the B1G; Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State to the Big XII; Cal and Stanford to the ACC (we'll see how long THAT lasts), and WSU and Ore. St. off to. . .yet to be determined.

Goodbye, Pac-12 - it was a GREAT, 100+ year run!
ChrisBabcock

Re: 'Bye-'bye, Pac-12

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I don't follow college football that closely, but....
Cal and Stanford to the ACC
Umwhat? :shock:
racepug

Post by racepug »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:08 pm I don't follow college football that closely, but....
Yeah, it's crazy. I'm not sure the specifics but after 8 of the Pac-12's member schools opted to depart (presumably for "greener pastures") only Cal, Stanford, Ore. St. and Wazzu were left of what had been the Pac-12 and then, somehow, some way Cal and Stanford agreed to join the Atlantic Coast Conference. I know - it makes PERFECT sense. :roll:
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Growing up I always looked forward to the final weekend of the college season with the annual Ohio State-Michigan battle at noon followed by the USC-UCLA game afterwards. We don't know what the new Big 10 schedule will look like, but with all the other changes in the major sports it continues the trend of everything going away over time. Is this progress??
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

College ball is all fucked up. Can I say that? Guess I just did.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

RichardBak wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:11 pm College ball is all fucked up. Can I say that? Guess I just did.
I started following the Pac 12 when it was the Pac 8 conference around 1970 (Jim Plunkett's senior season). The powers that be have destroyed one of the best conferences in America. I'm totally turned off by this. Greed wins again.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Retro Rider wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:21 am
RichardBak wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:11 pm College ball is all fucked up. Can I say that? Guess I just did.
I started following the Pac 12 when it was the Pac 8 conference around 1970 (Jim Plunkett's senior season). The powers that be have destroyed one of the best conferences in America. I'm totally turned off by this. Greed wins again.
I've said many times (including on this board) that so much in life is ruined by bucks and bullshit. Tradition, the common good and common sense get trampled by greed and power grabs. And not just sports. It's just never-ending. And yeah, get off my lawn....
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

racepug wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:16 pm
ChrisBabcock wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:08 pm I don't follow college football that closely, but....
Yeah, it's crazy. I'm not sure the specifics but after 8 of the Pac-12's member schools opted to depart (presumably for "greener pastures") only Cal, Stanford, Ore. St. and Wazzu were left of what had been the Pac-12 and then, somehow, some way Cal and Stanford agreed to join the Atlantic Coast Conference. I know - it makes PERFECT sense. :roll:
Well, the Rose Bowl WAS played at Duke once - so there's that.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

RichardBak wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:21 am
Retro Rider wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:21 am
I've said many times (including on this board) that so much in life is ruined by bucks and bullshit. Tradition, the common good and common sense get trampled by greed and power grabs. And not just sports. It's just never-ending. And yeah, get off my lawn....
And the 12-team playoff is going to be another example. During one of the games they posted that no 2-loss team has ever made the playoff. Soon, we'll have three-loss teams in the playoffs. I never thought I'd say this - but I actually miss the BCS. And the Bowl Alliance. Laughs - to echo someone else - is this progress?
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:21 am I've said many times (including on this board) that so much in life is ruined by bucks and bullshit. Tradition, the common good and common sense get trampled by greed and power grabs. And not just sports. It's just never-ending. And yeah, get off my lawn....
"Bucks and Bullshit!" The new American Tradition...

I also remember watching the old Pac 8.
(Old man voice) Them's were the days!